Mandriva 2007.1 lost my desktop icons - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva 2007.1 lost my desktop icons - Mandriva ; I was really enthused after buying the Power Pack of 2007 Spring, but now I'm annoyed. Did three clean installs and each one was different on the same computer. First Matisse worked fine. Good fun, but then on a reboot ...

  1. Mandriva 2007.1 lost my desktop icons

    I was really enthused after buying the Power Pack of 2007 Spring, but now
    I'm annoyed. Did three clean installs and each one was different on the
    same computer. First Matisse worked fine. Good fun, but then on a
    reboot the GUI for Gnome wouldn't load. Second clean install it wouldn't
    recognize the same graphics card it recognized the first time and I lost
    Matisse and 3D capability. Third clean install went so well I brought in
    my files from the backup disk and started actually using it, but it
    seemed sluggish. Got Gkrellm installed and saw my P4 3.4Ghz was at 90%
    CPU usage. Disabling file indexing seemed to stop it. Next login all my
    desktop icons were missing, my wallpaper wouldn't load and right click on
    the desktop didn't respond. After starting with Mandriva from Mandrake
    8.0 I was hoping for something better. If anyone can suggest a fix for
    me, maybe I'll put off loading that Ubuntu ISO I just burned.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  2. Re: Mandriva 2007.1 lost my desktop icons

    JTJersey wrote:

    > I was really enthused after buying the Power Pack of 2007 Spring, but now
    > I'm annoyed. Did three clean installs and each one was different on the
    > same computer. First Matisse worked fine. Good fun, but then on a
    > reboot the GUI for Gnome wouldn't load. Second clean install it wouldn't
    > recognize the same graphics card it recognized the first time and I lost
    > Matisse and 3D capability. Third clean install went so well I brought in
    > my files from the backup disk and started actually using it, but it
    > seemed sluggish. Got Gkrellm installed and saw my P4 3.4Ghz was at 90%
    > CPU usage. Disabling file indexing seemed to stop it. Next login all my
    > desktop icons were missing, my wallpaper wouldn't load and right click on
    > the desktop didn't respond. After starting with Mandriva from Mandrake
    > 8.0 I was hoping for something better. If anyone can suggest a fix for
    > me, maybe I'll put off loading that Ubuntu ISO I just burned.

    its almost unbelievable that u are having so many problems with mandriva.

    i would try a fresh install once again and when u get to the logon part
    check to make gnome has a check in it. also when u install after u have
    your graphics cards installed test it. it should test fine. test it before
    u get to the desktop.

    if that doesnt help u , then start over with ubuntu.

    --
    Love is all u need.

  3. Re: Mandriva 2007.1 lost my desktop icons

    JTJersey wrote:
    > I was really enthused after buying the Power Pack of 2007 Spring, but now
    > I'm annoyed. Did three clean installs and each one was different on the
    > same computer. First Matisse worked fine. Good fun, but then on a
    > reboot the GUI for Gnome wouldn't load. Second clean install it wouldn't
    > recognize the same graphics card it recognized the first time and I lost
    > Matisse and 3D capability. Third clean install went so well I brought in
    > my files from the backup disk and started actually using it, but it
    > seemed sluggish. Got Gkrellm installed and saw my P4 3.4Ghz was at 90%
    > CPU usage. Disabling file indexing seemed to stop it. Next login all my
    > desktop icons were missing, my wallpaper wouldn't load and right click on
    > the desktop didn't respond. After starting with Mandriva from Mandrake
    > 8.0 I was hoping for something better. If anyone can suggest a fix for
    > me, maybe I'll put off loading that Ubuntu ISO I just burned.

    Three installs and every time it's completely different?

    Hmm... seen the same problems about a year ago...

    It turned out to be a faulty harddisk. Files where corrupted
    or got missing doing very strange things with the installed
    OS. Every install did go wrong and showed some remarkable
    but undesired effects...

    Also I've seen the same thing happening with damaged
    memory/hardware. Don trust the power-on self test. It's
    absolutely no guarantee your memory is ok. Use a decent test
    program like memtest86. Be sure your CD/DVD player is in
    good working order. At last - check your motherboard.. they
    *can* get faulty somtimes...

    So - are you sure the problems you have are not hardware
    related?

    Just my 2 cents...

  4. Re: Mandriva 2007.1 lost my desktop icons

    On Mon, 07 May 2007 01:58:46 GMT, JTJersey wrote:
    > I was really enthused after buying the Power Pack of 2007 Spring, but now
    > I'm annoyed. Did three clean installs and each one was different on the
    > same computer.

    Can we assume you have been to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/, set your
    main,contrib, update mirrors and installed all the updates?

    I run KDE, disabled beagle Desktop Search to get more performance and
    every once in a while the mouse is offset a few inches from where it
    is supposed to be.

    Other than that, it have been pretty stable for me. You might want to
    run memtest overnight to rule out memory problems.

  5. Re: Mandriva 2007.1 lost my desktop icons

    > Three installs and every time it's completely different?
    >
    > Hmm... seen the same problems about a year ago...
    >
    > It turned out to be a faulty harddisk. Files where corrupted or got
    > missing doing very strange things with the installed OS. Every install did
    > go wrong and showed some remarkable but undesired effects...
    >
    > Also I've seen the same thing happening with damaged memory/hardware. Don
    > trust the power-on self test. It's absolutely no guarantee your memory is
    > ok. Use a decent test program like memtest86. Be sure your CD/DVD player
    > is in good working order. At last - check your motherboard.. they *can*
    > get faulty somtimes...
    >
    > So - are you sure the problems you have are not hardware related?
    >
    > Just my 2 cents...

