Sound stopped working in Mandriva 2007 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Sound stopped working in Mandriva 2007 - Mandriva ; Hi My sound card has stopped working in Mandriva 2007. It was working fine this morning but I don't any sound out at all (its on a notebook, have turned the volume all the way up an plugged in a ...

  1. Sound stopped working in Mandriva 2007

    Hi

    My sound card has stopped working in Mandriva 2007. It was working fine
    this morning but I don't any sound out at all (its on a notebook, have
    turned the volume all the way up an plugged in a pair of head phones).
    Here is the information that I get for my card from MCC:

    Identification
    Vendor: ‎Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]

    Media class: ‎MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO

    Connection
    Bus: ‎PCI

    Bus PCI #: ‎0

    PCI device #: ‎2

    PCI function #: ‎7

    Vendor ID: ‎0x1039

    Device ID: ‎0x7012

    Sub vendor ID: ‎0x1734

    Sub device ID: ‎0x1055

    Driver
    Module: ‎snd-intel8x0

    Alternative drivers: ‎ali5455, i810_audio, nvaudio

    I have tried to play mp3s with Amarok and with mplayer, also videos with
    xine, vlc and mplayer and no sound from all. I have also tried changing
    the driver to the other options with out any luck.

    What could be the problem? What could I try to fix it? If you need any
    more information I'll gladly give it.

    Thanks
    Robert

  2. Re: Sound stopped working in Mandriva 2007

    Robert Cook wrote:
    > My sound card has stopped working in Mandriva 2007. It was working fine
    > this morning but I don't any sound out at all (its on a notebook, have
    > turned the volume all the way up an plugged in a pair of head phones).

    Check your connections. Unplug the headphones and see if the
    speaker works. If your headphones have their own battery, make
    sure the power switch is turned on.

    In a terminal window, run aslamixer, aumix, kmix, or some such
    and check if it is set to mute. Then check the volume control
    there. Tinker with speaker balance (on some machines, in past
    versions, an exact 50:50 split would send not send a signal to
    either speaker, but 49:51 worked fine?!). Tinker with other
    settings.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --