Spring - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Spring - Mandriva ; Hi to this Mandriva group. I follow it daily. Been using Mandriva (Mandrake) constantly for several years. I commend the folk here for the help given to new users. I wonder at times what motivates those in the northern hemisphere ...

  1. Spring

    Hi to this Mandriva group.
    I follow it daily.
    Been using Mandriva (Mandrake) constantly for several years.

    I commend the folk here for the help given to new users.

    I wonder at times what motivates those in the northern
    hemisphere to adapt names as though the southern hemisphere
    does not exist.

    The updated Mandriva named "spring" surely must be the Autumn
    update to me, seeing as how I live in Australia.
    I just don't follow the mentality.

    Cheers to all with a big smile.
    Don.

  2. Re: Spring

    don wrote:

    > Hi to this Mandriva group.
    > I follow it daily.
    > Been using Mandriva (Mandrake) constantly for several years.
    >
    > I commend the folk here for the help given to new users.
    >
    > I wonder at times what motivates those in the northern
    > hemisphere to adapt names as though the southern hemisphere
    > does not exist.
    >
    > The updated Mandriva named "spring" surely must be the Autumn
    > update to me, seeing as how I live in Australia.
    > I just don't follow the mentality.
    >
    > Cheers to all with a big smile.
    > Don.

    well they had to call it something.

    why not spring, spring is when things begin to grow again.

    maybe thats the mentality . hopefully u can follow it

    --
    Love is all u need.

  3. Re: Spring

    On Sun, 06 May 2007 11:08:12 +0930, don :

    > The updated Mandriva named "spring" surely must be the Autumn
    > update to me, seeing as how I live in Australia.

    And Windows® Vista renamed to "myopic" perhaps

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

  4. Re: Spring

    On 2007-05-06, don wrote:

    > The updated Mandriva named "spring" surely must be the Autumn
    > update to me, seeing as how I live in Australia.
    > I just don't follow the mentality.
    >
    > Cheers to all with a big smile.
    > Don.

    You might want to raise that with Mandriva Marketing peeps!

    Lordy

  5. Re: Spring

    On 2007-05-06, don wrote:

    > The updated Mandriva named "spring" surely must be the Autumn
    > update to me, seeing as how I live in Australia.
    > I just don't follow the mentality.

    You have to have an IQ of more than 47...

    I guess you don't realize that the maintainers of Mandriva live in the
    Northern Hemisphere? Duh.

    --
    "Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

  6. Re: Spring

    On Sun, 06 May 2007 11:08:12 +0930, don wrote:

    > Hi to this Mandriva group.
    > I follow it daily.
    > Been using Mandriva (Mandrake) constantly for several years.
    >
    > I commend the folk here for the help given to new users.
    >
    > I wonder at times what motivates those in the northern
    > hemisphere to adapt names as though the southern hemisphere
    > does not exist.
    >
    > The updated Mandriva named "spring" surely must be the Autumn
    > update to me, seeing as how I live in Australia.
    > I just don't follow the mentality.
    >
    > Cheers to all with a big smile.
    > Don.

    I don't even want to go there

  7. Re: Spring

    don wrote:
    > I wonder at times what motivates those in the northern hemisphere to
    > adapt names as though the southern hemisphere does not exist.

    The fact that they are in the northern hemisphere is the
    motivating factor. They look out the window, and call it as
    they see it.

    > The updated Mandriva named "spring" surely must be the Autumn update to
    > me, seeing as how I live in Australia.

    Create your own version, and name it as you wish, perhaps keyed
    to how the weather looks when you look your your window.

    > I just don't follow the mentality.

    It is not a matter of mentality. It is a matter of context, or
    environment if you prefer than term.

    > Cheers to all with a big smile.

    I'll second that. Regardless of hemisphere.

    jim b.

    --
    Unix is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  8. Re: Spring

    On Sun, 06 May 2007 04:32:20 GMT
    "James D. Beard" wrote:

    > > I just don't follow the mentality.

    > It is not a matter of mentality. It is a matter of context, or
    > environment if you prefer than term.

    Which influences mentality. So, it's not an instance of being solely a product of the environment.

  9. Re: Spring

    > The updated Mandriva named "spring" surely must be the Autumn update to
    > me, seeing as how I live in Australia.
    > I just don't follow the mentality.

    =======================
    For your benefit and peace of mind ,from now on I suggest we refer to
    MDV2007.1

    Frank north of Scotland

  10. Re: Spring

    On 2007-05-06, Dan C wrote:
    > On 2007-05-06, don wrote:
    >
    >> The updated Mandriva named "spring" surely must be the Autumn
    >> update to me, seeing as how I live in Australia.
    >> I just don't follow the mentality.

    > You have to have an IQ of more than 47...
    >
    > I guess you don't realize that the maintainers of Mandriva live in the
    > Northern Hemisphere? Duh.

    Its OBVIOUS the OP is aware of this, from simply reading his post.

    However if they wish to sell into a worldwide market they might mave
    Spring on the shelves in a country where it is autumn.
    However that hasnt stopped companies putting out 2007 in 2006!,
    and 'spring' has positive connotations..

    Lordy

  11. Re: Spring

    On 2007-05-06, don wrote:
    > Hi to this Mandriva group.
    > I follow it daily.
    > Been using Mandriva (Mandrake) constantly for several years.
    >
    > I commend the folk here for the help given to new users.
    >
    > I wonder at times what motivates those in the northern
    > hemisphere to adapt names as though the southern hemisphere
    > does not exist.
    >
    > The updated Mandriva named "spring" surely must be the Autumn
    > update to me, seeing as how I live in Australia.
    > I just don't follow the mentality.
    >
    > Cheers to all with a big smile.
    > Don.

    We can get spring vegetables from you in our autumn, why should you not
    get spring software from us in your autumn?

    Why oh why oh why is the Linux mascot a southern hemisphere creature?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  12. Re: Spring

    don writes:

    > Hi to this Mandriva group.
    > I follow it daily.
    > Been using Mandriva (Mandrake) constantly for several years.
    >
    > I commend the folk here for the help given to new users.
    >
    > I wonder at times what motivates those in the northern hemisphere to
    > adapt names as though the southern hemisphere does not exist.
    >
    > The updated Mandriva named "spring" surely must be the Autumn update
    > to me, seeing as how I live in Australia.
    > I just don't follow the mentality.

    Yep, big conspiracy up here.
    We know how depressing the fall can be especially when you know
    others are enjoying the spring.

    But the worst people are in the Caribbean, they have the nerve
    to put ads on the television everywhere.

    > Cheers to all with a big smile.

    Mandriva, Endless Summer, coming soon.

  13. Re: Spring

    T@A wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 May 2007 04:32:20 GMT
    > "James D. Beard" wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just don't follow the mentality.

    >> It is not a matter of mentality. It is a matter of context, or
    >> environment if you prefer than term.

    > Which influences mentality. So, it's not an instance of being solely a product of the environment.

    True. But during my journey past three-score years,
    I have slowly begun to appreciate just how little
    real choice most have in most things. I am not thinking
    so much of the "big choices" about the nature of man, the
    universe, and the purposes of all but of the things we
    do, where we go, what we eat and drink, etc. The
    environment shapes us far far more than we shape it
    or bend it to our will.

    Concurrently, I have slowly come to appreciate just how
    important the little real choices are. Their effects
    compounded over time are the difference between the
    chimpanzee and other great apes and mankind.

    Of course, for some, there is no difference, but that is
    a different issue.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --