Overall impressions of 2007.1 Spring - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Overall impressions of 2007.1 Spring - Mandriva ; Bootup & shutdown nice and fast. drakroam should have been better tested selecting against multiple networks. It still has a lot of weirdness. wireless.d scripts also have a strange mix of wpa_supplicant, xsupplicant. I think seamless wireless network selection is ...

  1. Overall impressions of 2007.1 Spring

    Bootup & shutdown nice and fast.

    drakroam should have been better tested selecting against multiple
    networks. It still has a lot of weirdness. wireless.d scripts also have
    a strange mix of wpa_supplicant, xsupplicant. I think seamless wireless
    network selection is far more important than 3d desktop, and drakroam
    still has some bugs from 2007.

    The buggette in www-browser was an intermediate scripting error which
    should not have got past 'unit-testing' IMO [ One
    would like to think mega-guru hackers with strong 'kung-fu' are working
    on all parts of a distro all the time, but the reality is many are just
    common or garden hackers like the rest of us ]

    IDE performance seems so-so. Burning DVDs sees device buffer cycling
    more often than with my 2007. Not sure why (DMA/32 bit etc on all devices,
    all IDE devices on their own cable etc).
    When I was running Knoppix from CD it seemed like burning a DVD was a
    lot smoother.

    I do remember with 2006 I got a big performance leap by just recompiling
    stock kernel for Athlon XP. Not sure what config setting made the real
    difference but I was trying to replicate the same effect again and
    installed installed a stock kernel 2.6.21. For some reason my 2.6.17.mdv
    stopped booting cleanly (my fault for messing with /usr/src/linux
    symlink too soon). Stock kernels have some build issues that need
    tweaking before nvidia etc will compile... I'll report back.
    ( These modules that recompile themselves with each kernel change are
    quite cool, but there something keeps deleting version.h ?!!?)

    Good point, stock kernel - make install - updates all grub menus (I was
    worried about that being a first time grubber, and that most standard
    kernel docs refer to lilo)

    Appreciating slrn/vim at run level 3 at the moment

    Lordy

  2. Re: Overall impressions of 2007.1 Spring

    lordy wrote:

    > Bootup & shutdown nice and fast.
    >
    > drakroam should have been better tested selecting against multiple
    > networks. It still has a lot of weirdness. wireless.d scripts also
    > have a strange mix of wpa_supplicant, xsupplicant. I think seamless
    > wireless network selection is far more important than 3d desktop,
    > and drakroam still has some bugs from 2007.
    >
    > The buggette in www-browser was an intermediate scripting error
    > which should not have got past 'unit-testing' IMO [ One
    > would like to think mega-guru hackers with strong 'kung-fu' are
    > working on all parts of a distro all the time, but the reality is
    > many are just common or garden hackers like the rest of us ]
    >
    > IDE performance seems so-so. Burning DVDs sees device buffer cycling
    > more often than with my 2007. Not sure why (DMA/32 bit etc on all
    > devices, all IDE devices on their own cable etc).
    > When I was running Knoppix from CD it seemed like burning a DVD was
    > a lot smoother.
    >
    > I do remember with 2006 I got a big performance leap by just
    > recompiling stock kernel for Athlon XP. Not sure what config setting
    > made the real
    > difference but I was trying to replicate the same effect again and
    > installed installed a stock kernel 2.6.21. For some reason my
    > 2.6.17.mdv stopped booting cleanly (my fault for messing with
    > /usr/src/linux symlink too soon). Stock kernels have some build
    > issues that need tweaking before nvidia etc will compile... I'll
    > report back. ( These modules that recompile themselves with each
    > kernel change are quite cool, but there something keeps deleting
    > version.h ?!!?)
    >
    > Good point, stock kernel - make install - updates all grub menus (I
    > was worried about that being a first time grubber, and that most
    > standard kernel docs refer to lilo)
    >
    > Appreciating slrn/vim at run level 3 at the moment
    >
    > Lordy

    Just started using it as of yesterday and I'm liking it. It seems
    Mplayer runs well without having to d/l it and it's codecs, and the
    Update Icon actually works! So far so good but I'm only into this 2
    days. Not running the 3D desktop, old graphics card and not really
    interested in bells and whistles.

    Rich

  3. Re: Overall impressions of 2007.1 Spring

    On 2007-05-03, Highland Ham wrote:
    > donald tees wrote:
    >> lordy wrote:
    >>
    >> One thing I did with 2007 spring, that I have avoided in the past, was
    >> that I did an upgrade, instead of a fresh install.
    >>
    >> The conventional wisdom in here seems to be "always do a fresh install,
    >> but keep your home partition". I find that most annoying. Setting up a
    >> system takes too much time and effort to scrap it and start over every
    >> six months.

    I know what you mean, but I see it as my house keeping exercise
    As Desktop matures, it seems there is less work to do each time,
    just 'urpmi this or that' on demand.
    Although I did once get burned moving over to official packages of stuff I had
    previously build in /usr/local (which I keep between installs)

    I do remember once (back around 10.1/2005 days) I did an upgrade and
    everything was happy. Then I had some kind of hardware issue and had to
    re-install and when complete, my reaction was 'ah - so that's what it looks like!'

