new user - Mandriva

This is a discussion on new user - Mandriva ; Hello, I am new to Linux. I have downloaded and installed "Mandriva Linux Gnone", and am having a few problems. The LAN set went flawlessly, but I can not look at my other disk drive. When I try to set ...

  1. new user

    Hello, I am new to Linux. I have downloaded and installed "Mandriva
    Linux Gnone", and am having a few problems. The LAN set went flawlessly,
    but I can not look at my other disk drive. When I try to set it up I get
    "could not install samba-server package" and or "could not install the
    nfs-utils package. Also can not install printers and get "could not
    install CUPS printing system". I hope this is the correct place to ask
    questions. Any and all comments taken in the spirit given. Thanks.

  2. Re: new user

    Don wrote:
    > Hello, I am new to Linux. I have downloaded and installed "Mandriva
    > Linux Gnone", and am having a few problems. The LAN set went flawlessly,
    > but I can not look at my other disk drive. When I try to set it up I get
    > "could not install samba-server package" and or "could not install the
    > nfs-utils package. Also can not install printers and get "could not
    > install CUPS printing system". I hope this is the correct place to ask
    > questions. Any and all comments taken in the spirit given. Thanks.

    Is that the total error message you are getting? How are you trying to
    install these packages? What is your other drive?

    Need more info. Spend some time expanding/refining the question and
    I'll bet the folks here can help you. This is the right place, now tell
    us more.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    Should I do my BOBBIE VINTON medley?

  3. Re: new user

    Don wrote:

    > Hello, I am new to Linux. I have downloaded and installed "Mandriva
    > Linux Gnone",

    What exactly did you download? It sounds like one of the single
    CD versions of Mandriva 2007.0.

    > and am having a few problems. The LAN set went flawlessly,
    > but I can not look at my other disk drive. When I try to set it up I get
    > "could not install samba-server package" and or "could not install the
    > nfs-utils package. Also can not install printers and get "could not
    > install CUPS printing system".

    They might not on your CD. That is not a major problem. See if
    you can work out how to configure urpmi (the software package
    manager) then when you try to install something that is not on
    your CD it should automatically find the right package(s) on the
    'net.

    Also Google for EasyUrpmi.

    > I hope this is the correct place to ask
    > questions.

    Pretty much.

    > Any and all comments taken in the spirit given. Thanks.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

+ Reply to Thread