    I ran memtest86 on each 1Gig memory chip individually. The first chip was
    flagged with errors after about 20 minutes. Pulled that chip and tested the
    other one and memtest flagged the identical errors in just about 20 minutes.
    Hmmmm. Put a known to be good 256Mb chip into the board and ran memtest on
    that. It again flagged the identical errors. Tested all three chips with
    memtest using a different machine and no errors were reported even after an
    hour and a half of running on each chip. Now I'm thinking a motherboard
    issue? As I'm staring at the motherboard with a flashlight I'm seeing two
    large capacitors next to the cpu socket that appear to be slightly swollen
    on the top. This is a Biostar P4M80-M4 motherboard and it's not quite two
    years old. I was thinking that the bogus capacitor problem was straightened
    out three or four years ago. I hate to think that they're still finding
    their way into circulation, but those two capacitors are difinitely not as
    flat on the top as the rest of them.

  6. I (cautiously) apologize to Mandriva

    On Mon, 07 May 2007 01:58:46 +0000, JTJersey wrote:

    > I was really enthused after buying the Power Pack of 2007 Spring, but
    > now I'm annoyed. Did three clean installs and each one was different on
    > the same computer. First Matisse worked fine. Good fun, but then on a
    > reboot the GUI for Gnome wouldn't load. Second clean install it
    > wouldn't recognize the same graphics card it recognized the first time
    > and I lost Matisse and 3D capability. Third clean install went so well
    > I brought in my files from the backup disk and started actually using
    > it, but it seemed sluggish. Got Gkrellm installed and saw my P4 3.4Ghz
    > was at 90% CPU usage. Disabling file indexing seemed to stop it. Next
    > login all my desktop icons were missing, my wallpaper wouldn't load and
    > right click on the desktop didn't respond. After starting with
    > Mandriva from Mandrake 8.0 I was hoping for something better. If anyone
    > can suggest a fix for me, maybe I'll put off loading that Ubuntu ISO I
    > just burned.

    After determining that my memory chips were not defective, that my new
    hard drive was not malfunctioning, that the video card was in perfect
    condition, that there was no overheating issues and nothing was dirty or
    loose, I've come to the conclusion that three capacitors on the
    motherboard are going bad. After replacing the Biostar P4M80-M4
    motherboard with a new P4M80-M4 from inventory, the fourth clean install
    of Mandriva 2007.1 went smoothly with the exception of my nVidia FX5500
    graphics card which I eventually got configured (more or less). I still
    can't get Mettise or 3D effects to work (the system crashes whenever I
    select one of them), but otherwise all appears to be normal. At this
    point Mandriva 2007.1 seems to be very nice. Thanks to all for your
    input.

  7. Re: I (cautiously) apologize to Mandriva

    JTJersey wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 May 2007 01:58:46 +0000, JTJersey wrote:

    [snip]

    > After determining that my memory chips were not defective, that my new
    > hard drive was not malfunctioning, that the video card was in perfect
    > condition, that there was no overheating issues and nothing was dirty or
    > loose, I've come to the conclusion that three capacitors on the
    > motherboard are going bad. After replacing the Biostar P4M80-M4
    > motherboard with a new P4M80-M4 from inventory, the fourth clean install
    > of Mandriva 2007.1 went smoothly with the exception of my nVidia FX5500
    > graphics card which I eventually got configured (more or less). I still
    > can't get Mettise or 3D effects to work (the system crashes whenever I
    > select one of them), but otherwise all appears to be normal. At this
    > point Mandriva 2007.1 seems to be very nice. Thanks to all for your
    > input.

    Well - nice to hear you got your first problems solved. As I
    suspected it turned out to be faulty hardware. You will
    recognize the symptoms from now on, so ... after all its was
    a useful, albeit nasty, experience.

    Now for the video problems..

    I hope the faulty mainboard does not damaged your videocard
    (most times it does not).

    To get 3D effects in working order you have to use the
    (closed source) nvidia drivers..

    Be sure you have the right repository's (plf) added (use
    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/) and start up "Configure your
    computer" (Madriva Linux Control Center)...

    Go to software management and put "nvidia" (without quotes)
    in the search bar. Select
    dkms-nvidia97xx-1.0-9755.2plf2007.1.i586,
    nvidia97xx-1.0-9755.2plf2007.1.i586 and
    nvidia97xx-kernel-2.6.17-13mdv-9755-1mdk.i586 (most times it
    is enough to just select one of them, but please check it out)..

    Close software management and start a console. Type "su"
    (again without quotes) and give your root password. Now type
    XFdrake (be sure to type the first two letters as capitols).

    You will get a configuration screen. Now (re)select your
    video card and save the configuration (selelect OK). You
    will get a message there is a newer driver available and if
    you want to install it. Say Yes here and you will get the
    message you have to log out an d in again to finalise the
    install (if you do not have installed all packages they will
    be installed now).

    Log out, but do not log in again(!). You first have to
    restart the X-Server. Use the menu on the bottom of your
    screen to restart the X-server and then log in...

    Now you can install and use Beryl, Compiz etc...

    Hope this helps...

+ Reply to Thread