4GB RAM, but only 900 MB detected (Mandriva 2007 Spring): how to specify correct amount? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 4GB RAM, but only 900 MB detected (Mandriva 2007 Spring): how to specify correct amount? - Mandriva ; Hi, I have 4 GB RAM installed, but only about 900 MB is detected. How can I change that? I saw an option during the install, but I didn't use that ... :-( BTW: I remember >1 GB was a ...

  1. 4GB RAM, but only 900 MB detected (Mandriva 2007 Spring): how to specify correct amount?

    Hi,

    I have 4 GB RAM installed, but only about 900 MB is detected. How can I
    change that? I saw an option during the install, but I didn't use
    that ... :-(

    BTW: I remember >1 GB was a special thing a few years ago, but I would have
    thought things were solved by now.

    Technical details: MandrivaLinux 2007 Spring One, Asus M2A-VM HDMI, Athlon64
    X2 3600+, 4GB.

    de Kameel

  2. Re: 4GB RAM, but only 900 MB detected (Mandriva 2007 Spring): howto specify correct amount?

    On Sat, 05 May 2007 08:12:43 +0200, De Kameel wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have 4 GB RAM installed, but only about 900 MB is detected. How can I
    > change that? I saw an option during the install, but I didn't use
    > that ... :-(
    >
    > BTW: I remember >1 GB was a special thing a few years ago, but I would have
    > thought things were solved by now.
    >
    > Technical details: MandrivaLinux 2007 Spring One, Asus M2A-VM HDMI, Athlon64
    > X2 3600+, 4GB.
    >
    > de Kameel

    You need to specify a different kernel. Go into the graphical URPMI
    interface and search for "kernel". You'll get bunch of different choices.
    The ones that have "server" in the title should work. IIRC there are a few
    that say 1+ GB of memory as well. The TMB series of kernels are community
    built but usually work as well.

    I agree that this should have been fixed. A gig of RAM is nothing these
    days and the installer should detect it.

    --Matt B

  3. Re: 4GB RAM, but only 900 MB detected (Mandriva 2007 Spring): how to specify correct amount?

    Matt B wrote:

    > On Sat, 05 May 2007 08:12:43 +0200, De Kameel wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have 4 GB RAM installed, but only about 900 MB is detected. How can I
    >> change that? I saw an option during the install, but I didn't use
    >> that ... :-(
    >>
    >> BTW: I remember >1 GB was a special thing a few years ago, but I would
    >> have thought things were solved by now.
    >>
    >> Technical details: MandrivaLinux 2007 Spring One, Asus M2A-VM HDMI,
    >> Athlon64 X2 3600+, 4GB.
    >>
    >> de Kameel

    > You need to specify a different kernel. Go into the graphical URPMI
    > interface and search for "kernel". You'll get bunch of different choices.
    > The ones that have "server" in the title should work. IIRC there are a few
    > that say 1+ GB of memory as well. The TMB series of kernels are community
    > built but usually work as well.
    >
    > I agree that this should have been fixed. A gig of RAM is nothing these
    > days and the installer should detect it.

    Thanks, I'll try that.

    de Kameel

+ Reply to Thread