capturing screen images from mplayer/xine/....? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on capturing screen images from mplayer/xine/....? - Mandriva ; I need to capture some screen shots off a dvd I am playing. I used to do this with xv and ogle, but ogle is not working for some reason ( it just returns with nothing displayed). So I was ...

  1. capturing screen images from mplayer/xine/....?

    I need to capture some screen shots off a dvd I am playing. I used to do
    this with xv and ogle, but ogle is not working for some reason ( it just
    returns with nothing displayed). So I was trying xine and mplayer, but if I
    use xv or gimp to capture the screen shot, all I get is a big blue
    rectangle where the image was . The boarder bumf from mplayer or xine is
    there but the image itself is missing in action.

    Any suggestions of how to do it?

  2. Re: capturing screen images from mplayer/xine/....?

    Unruh staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I need to capture some screen shots off a dvd I am playing. So I was
    > trying xine and mplayer, but if I use xv or gimp to capture the screen
    > shot, all I get is a big blue rectangle where the image was . The
    > [border] from mplayer or xine is there, but the image itself is missing
    > in action.

    PWN3D by XVideo, eh? This is, oddly enough, OS-independent and related
    to the way modern video cards work. You can't just grab the framebuffer
    because the images the movie player is sending to the screen aren't *in*
    the framebuffer; they're elsewhere.

    First thing to try is to use the video player's screen-capture utility
    instead of an external capture utility if you can. There's a code stub
    in gmplayer for this, but I don't know whether it's hooked up to an
    actual function or not. xine allows you to press a key and grab a
    screenshot; default key is "t" and the shots will be written to
    $MOVIE_TITLE-$N.png . Seems to work fairly well AFAICT. HTH,

    --
    "Bother," said Pooh. "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
    phasers on the Heffalump; Piglet, meet me in transporter room three."

  3. Re: capturing screen images from mplayer/xine/....?

    I demand that Unruh may or may not have written...

    > I need to capture some screen shots off a dvd I am playing. I used to do
    > this with xv and ogle, but ogle is not working for some reason ( it just
    > returns with nothing displayed). So I was trying xine and mplayer, but if I
    > use xv or gimp to capture the screen shot, all I get is a big blue
    > rectangle where the image was. The boarder bumf from mplayer or xine is
    > there but the image itself is missing in action.

    > Any suggestions of how to do it?

    Force use of OpenGL or xshm. Preferably xshm, IME.

    Alternatively, if having anything other than the video image in the
    screenshot doesn't matter, you should use the player's snapshot function, if
    it has one; gxine and xine-ui both do.

    | Kill all extremists!

    How can you govern a nation which has 246 kinds of cheese?

  4. Re: capturing screen images from mplayer/xine/....?

    Unruh wrote:
    > I need to capture some screen shots off a dvd I am playing. I used to do
    > this with xv and ogle, but ogle is not working for some reason ( it just
    > returns with nothing displayed). So I was trying xine and mplayer, but if I
    > use xv or gimp to capture the screen shot, all I get is a big blue
    > rectangle where the image was . The boarder bumf from mplayer or xine is
    > there but the image itself is missing in action.
    >
    > Any suggestions of how to do it?

    Mplayer supports you to save images, so you don't really need an external
    program to take screenshots.

    --

    //Aho

  5. Re: capturing screen images from mplayer/xine/....?

    "J.O. Aho" writes:

    >Unruh wrote:
    >> I need to capture some screen shots off a dvd I am playing. I used to do
    >> this with xv and ogle, but ogle is not working for some reason ( it just
    >> returns with nothing displayed). So I was trying xine and mplayer, but if I
    >> use xv or gimp to capture the screen shot, all I get is a big blue
    >> rectangle where the image was . The boarder bumf from mplayer or xine is
    >> there but the image itself is missing in action.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions of how to do it?
    >>

    >Mplayer supports you to save images, so you don't really need an external
    >program to take screenshots.

    I have tried to look at the mplayer man page, but cannot find this option.
    Perhaps you could give me a little clue as to where to look for this
    options?

    Thanks.

    >--

    > //Aho

  6. Re: capturing screen images from mplayer/xine/....?

    On 2007-05-08, Unruh wrote:
    > "J.O. Aho" writes:
    >
    >>Unruh wrote:
    >>> I need to capture some screen shots off a dvd I am playing. I used to do
    >>> this with xv and ogle, but ogle is not working for some reason ( it just
    >>> returns with nothing displayed). So I was trying xine and mplayer, but if I
    >>> use xv or gimp to capture the screen shot, all I get is a big blue
    >>> rectangle where the image was . The boarder bumf from mplayer or xine is
    >>> there but the image itself is missing in action.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions of how to do it?
    >>>

    >>Mplayer supports you to save images, so you don't really need an external
    >>program to take screenshots.

    > I have tried to look at the mplayer man page, but cannot find this option.
    > Perhaps you could give me a little clue as to where to look for this
    > options?

    Do 'man mplayer' (without the quotation marks). Press '/',
    type 'screenshot', and press the key. It should
    take you to the 's' command. The man page says that
    requires the -vf options, but YMMV.

    HTH

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  7. Re: capturing screen images from mplayer/xine/....?

    "Robert M. Riches Jr." wrote in

    [...]
    > YMMV

    Your milage may vary?

    --
    ~Ohmster
    ohmster at ohmster dot com

  8. Re: capturing screen images from mplayer/xine/....?

    On Mon, 07 May 2007 20:34:30 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    > I have tried to look at the mplayer man page, but cannot find this option.
    > Perhaps you could give me a little clue as to where to look for this
    > options?

    Try mplayer -vf screenshot filename, and then press s, to save a screenshot
    to shot0001.png.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  9. Re: capturing screen images from mplayer/xine/....?

    On 2007-05-08, Ohmster wrote:
    > "Robert M. Riches Jr." wrote in
    >
    > [...]
    >> YMMV

    > Your milage may vary?

    Yup, IIRC. (If I remember/recall correctly. :-)

    Somebody once told me there were too many TLAs. I asked
    what a TLA was. He said it means "Three Letter Acronym."

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  10. Re: capturing screen images from mplayer/xine/....?

    "Robert M. Riches Jr." writes:

    >On 2007-05-08, Unruh wrote:

    >>>Mplayer supports you to save images, so you don't really need an external
    >>>program to take screenshots.

    >> I have tried to look at the mplayer man page, but cannot find this option.
    >> Perhaps you could give me a little clue as to where to look for this
    >> options?

    >Do 'man mplayer' (without the quotation marks). Press '/',
    >type 'screenshot', and press the key. It should
    >take you to the 's' command. The man page says that
    >requires the -vf options, but YMMV.

    Thanks. I did finally find it and use it.
    mplayer -vf screenshot
    and then in the movie press s

  11. Re: capturing screen images from mplayer/xine/....?

    Ohmster wrote:
    > "Robert M. Riches Jr." wrote in
    >
    > [...]
    >> YMMV