    DVD versions and Mandriva One. Maybe I'm blind, but any help would be
    appreciated.

  2. Re: Mandriva Spring Question

    On 2007-05-05, chuck wrote:
    > I have an old computer I want to try the Spring version on before I
    > update my other ones. I've read of people having good luck just updating
    > vs. fresh installs. Well, this being an old computer means it doesn't
    > have a DVD drive, just a CDROM. Is there a CD download version or a
    > network install option? If so, where can it be found? All I can find are
    > DVD versions and Mandriva One. Maybe I'm blind, but any help would be
    > appreciated.

    I haven't tried Spring alias 2007.1 alias whatever, but all
    earlier versions I have tried have had a boot.iso file in
    the 'images' directory. Burning boot.iso to a CD and
    booting from that CD gives a bunch of options, including NFS
    and hard disk installation. I hear you don't even have to
    unpack the ISO/image to use those options.

    HTH

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  3. Re: Mandriva Spring Question

    On 2007-05-05, chuck wrote:
    > I have an old computer I want to try the Spring version on before I
    > update my other ones. I've read of people having good luck just updating
    > vs. fresh installs. Well, this being an old computer means it doesn't
    > have a DVD drive, just a CDROM. Is there a CD download version or a
    > network install option? If so, where can it be found? All I can find are
    > DVD versions and Mandriva One. Maybe I'm blind, but any help would be
    > appreciated.

    Mandriva 2007.1 (aka Mandriva 2007 Spring) requires a DVD drive, according
    to Mandriva. They don't seem to provide a version installable from CDs
    any longer .

    (I think that's a bad move; I hope they reconsider. There must be a great
    many PCs out there perfectly capable of running Mdv2007 apart from not
    having a DVD drive).

    I've never installed over a network, but I believe it is possible.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  4. Re: Mandriva Spring Question

    chuck wrote:

    > I have an old computer I want to try the Spring version on before I
    > update my other ones. I've read of people having good luck just updating
    > vs. fresh installs. Well, this being an old computer means it doesn't
    > have a DVD drive, just a CDROM. Is there a CD download version or a
    > network install option? If so, where can it be found? All I can find are
    > DVD versions and Mandriva One. Maybe I'm blind, but any help would be
    > appreciated.

    there will be a cd version. it just has not be relased yet.

    --
    Love is all u need.

  5. Re: Mandriva Spring Question

    ftp://arges.hrz.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/l...iso/2007.0/CD/

    "chuck" a écrit dans le message de news:
    iT__h.289$Kz1.91@trndny09...
    >I have an old computer I want to try the Spring version on before I
    > update my other ones. I've read of people having good luck just updating
    > vs. fresh installs. Well, this being an old computer means it doesn't
    > have a DVD drive, just a CDROM. Is there a CD download version or a
    > network install option? If so, where can it be found? All I can find are
    > DVD versions and Mandriva One. Maybe I'm blind, but any help would be
    > appreciated.

  6. Re: Mandriva Spring Question

    On Sat, 05 May 2007 15:11:52 -0400, trallala wrote:

    > ftp://arges.hrz.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/l...iso/2007.0/CD/

    The op is looking for 2007.1 on cd, not 2007.0. As others have posted,
    they haven't been made available yet.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: Mandriva Spring Question

    chuck wrote:
    > I have an old computer I want to try the Spring version on before I
    > update my other ones. I've read of people having good luck just updating
    > vs. fresh installs. Well, this being an old computer means it doesn't
    > have a DVD drive, just a CDROM. Is there a CD download version or a
    > network install option? If so, where can it be found? All I can find are
    > DVD versions and Mandriva One. Maybe I'm blind, but any help would be
    > appreciated.

    There was a simple network install from floppy up to 2007.0, which I
    have used many times over the years. Unfortunately this has gone.

    It is, I believe, possible to do a network install by setting up a tftp
    server and booting over ethernet. I've never done it.

    I think it is possible to install from the Mandriva One live CD. Again,
    I've not tried it.

    You could also do a basic 2007.0 install and then an upgrade to 2007.1
    over the network having defined http sources via urpmi. I think an
    upgrade is likely to work OK, though I haven't done that either!

    Sorry to be unhelpful. It's a shame, in my opinion, that the network
    install has gone. Maybe I was the last one using it.

    Mark

  8. Re: Mandriva Spring Question

    > (I think that's a bad move; I hope they reconsider. There must be a great
    > many PCs out there perfectly capable of running Mdv2007 apart from not
    > having a DVD drive).

    Well considering a dvd burner can be purchased for what $20-30... why
    not just buy one..

  9. Re: Mandriva Spring Question

    Mark Atherton wrote:

    > It's a shame, in my opinion, that the network
    > install has gone. Maybe I was the last one using it.
    >
    > Mark

    It's not gone, the floppy images are gone.
    boot.iso is what you would use, or network boot.

  10. Re: Mandriva Spring Question

    On 2007-05-05, Pla wrote:
    >> (I think that's a bad move; I hope they reconsider. There must be a great
    >> many PCs out there perfectly capable of running Mdv2007 apart from not
    >> having a DVD drive).

    > Well considering a dvd burner can be purchased for what $20-30... why
    > not just buy one..

    Because the computer is a Pentium MMX 233. It's not worth putting $20
    into. It's not fast enough to play movies. It's just my garage computer
    for looking at online automotive manuals (usually from console running
    w3m as a browser) during projects. The only reason I'm considering
    updating is to checkout the 'update' feature before I try it on better
    computers. I won't do any new 'installs' until 2008 comes out because
    once a year is plenty to do that.

  11. Re: Mandriva Spring Question

    On 2007-05-06, foo wrote:
    > Mark Atherton wrote:
    >>
    >> It's a shame, in my opinion, that the network
    >> install has gone. Maybe I was the last one using it.
    >>
    >> Mark

    > It's not gone, the floppy images are gone.
    > boot.iso is what you would use, or network boot.

    I found it. I don't know why they didn't put it in the same directory as
    the other isos. I had to read the installation wiki to find it.

  12. Re: Mandriva Spring Question

    chuck wrote:

    > On 2007-05-05, Pla wrote:
    >>> (I think that's a bad move; I hope they reconsider. There must be a
    >>> great many PCs out there perfectly capable of running Mdv2007 apart from
    >>> not having a DVD drive).

    >> Well considering a dvd burner can be purchased for what $20-30... why
    >> not just buy one..

    > Because the computer is a Pentium MMX 233. It's not worth putting $20
    > into. It's not fast enough to play movies. It's just my garage computer
    > for looking at online automotive manuals (usually from console running
    > w3m as a browser) during projects. The only reason I'm considering
    > updating is to checkout the 'update' feature before I try it on better
    > computers. I won't do any new 'installs' until 2008 comes out because
    > once a year is plenty to do that.

    I recently installed my first DVD burner, really like my Samsung SH-S182M
    from Newegg. I downloaded the torrent link,
    http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free which was the DVD iso. This can
    be burned as a single 4.3 GB DVD or as 4 CD's. To burn as a DVD just open
    K3B and choose burn DVD iso and point it at the download which is what I
    did. If you use Konqueror to look at the download it shows up as 4 CD's
    plus some additional info. Right clicking on one of these and selecting
    open with K3B brings up K3B with the single CD you selected. I tried this
    and got CD1 burnt successfully. So I got both the DVD and CD1 from the
    same image, assume the other CD's will also burn. Now have a rescue CD,
    which booted successfully, as well as the complete install DVD. First time
    I've seen this behavior since I haven't had a DVD burner before, appreciate
    feedback if it works for you.

  13. Re: Mandriva Spring Question

    Klaatu wrote:

    > I recently installed my first DVD burner, really like my Samsung SH-S182M
    > from Newegg. I downloaded the torrent link,
    > http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free which was the DVD iso. This can
    > be burned as a single 4.3 GB DVD or as 4 CD's. To burn as a DVD just open
    > K3B and choose burn DVD iso and point it at the download which is what I
    > did. If you use Konqueror to look at the download it shows up as 4 CD's
    > plus some additional info. Right clicking on one of these and selecting
    > open with K3B brings up K3B with the single CD you selected. I tried this
    > and got CD1 burnt successfully. So I got both the DVD and CD1 from the
    > same image, assume the other CD's will also burn. Now have a rescue CD,
    > which booted successfully, as well as the complete install DVD. First time
    > I've seen this behavior since I haven't had a DVD burner before, appreciate
    > feedback if it works for you.

    Now I wonder why Mandriva doesn't mention that option anywhere? And 4
    CDs wouldn't be holding any more than roughly 2.8GB. The DVD ISO is
    4.3GB. According to my calculations, that's 1.5GB of "other
    information." What "other information" is that, anyway? Source files? A
    manual? Inquiring minds want to know.

    TJ

  14. Re: Mandriva Spring Question

    chuck writes:

    >On 2007-05-05, Pla wrote:
    >>> (I think that's a bad move; I hope they reconsider. There must be a great
    >>> many PCs out there perfectly capable of running Mdv2007 apart from not
    >>> having a DVD drive).

    >> Well considering a dvd burner can be purchased for what $20-30... why
    >> not just buy one..

    >Because the computer is a Pentium MMX 233. It's not worth putting $20
    >into. It's not fast enough to play movies. It's just my garage computer

    So, why did you ask the question? Why did you waste our time? You want
    someone else to put in hours of their time and effort because you cannot be
    bothered to spend $20 on your system.

    >for looking at online automotive manuals (usually from console running
    >w3m as a browser) during projects. The only reason I'm considering
    >updating is to checkout the 'update' feature before I try it on better
    >computers. I won't do any new 'installs' until 2008 comes out because
    >once a year is plenty to do that.

