Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007 - Mandriva ; Tom Cumming wrote: > Apologies - just noticed someone else has asked the same question!! See my reply to earlier question....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    Tom Cumming wrote:

    > Apologies - just noticed someone else has asked the same question!!

    See my reply to earlier question.

  2. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    Klaatu wrote:
    > Tom Cumming wrote:
    >

    >>Apologies - just noticed someone else has asked the same question!!

    > See my reply to earlier question.

    Do you mean that the downloaded DVD image shows up in Konqueror as 4 x
    CD images?

    If so, it's probably worth mentioning that we're talking about a thread
    called "Mandriva Spring Question", and a post dated Sun 6 May 2007 19:43

    - because the title of that thread didn't mention CDs, so I missed it,
    and others googling for this may miss it too.

    Did you mean the downloaded ISO appears as CD images, or is it something
    to do with BitTorrent? I only ask because I know someone who can
    download (but not burn) the DVD ISO for me under Windows, and getting a
    4GB iso home on my 2GB mp3 player will be a small pain.

    Frank

  3. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    On 2007-05-08, Frank Peelo wrote:
    > Klaatu wrote:
    >> Tom Cumming wrote:
    >>

    >>>Apologies - just noticed someone else has asked the same question!!

    >> See my reply to earlier question.

    > Do you mean that the downloaded DVD image shows up in Konqueror as 4 x
    > CD images?
    >
    > If so, it's probably worth mentioning that we're talking about a thread
    > called "Mandriva Spring Question", and a post dated Sun 6 May 2007 19:43
    >
    > - because the title of that thread didn't mention CDs, so I missed it,
    > and others googling for this may miss it too.
    >
    > Did you mean the downloaded ISO appears as CD images, or is it something
    > to do with BitTorrent? I only ask because I know someone who can
    > download (but not burn) the DVD ISO for me under Windows, and getting a
    > 4GB iso home on my 2GB mp3 player will be a small pain.
    >
    > Frank

    My BitTorrent of Mdv2007.1 produced this:

    [mark@tavy Download]$ ls -l mand*
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 mark mark 352421 Apr 21 20:03 mandriva-linux-2007-spring-pwp-dvd.i586.torrent

    mandriva-linux-2007-spring-pwp-dvd.i586:
    total 4507524
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 mark mark 216374 Apr 23 00:07 mandriva-linux-2007-spring-pwp-dvd-i586.idx
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 mark mark 4610955264 Apr 22 03:17 mandriva-linux-2007-spring-pwp-dvd-i586.iso
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 mark mark 314 Apr 23 00:07 mandriva-linux-2007-spring-pwp-dvd-i586.iso.md5.asc
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 mark mark 322 Apr 23 00:07 mandriva-linux-2007-spring-pwp-dvd-i586.iso.sha1.asc
    [mark@tavy Download]$

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  4. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    Frank Peelo wrote:

    > Klaatu wrote:
    >> Tom Cumming wrote:
    >>

    >>>Apologies - just noticed someone else has asked the same question!!

    >> See my reply to earlier question.

    > Do you mean that the downloaded DVD image shows up in Konqueror as 4 x
    > CD images?
    >
    > If so, it's probably worth mentioning that we're talking about a thread
    > called "Mandriva Spring Question", and a post dated Sun 6 May 2007 19:43
    >
    > - because the title of that thread didn't mention CDs, so I missed it,
    > and others googling for this may miss it too.
    >
    > Did you mean the downloaded ISO appears as CD images, or is it something
    > to do with BitTorrent? I only ask because I know someone who can
    > download (but not burn) the DVD ISO for me under Windows, and getting a
    > 4GB iso home on my 2GB mp3 player will be a small pain.
    >
    > Frank

    I'll repost my reply here.

    I recently installed my first DVD burner, really like my Samsung SH-S182M
    from Newegg. I downloaded the torrent link,
    http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free which was the DVD iso. This can
    be burned as a single 4.3 GB DVD or as 4 CD's. To burn as a DVD just open
    K3B and choose burn DVD iso and point it at the download which is what I
    did. If you use Konqueror to look at the download it shows up as 4 CD's
    plus some additional info. Right clicking on one of these and selecting
    open with K3B brings up K3B with the single CD you selected. I tried this
    and got CD1 burnt successfully. So I got both the DVD and CD1 from the
    same image, assume the other CD's will also burn. Now have a rescue CD,
    which booted successfully, as well as the complete install DVD. First time
    I've seen this behavior since I haven't had a DVD burner before, appreciate
    feedback if it works for you.

  5. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    snip

    > I downloaded the DVD version myself, and cannot reproduce the behaviour
    > you describe on my Gnome-based desktop (and it's really not worth my
    > installing KDE when I'd only then wipe it and install the new version.)

    snip

    KDE can be installed as an alternate desktop if you have the disk space.
    Have no idea why the CD's show up in KDE's Konqueror with the downloaded
    DVD iso. If you have a live CD, KDE based, it would be interesting to take
    a look.

  6. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    On Thu, 10 May 2007 17:22:39 GMT, "Tom Cumming"
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 08 May 2007 08:08:28 -0700, Klaatu wrote:
    >
    >> I recently installed my first DVD burner, really like my Samsung SH-S182M
    >> from Newegg. I downloaded the torrent link,
    >> http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free which was the DVD iso. This can
    >> be burned as a single 4.3 GB DVD or as 4 CD's. To burn as a DVD just open
    >> K3B and choose burn DVD iso and point it at the download which is what I
    >> did. If you use Konqueror to look at the download it shows up as 4 CD's
    >> plus some additional info. Right clicking on one of these and selecting
    >> open with K3B brings up K3B with the single CD you selected. I tried this
    >> and got CD1 burnt successfully. So I got both the DVD and CD1 from the
    >> same image, assume the other CD's will also burn. Now have a rescue CD,
    >> which booted successfully, as well as the complete install DVD. First time
    >> I've seen this behavior since I haven't had a DVD burner before, appreciate
    >> feedback if it works for you.

    >I downloaded the DVD version myself, and cannot reproduce the behaviour
    >you describe on my Gnome-based desktop (and it's really not worth my
    >installing KDE when I'd only then wipe it and install the new version.)
    >
    >I discovered the following article doing a google search which suggests
    >the 4-CD version is on the
    >way:
    >http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SpringCds (though I am
    >surprised they have not made this a bit more prominant on the website.)
    >
    >I was going to try and install from the image file on my USB external hard
    >drive, but then realised because it's FAT32 it cannot take the ISO file
    >due to FAT32's 4Gb limit! So I'm waiting until June it looks like, or I
    >could install from the live CD and download any other packages I need
    >after installing.

    Check Google Groops. Someone in the last few weeks suggested mounting
    the ISO as a loop device and installing from the hard drive.

    Harvie

  7. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    Klaatu wrote:
    > snip
    >> I downloaded the DVD version myself, and cannot reproduce the behaviour
    >> you describe on my Gnome-based desktop (and it's really not worth my
    >> installing KDE when I'd only then wipe it and install the new version.)
    >>

    > snip
    >
    > KDE can be installed as an alternate desktop if you have the disk space.
    > Have no idea why the CD's show up in KDE's Konqueror with the downloaded
    > DVD iso. If you have a live CD, KDE based, it would be interesting to take
    > a look.

    I tried it, too, only I use KDE. I can't make KDE open the downloaded
    iso, either. At first, all it wanted to do was call up K3b, but I tried
    again after eliminating *.iso from the file associations and Konqueror
    refused to open it. I did get my iso file by straight download from a US
    mirror, rather than through BitTorrent, but that shouldn't make any
    difference, should it? I always thought they were supposed to be the same.

    TJ

  8. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    TJ wrote:

    > Klaatu wrote:
    >> snip
    >>> I downloaded the DVD version myself, and cannot reproduce the behaviour
    >>> you describe on my Gnome-based desktop (and it's really not worth my
    >>> installing KDE when I'd only then wipe it and install the new version.)
    >>>

    >> snip
    >>
    >> KDE can be installed as an alternate desktop if you have the disk space.
    >> Have no idea why the CD's show up in KDE's Konqueror with the downloaded
    >> DVD iso. If you have a live CD, KDE based, it would be interesting to
    >> take a look.

    > I tried it, too, only I use KDE. I can't make KDE open the downloaded
    > iso, either. At first, all it wanted to do was call up K3b, but I tried
    > again after eliminating *.iso from the file associations and Konqueror
    > refused to open it. I did get my iso file by straight download from a US
    > mirror, rather than through BitTorrent, but that shouldn't make any
    > difference, should it? I always thought they were supposed to be the same.
    >
    > TJ

    No clue here. Just looked and Konqueror and K3B still show the CD's unless
    I select burn DVD iso image, bittorrent 32bit version.

  9. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    Klaatu wrote:

    > No clue here. Just looked and Konqueror and K3B still show the CD's
    > unless I select burn DVD iso image, bittorrent 32bit version.

    What are the full names of the iso files?

    I suspect that what you've got is not 2007.1 (Spring) but 2007.0.