    >> So this time, I bit the bullet and tried an upgrade. It went as
    >> smoothly as silk. I am a happy man.

    Did you get the big start button? Sometimes I do wonder about some of
    their choices!

    Lordy

  4. Re: Overall impressions of 2007.1 Spring

    donald tees wrote:

    > Highland Ham wrote:
    >> donald tees wrote:
    >>> lordy wrote:
    >>>

    >>> One thing I did with 2007 spring, that I have avoided in the past,
    >>> was that I did an upgrade, instead of a fresh install.
    >>>
    >>> The conventional wisdom in here seems to be "always do a fresh
    >>> install, but keep your home partition". I find that most annoying.
    >>> Setting up a system takes too much time and effort to scrap it and
    >>> start over every six months.
    >>>
    >>> So this time, I bit the bullet and tried an upgrade. It went as
    >>> smoothly as silk. I am a happy man.

    >> ================
    >> Donald ,Tnx for the advice to upgrade ..........I am waiting for
    >> the relevant DVD with one of the future Linux Format issues.
    >> I am not sufficiently adventurous as yet to download MDV2007.1
    >>
    >> Sofar I am happy with MDV2007.0
    >>

    > The only thing I had to do was set up my software source (which
    > makes sense to me) and re-submit my crontab list.
    >
    > I was surprised at the time it took. Close to an hour and ten
    > minutes
    > for the full upgrade. Seems to me that the install of 2007 took
    > only
    > 1/2 an hour or so. Not that I am complaining. Drinking coffee for
    > an hour while something happens automatically suits me a lot better
    > than
    > 1/2 hour install and an afternoon getting set up again. I did four
    > machines in an evening, and it would not have taken as long as that
    > but I finished one machine and tested before starting the others.
    >
    > Donald

    Wish I would have know about the upgrade thing before I did the fresh
    install. You're right about going through upgrading everything else
    on the new install, but I did want to get rid of some bloat too.

    Rich

  5. Re: Overall impressions of 2007.1 Spring

    lordy wrote:
    > On 2007-05-03, Highland Ham wrote:
    >> donald tees wrote:
    >>> lordy wrote:
    >>>
    >>> One thing I did with 2007 spring, that I have avoided in the past, was
    >>> that I did an upgrade, instead of a fresh install.
    >>>
    >>> The conventional wisdom in here seems to be "always do a fresh install,
    >>> but keep your home partition". I find that most annoying. Setting up a
    >>> system takes too much time and effort to scrap it and start over every
    >>> six months.

    > I know what you mean, but I see it as my house keeping exercise
    > As Desktop matures, it seems there is less work to do each time,
    > just 'urpmi this or that' on demand.
    > Although I did once get burned moving over to official packages of stuff I had
    > previously build in /usr/local (which I keep between installs)
    >
    > I do remember once (back around 10.1/2005 days) I did an upgrade and
    > everything was happy. Then I had some kind of hardware issue and had to
    > re-install and when complete, my reaction was 'ah - so that's what it looks like!'
    >
    >>> So this time, I bit the bullet and tried an upgrade. It went as
    >>> smoothly as silk. I am a happy man.

    > Did you get the big start button? Sometimes I do wonder about some of
    > their choices!

    Nope, never saw that at all. Of course, here in Canada, we get use to
    the French sense of "style".

    ;<) (GDAR)
    Donald

  6. Re: Overall impressions of 2007.1 Spring

    evodawg wrote:
    > donald tees wrote:
    >
    >> Highland Ham wrote:

    >>> ================
    >>> Donald ,Tnx for the advice to upgrade ..........I am waiting for
    >>> the relevant DVD with one of the future Linux Format issues.
    >>> I am not sufficiently adventurous as yet to download MDV2007.1
    >>>
    >>> Sofar I am happy with MDV2007.0
    >>>

    >> The only thing I had to do was set up my software source (which
    >> makes sense to me) and re-submit my crontab list.
    >>
    >> I was surprised at the time it took. Close to an hour and ten
    >> minutes
    >> for the full upgrade. Seems to me that the install of 2007 took
    >> only
    >> 1/2 an hour or so. Not that I am complaining. Drinking coffee for
    >> an hour while something happens automatically suits me a lot better
    >> than
    >> 1/2 hour install and an afternoon getting set up again. I did four
    >> machines in an evening, and it would not have taken as long as that
    >> but I finished one machine and tested before starting the others.
    >>
    >> Donald

    > Wish I would have know about the upgrade thing before I did the fresh
    > install. You're right about going through upgrading everything else
    > on the new install, but I did want to get rid of some bloat too.
    >
    > Rich

    There is that. A fresh install gets rid of everything you tried and
    decided not to use. An upgrade leaves all the crap there. Still, you
    should not have to start over every six months. I figure I'll do a fresh
    install every couple years if the upgrade path keeps working.

    I've been using Mandriva/Mandrake since version 9.2. Doing it over
    every time since has taught me lots (nothing like repetition to get the
    hang of something), but I really just want to use the computer, not make
    a career of configuring it.

    damn, I *have* made a career of it, now it's time to
    retire and have fun.

    Donald

    Donald

  7. upgrades and 2007.1 - Spring

    "donald tees" wrote in message
    news:Pe6dnUaIpe8GjafbnZ2dnUVZ_qiqnZ2d@golden.net.. .
    > evodawg wrote:
    >> donald tees wrote:

    >>> The only thing I had to do was set up my software source (which
    >>> makes sense to me) and re-submit my crontab list.
    >>>
    >>> I was surprised at the time it took. Close to an hour and ten
    >>> minutes
    >>> for the full upgrade. Seems to me that the install of 2007 took
    >>> only
    >>> 1/2 an hour or so. Not that I am complaining. Drinking coffee for
    >>> an hour while something happens automatically suits me a lot better
    >>> than
    >>> 1/2 hour install and an afternoon getting set up again. I did four
    >>> machines in an evening, and it would not have taken as long as that
    >>> but I finished one machine and tested before starting the others.
    >>>
    >>> Donald

    >> Wish I would have know about the upgrade thing before I did the fresh
    >> install. You're right about going through upgrading everything else
    >> on the new install, but I did want to get rid of some bloat too.
    >>
    >> Rich

    > There is that. A fresh install gets rid of everything you tried and
    > decided not to use. An upgrade leaves all the crap there. Still, you
    > should not have to start over every six months. I figure I'll do a fresh
    > install every couple years if the upgrade path keeps working.
    >
    > I've been using Mandriva/Mandrake since version 9.2. Doing it over every
    > time since has taught me lots (nothing like repetition to get the hang of
    > something), but I really just want to use the computer, not make a career
    > of configuring it.
    >
    > damn, I *have* made a career of it, now it's time to
    > retire and have fun.
    >
    > Donald

    I've been using Mandrake/Mandriva since 7.0 and I've run upgrades on one
    machine through all minor versions and installs only every major version
    such as 8.0, 9.0 etc. Another machine has only had upgrades since 9.1 and
    is currently on 2005LE. My main machine I've only ever done fresh installs
    and once allowed back in my attic room it will be having 2007.1 installed
    from it's current 2007.

    Upgrades take a hell of a lot longer than fresh installs and depending what
    the machine is used for they can be as stable as a rock or they be waiting
    to fall over like a mud hut in a tornado.

    Being stuck on a Windows laptop for the moment I'm looking forward to
    getting back to my desktops and server. The one item I'm hoping 2007.1
    fixes is the driver for some RaLink wireless cards I have no end of trouble
    getting the open source driver to compile, install and stay installed and
    configured usually they start up with the radio turned off. The kernel in
    2007.1 is supposed to have support built in. If it isn't an improvement
    then the affected machines can stay on an old 10/100 switch and I'll run a
    cable all the way through our new house

  8. Re: Overall impressions of 2007.1 Spring

    donald tees wrote:

    > There is that. A fresh install gets rid of everything you tried and
    > decided not to use. An upgrade leaves all the crap there. Still, you
    > should not have to start over every six months. I figure I'll do a fresh
    > install every couple years if the upgrade path keeps working.
    >
    > I've been using Mandriva/Mandrake since version 9.2. Doing it over
    > every time since has taught me lots (nothing like repetition to get the
    > hang of something), but I really just want to use the computer, not make
    > a career of configuring it.
    >
    > damn, I *have* made a career of it, now it's time to
    > retire and have fun.
    >
    > Donald

    Been using it since 8.2 and it is getting easier, and I've had my "ops
    moments, where I didn't save important stuff and it was zapped. But like
    you I have learned what to save. Actually this time it took about 2 hours.
    When I do need something I'll just urpmi it or fetch it from the site.

    Rich
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  9. Re: Overall impressions of 2007.1 Spring

    I think 2007.1 is a definite step up from 2007.

    The good:

    Boots extremely fast.

    KDE starts fast.

    URPMI takes much less time to download the updates and works better in
    general.

    The URPMI update notification icon works well. The 3D effects seem much
    more polished.

    The Mandriva Control Center is the best out of all the distros that I've
    tried.

    The bad:

    The Updater Applet notices a locked RPM DB, but doesn't seem notice when
    it's free.

    Open Office 2.1 isn't cutting edge.

    Wouldn't install to a USB harddrive like Ubuntu would.

    Mandriva button is too large when using “medium” taskbar setting.

    9 Kicker windows in the task bar by default. This takes up way to much
    screen space.

    Thumbnailed pictures don't expand in size when moused over in KDE. This was
    the default in 2007.

    When running from the update applet, it tells you what needs to be
    updated(which looks nice). Then you have to reconfirm that you want to
    update it. This seems like an extra step.

    I think adding RPM repositories should be part of the installation
    process. Having to go into URPMI and choose Update and/or other
    repositories is clumsy.

    My basic Intel video hardware was setup as 65K colors instead of 16
    million.

    The installed kernel doesn't recognize over a gig of RAM. This doesn't cut
    it these days, when even new low end systems have this much.

    -- Matt B

+ Reply to Thread