  15. Re: Mandriva Spring Question

    TJ writes:

    >Klaatu wrote:

    >> I recently installed my first DVD burner, really like my Samsung SH-S182M
    >> from Newegg. I downloaded the torrent link,
    >> http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free which was the DVD iso. This can
    >> be burned as a single 4.3 GB DVD or as 4 CD's. To burn as a DVD just open
    >> K3B and choose burn DVD iso and point it at the download which is what I
    >> did. If you use Konqueror to look at the download it shows up as 4 CD's
    >> plus some additional info. Right clicking on one of these and selecting
    >> open with K3B brings up K3B with the single CD you selected. I tried this
    >> and got CD1 burnt successfully. So I got both the DVD and CD1 from the
    >> same image, assume the other CD's will also burn. Now have a rescue CD,
    >> which booted successfully, as well as the complete install DVD. First time
    >> I've seen this behavior since I haven't had a DVD burner before, appreciate
    >> feedback if it works for you.

    >Now I wonder why Mandriva doesn't mention that option anywhere? And 4
    >CDs wouldn't be holding any more than roughly 2.8GB. The DVD ISO is
    >4.3GB. According to my calculations, that's 1.5GB of "other
    >information." What "other information" is that, anyway? Source files? A
    >manual? Inquiring minds want to know.

    More programs.

    There is more than 12GB of main and contrib repository with 2007.1

  16. Re: Mandriva Spring Question

    On 2007-05-07, Unruh wrote:
    > chuck writes:

    >>> Well considering a dvd burner can be purchased for what $20-30... why
    >>> not just buy one..

    >>Because the computer is a Pentium MMX 233. It's not worth putting $20
    >>into. It's not fast enough to play movies. It's just my garage computer

    > So, why did you ask the question? Why did you waste our time? You want
    > someone else to put in hours of their time and effort because you cannot be
    > bothered to spend $20 on your system.

    As I said: I wanted to see for myself if the "upgrade" works *before* I
    try to install to my other computers that do have DVDs. I didn't ask for
    time and effort, just an answer. I don't even know if a DVD will work on
    the P233 nor do I care. A P233 is not worth putting $20 into. Please
    don't bother wasting anymore of your precious time replying because I
    won't see it. *plonk*
    >>for looking at online automotive manuals (usually from console running
    >>w3m as a browser) during projects. The only reason I'm considering
    >>updating is to checkout the 'update' feature before I try it on better
    >>computers. I won't do any new 'installs' until 2008 comes out because
    >>once a year is plenty to do that.

  17. Re: Mandriva Spring Question

    >>> Well considering a dvd burner can be purchased for what $20-30... why
    >>> not just buy one..

    >> Because the computer is a Pentium MMX 233. It's not worth putting $20
    >> into. It's not fast enough to play movies. It's just my garage computer

    > So, why did you ask the question? Why did you waste our time? You want
    > someone else to put in hours of their time and effort because you cannot be
    > bothered to spend $20 on your system.

    =========================
    Nobody needs to waste any time .
    If you don't like the OP's question/comment ,just ignore it....and carry
    on with the other messages on this NG ,unless you also find them to be
    time-wasters.

    Frank north of Scotland

  18. Re: Mandriva Spring Question

    TJ wrote:

    > A DVD
    > burner is low on the priority list, something I might get IF I have
    > something left after the necessities are paid for.

    But how will you be able to burn all your stolen movies and porn?
    You _need_ this gear don't you know.

  19. Re: Mandriva Spring Question

    Klaatu wrote:

    > chuck wrote:

    >>> Well considering a dvd burner can be purchased for what $20-30... why
    >>> not just buy one..

    >> Because the computer is a Pentium MMX 233. It's not worth putting $20
    >> into. It's not fast enough to play movies. It's just my garage computer
    >> for looking at online automotive manuals (usually from console running
    >> w3m as a browser) during projects. The only reason I'm considering
    >> updating is to checkout the 'update' feature before I try it on better
    >> computers. I won't do any new 'installs' until 2008 comes out because
    >> once a year is plenty to do that.

    > I recently installed my first DVD burner, really like my Samsung SH-S182M
    > from Newegg. I downloaded the torrent link,
    > http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free which was the DVD iso. This can
    > be burned as a single 4.3 GB DVD or as 4 CD's. To burn as a DVD just open
    > K3B and choose burn DVD iso and point it at the download which is what I
    > did. If you use Konqueror to look at the download it shows up as 4 CD's
    > plus some additional info. Right clicking on one of these and selecting
    > open with K3B brings up K3B with the single CD you selected. I tried this
    > and got CD1 burnt successfully. So I got both the DVD and CD1 from the
    > same image, assume the other CD's will also burn. Now have a rescue CD,
    > which booted successfully, as well as the complete install DVD. First
    > time I've seen this behavior since I haven't had a DVD burner before,
    > appreciate feedback if it works for you.

    Strike the above. Finally found the problem. Basically was looking in the
    wrong directory, about par for the course lately, one step forward and two
    steps back. Arrrgh!

+ Reply to Thread