    Jim

  10. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    Tom Cumming wrote:

    > I downloaded the DVD version myself, and cannot reproduce the behaviour
    > you describe on my Gnome-based desktop (and it's really not worth my
    > installing KDE when I'd only then wipe it and install the new version.)
    >
    > I discovered the following article doing a google search which suggests
    > the 4-CD version is on the
    > way:
    > http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SpringCds (though I am
    > surprised they have not made this a bit more prominant on the website.)
    >
    > I was going to try and install from the image file on my USB external hard
    > drive, but then realised because it's FAT32 it cannot take the ISO file
    > due to FAT32's 4Gb limit! So I'm waiting until June it looks like, or I
    > could install from the live CD and download any other packages I need
    > after installing.

    It's all very strange. I read the article above, and if Klaatu is
    correct, it doesn't make any sense. If the DVD release contains the CD
    iso files then what is it that they have to do to get the "official" CD
    iso files ready to release? Only two possibilities come to mind: Either
    Klaatu is wrong somehow, or the guy on the Mandriva site is lying to us
    to shut us up.

    I dislike entertaining either possibility.

    TJ

  11. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    James Kerr wrote:

    > Klaatu wrote:
    >

    >> No clue here. Just looked and Konqueror and K3B still show the CD's
    >> unless I select burn DVD iso image, bittorrent 32bit version.

    > What are the full names of the iso files?
    >
    > I suspect that what you've got is not 2007.1 (Spring) but 2007.0.
    >

    > Jim

    Opening K3B and selecting tools/burn DVD iso and going to the download
    directory yields mandriva-linux-2007-spring-free-dvd.i586.iso. Opening
    Konqueror or opening K3B and just going to the directory without selecting
    burn DVD iso yields
    mandriva-free-2007-CD1.586.iso as well as the other CD's plus some
    additional info. The idx files do show 2007.0, hadn't looked that close
    before.

    After a clean install from the DVD on my media machine it boots up to select
    Boot Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring running kernel 2.6.17-14 (just updated from
    2.6.17-13). The desktop panel shows beagle and the new update icon and
    some nice screensaver images I've never seen before. Looking at one of the
    installed packages I see bash-3.1-9mdv2007.1.i586, the other installed
    files are also 2007.1.i586.

    Seem to have 2007.1 installed. Only wild guess is that somehow the
    directory got cross-linked to an older one if that's possible, although I
    sort of remember deleting the older download.

  12. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    On Sun, 13 May 2007 20:54:43 -0400, Klaatu wrote:

    > Seem to have 2007.1 installed. Only wild guess is that somehow the
    > directory got cross-linked to an older one if that's possible, although I
    > sort of remember deleting the older download.

    If you haven't already, run (as root) "urpmi mlocate" and "updatedb".

    Then try "locate CD1", or "locate .iso"

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  13. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 May 2007 20:54:43 -0400, Klaatu
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Seem to have 2007.1 installed. Only wild guess is that somehow the
    >> directory got cross-linked to an older one if that's possible, although I
    >> sort of remember deleting the older download.

    > If you haven't already, run (as root) "urpmi mlocate" and "updatedb".
    >
    > Then try "locate CD1", or "locate .iso"
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Finally found the problem. Basically was looking in the wrong directory,
    about par for the course lately, one step forward and two steps back.
    Arrrgh!

  14. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    Klaatu wrote:
    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >

    >>On Sun, 13 May 2007 20:54:43 -0400, Klaatu
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>Seem to have 2007.1 installed. Only wild guess is that somehow the
    >>>directory got cross-linked to an older one if that's possible, although I
    >>>sort of remember deleting the older download.

    >>If you haven't already, run (as root) "urpmi mlocate" and "updatedb".
    >>
    >>Then try "locate CD1", or "locate .iso"
    >>
    >>Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>

    > Finally found the problem. Basically was looking in the wrong directory,
    > about par for the course lately, one step forward and two steps back.
    > Arrrgh!

    So, when I finish getting the DVD iso back home on my mp3 player, and
    stitch all the pieces back together, it's not going to go onto CDs?

  15. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    Frank Peelo wrote:

    > Klaatu wrote:
    >> David W. Hodgins wrote:

    >>>If you haven't already, run (as root) "urpmi mlocate" and "updatedb".
    >>>
    >>>Then try "locate CD1", or "locate .iso"
    >>>
    >>>Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>>

    >> Finally found the problem. Basically was looking in the wrong directory,
    >> about par for the course lately, one step forward and two steps back.
    >> Arrrgh!

    > So, when I finish getting the DVD iso back home on my mp3 player, and
    > stitch all the pieces back together, it's not going to go onto CDs?

    Nope, just one big DVD iso with idx, asc, and sha1 files. (Maybe I should
    start up a need new eyeglasses fund).

  16. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    Klaatu wrote:
    > Frank Peelo wrote:
    >

    >>Klaatu wrote:

    >>>Finally found the problem. Basically was looking in the wrong directory,
    >>>about par for the course lately, one step forward and two steps back.
    >>>Arrrgh!

    >>So, when I finish getting the DVD iso back home on my mp3 player, and
    >>stitch all the pieces back together, it's not going to go onto CDs?

    > Nope, just one big DVD iso with idx, asc, and sha1 files. (Maybe I should
    > start up a need new eyeglasses fund).

    I'd blame lack of sleep. I did read your earlier post, but I wanted to
    be sure I understood it. Not going blind, just thick.

  17. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    >>>So, when I finish getting the DVD iso back home on my mp3 player, and
    >>>stitch all the pieces back together, it's not going to go onto CDs?

    >> Nope, just one big DVD iso with idx, asc, and sha1 files. (Maybe I
    >> should start up a need new eyeglasses fund).

    > I'd blame lack of sleep. I did read your earlier post, but I wanted to
    > be sure I understood it. Not going blind, just thick.

    Doing a CSI, in a free up disk space effort thought I'd deleted 2007.0 from
    the 50 GB partition I use for downloads, apparently hadn't, memory error.
    Downloaded DVD iso with Azureus which put the file in a similarly named
    sub-directory which I hadn't noticed, eyesight error and/or lack of sleep.
    Now I know why companies don't let old folks work for a living. Only
    social redeeming value, the kernel developers got my bug complaint fix for
    the HP5300C scanner into kernel 2.6.21.1, possibly 2.6.21 but I didn't
    check that kernel.

  18. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    Klaatu wrote:

    >>>Nope, just one big DVD iso with idx, asc, and sha1 files. (Maybe I
    >>>should start up a need new eyeglasses fund).

    >>I'd blame lack of sleep. I did read your earlier post, but I wanted to
    >>be sure I understood it. Not going blind, just thick.

    > Doing a CSI, in a free up disk space effort thought I'd deleted 2007.0 from
    > the 50 GB partition I use for downloads, apparently hadn't, memory error.
    > Downloaded DVD iso with Azureus which put the file in a similarly named
    > sub-directory which I hadn't noticed, eyesight error and/or lack of sleep.

    Oh. Thought you were complaining about my eyesight, not noticing your
    post earlier, which had answered my question (but I wasn't sure I had
    understood it).

    > Now I know why companies don't let old folks work for a living. Only
    > social redeeming value, the kernel developers got my bug complaint fix for
    > the HP5300C scanner into kernel 2.6.21.1, possibly 2.6.21 but I didn't
    > check that kernel.

    But looking at a mirror,
    http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/mandrake/Ma...al/iso/2007.1/
    there's a mandriva-linux-2007-spring-free-mini.iso which is only 695MB.
    There's also a mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-GNOME-cdrom-i586.iso, so I
    guess mini != one. Think I'll have to download that and try it out, when
    my new hard drive arrives in the post... any day now... assuming postie
    hasn't smashed it... won't be holding my breath.

    Frank

  19. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    Frank Peelo wrote:

    > But looking at a mirror,
    > http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/mandrake/Ma...al/iso/2007.1/
    > there's a mandriva-linux-2007-spring-free-mini.iso which is only 695MB.
    > There's also a mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-GNOME-cdrom-i586.iso, so I
    > guess mini != one. Think I'll have to download that and try it out, when
    > my new hard drive arrives in the post... any day now... assuming postie
    > hasn't smashed it... won't be holding my breath.

    The ONE disks contain proprietary video drivers and are live CD's (can be
    run without being installed, but can be installed from a desktop link).
    The mini contains only Free Software and is not a live CD.

    Jim

  20. Re: 4-CD version of spring 2007

    James Kerr wrote:
    > Frank Peelo wrote:
    >

    >>But looking at a mirror,
    >>http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/mandrake/Ma...al/iso/2007.1/
    >>there's a mandriva-linux-2007-spring-free-mini.iso which is only 695MB.
    >>There's also a mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-GNOME-cdrom-i586.iso, so I
    >>guess mini != one. Think I'll have to download that and try it out, when
    >>my new hard drive arrives in the post... any day now... assuming postie
    >>hasn't smashed it... won't be holding my breath.
    >>

    > The ONE disks contain proprietary video drivers and are live CD's (can be
    > run without being installed, but can be installed from a desktop link).
    > The mini contains only Free Software and is not a live CD.

    Thanks.

    The ONE I knew about. The mini was new to me, and I didn't even see it
    on http://www.mandriva.com/download or
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Cho..._right_edition
    So I was just wondering. So it's like cd1 of the cd release then?

    Frank

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast