not booting after install - Mandriva

This is a discussion on not booting after install - Mandriva ; just for a heads up I am still new to linux, but a very fast learner. i saw screen shots and read up on mandriva and thought i would give it a shot. when i went to install it from ...

  1. not booting after install

    just for a heads up I am still new to linux, but a very fast learner.

    i saw screen shots and read up on mandriva and thought i would give it
    a shot.

    when i went to install it from the dvd it kept randomly rebooting. so
    i botted with acpi=off. this fixed the rebooting but the system still
    froze while installing.

    so i ran the install woithout all the packages that i wanted so it
    would at least install the files before rebooting. then when it did
    lock up (at the prepare to install bootloader screen) i rebooted and
    chose upgrade instead of install when prompted. this took me almost
    straight to the boot loader. but, then again it froze while trying to
    install the bootloader. so i went into the bios and changed the hdd
    order to make the linux disk first. this time it went throught the
    rest of the install without a problem.

    ejected the cd

    rebooted and loaded grub

    i chose boot into mandriva spring 2007.

    it loaded the kernal

    and came all the way to the welcome to mandriva screen (still cmd line
    interface though)

    then rebooted on starting numlock.

    after rebooting it force checked the hdd. found a few errors fixed
    them then said it was automatically rebooting

    it now hangs here till i reboot it manually.

    it also wont boot into safe mode

    this is an amd athlon 64
    1.5 gig memmory

    is there more info you need provided?
    is there a reason for these random reboots in linux?
    any ideas for a solution?

    please help me.

    thanks in advance

    Adam

  2. Re: not booting after install

    Was this a downloaded/home burnt CD/DVD if so it is possible that there are
    disk errors.

    Did you check the MD5 checksum prior to burning?

    Did you burn as an iso?

    Did you check the integrity of the burnt CD/DVD

    Try a reburn at a slower burn speed as an iso after checking the downloaded
    MD5

    Stuart

    AJWtech@gmail.com wrote:

    > just for a heads up I am still new to linux, but a very fast learner.
    >
    > i saw screen shots and read up on mandriva and thought i would give it
    > a shot.
    >
    > when i went to install it from the dvd it kept randomly rebooting. so
    > i botted with acpi=off. this fixed the rebooting but the system still
    > froze while installing.
    >
    > so i ran the install woithout all the packages that i wanted so it
    > would at least install the files before rebooting. then when it did
    > lock up (at the prepare to install bootloader screen) i rebooted and
    > chose upgrade instead of install when prompted. this took me almost
    > straight to the boot loader. but, then again it froze while trying to
    > install the bootloader. so i went into the bios and changed the hdd
    > order to make the linux disk first. this time it went throught the
    > rest of the install without a problem.
    >
    > ejected the cd
    >
    > rebooted and loaded grub
    >
    > i chose boot into mandriva spring 2007.
    >
    > it loaded the kernal
    >
    > and came all the way to the welcome to mandriva screen (still cmd line
    > interface though)
    >
    > then rebooted on starting numlock.
    >
    > after rebooting it force checked the hdd. found a few errors fixed
    > them then said it was automatically rebooting
    >
    > it now hangs here till i reboot it manually.
    >
    > it also wont boot into safe mode
    >
    > this is an amd athlon 64
    > 1.5 gig memmory
    >

    > is there more info you need provided?
    > is there a reason for these random reboots in linux?
    > any ideas for a solution?
    >

    > please help me.
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > Adam

  3. Re: not booting after install

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 23:57:13 -0400, wrote:

    First welcome to Mandriva linux.

    > when i went to install it from the dvd it kept randomly rebooting. so
    > i botted with acpi=off. this fixed the rebooting but the system still
    > froze while installing.

    I expect you'll find this is a hardware problem. First, after a reboot,
    go into the bios setup program, see if it has a health status, and check
    the cpu temperature, voltage ranges, etc.
    Then I'd run memtest, overnight. If those all check out ok run badblocks
    to ensure there are no problems with the hd.

    It may be a bad burn of the dvd, possibly corrupted during download.
    Ensure the md5, or sha1 sums check out.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: not booting after install

    On May 2, 2:16 pm, "dnoyeB" wrote:
    > it sounds like hardware to me too. Are you doing a 64bit install? Does
    > the hardware run any other OS successfully?

    thanks for all the replies. yes it is a home burnt dvd from an iso.
    yes it runs xp, xp mce, vista, and open suse. no i have not checked
    the md5 or sha checksum because i dont know how i will go google that
    answer now and report back what i have found.

  5. Re: not booting after install

    On 2 May 2007 20:17:48 -0700, AJWtech@gmail.com wrote:

    > thanks for all the replies. yes it is a home burnt dvd from an iso.
    > yes it runs xp, xp mce, vista, and open suse. no i have not checked
    > the md5 or sha checksum because i dont know how i will go google that
    > answer now and report back what i have found.

    on suse md5sum -c md5sum_file_name_here

  6. Re: not booting after install

    On May 2, 11:48 pm, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On 2 May 2007 20:17:48 -0700, AJWt...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > thanks for all the replies. yes it is a home burnt dvd from an iso.
    > > yes it runs xp, xp mce, vista, and open suse. no i have not checked
    > > the md5 or sha checksum because i dont know how i will go google that
    > > answer now and report back what i have found.

    > on suse md5sum -c md5sum_file_name_here

    md5 and sha checked out fine

  7. Re: not booting after install

    AJWtech@gmail.com wrote:

    > On May 2, 11:48 pm, Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On 2 May 2007 20:17:48 -0700, AJWt...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >> > thanks for all the replies. yes it is a home burnt dvd from an iso.
    >> > yes it runs xp, xp mce, vista, and open suse. no i have not checked
    >> > the md5 or sha checksum because i dont know how i will go google that
    >> > answer now and report back what i have found.

    >> on suse md5sum -c md5sum_file_name_here

    > md5 and sha checked out fine

    Confirming the checksum(s) of the downloaded iso is a highly
    recommended first step - but it does not guarantee that the
    disc you burned is OK. The easiest way to verify that the disc
    is burned correctly is to use good CD/DVD burning software and
    check the "verify" option when you burn it. There are other
    methods. Also, make sure that the disc is clean.

    If you can afford the hard disk space don't even bother burning
    a DVD (except for backup). Install from the hard disk. It is
    faster than installing from optical media and you don't have to
    go looking for the right disc whenever you want to install extra
    packages. There are instructions with (and in) the iso. Mount it
    as a loop device and have a look...

    su root
    cd
    mkdir temp
    mount /dev/dvd temp -o loop
    exit

    Then you can browse around the inside of the iso.

    BTW: Make sure that the iso is on a partition that will not be
    "cleaned" during installation.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  8. Re: not booting after install

    On May 4, 8:02 am, "Peter D." wrote:
    > AJWt...@gmail.com wrote:

    > >> on suse md5sum -c md5sum_file_name_here

    > > md5 and sha checked out fine

    > Confirming the checksum(s) of the downloaded iso is a highly
    > recommended first step - but it does not guarantee that the
    > disc you burned is OK. The easiest way to verify that the disc
    > is burned correctly is to use good CD/DVD burning software and
    > check the "verify" option when you burn it. There are other
    > methods. Also, make sure that the disc is clean.
    >
    > If you can afford the hard disk space don't even bother burning
    > a DVD (except for backup). Install from the hard disk. It is
    > faster than installing from optical media and you don't have to
    > go looking for the right disc whenever you want to install extra
    > packages. There are instructions with (and in) the iso. Mount it
    > as a loop device and have a look...
    >
    > su root
    > cd
    > mkdir temp
    > mount /dev/dvd temp -o loop
    > exit
    >
    > Then you can browse around the inside of the iso.
    >
    > BTW: Make sure that the iso is on a partition that will not be
    > "cleaned" during installation.
    >
    > --
    > sig goes here...
    > Peter D.

    i did the checked the checksum those check out fine. i did end up
    having to install from the hdd instead. i got it to install but when i
    boots it gets to the kernal loads linux and then while loading
    mandriva it suddenly reboots is there any way to log what happened so
    i can find the hardware that caused this or if you dont think its
    hardware any other suggestions would be appreciated

  9. Re: not booting after install

    On Tue, 22 May 2007 15:38:11 -0400, wrote:

    > i did the checked the checksum those check out fine. i did end up
    > having to install from the hdd instead. i got it to install but when i
    > boots it gets to the kernal loads linux and then while loading
    > mandriva it suddenly reboots is there any way to log what happened so
    > i can find the hardware that caused this or if you dont think its
    > hardware any other suggestions would be appreciated

    Reboots during the install are usually either corrupt install media,
    which you seem to have ruled out, bad, or incompatible hardware.

    Try running memtest (from the install disc) overnight. If that passes
    an overnight test, then check for badblocks on the hd.

    You might be able to get away with removing your ram cards, cleaning
    the connectors (with isopropyl alcohol, and a soft tooth brush), and
    reinserting them. That's worked for me, on several machines, in the
    past. Same with all ribbon connectors, for the hd, and if the ide
    controller is on a seperate card, clean it's connectors too. One other
    thing to do is check the cpu cooler, to make sure the vanes are not
    clogged with dust/cat fur, etc, and that the fans are working properly.

    If your bios supports it, go into the bios setup program, see if it has
    a "health" check, where it will show you the current cpu temperature,
    and the automatic shutdown temperature. If it's running too hot, try
    adding an extra fan. See
    http://www.ody.ca/~dwhodgins/hdcooler.jpg for an effective solution.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  10. Re: not booting after install

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > If your bios supports it, go into the bios setup program, see if it has
    > a "health" check, where it will show you the current cpu temperature,
    > and the automatic shutdown temperature. If it's running too hot, try
    > adding an extra fan. See
    > http://www.ody.ca/~dwhodgins/hdcooler.jpg for an effective solution.

    While there, run through all the BIOS settings, looking for
    anything that seems blatently out of kilter. My new 64-bit
    AMD machine's BIOS had the boot sequence wrong, no provision for
    a USB keyboard (ever try to install when the keyboard won't
    work?), and a few other things slightly out of kilter.

    The thing would boot straight to Winblows on the BIOS settings,
    and Winblows would take over and all would work. But Linux
    expected to be presented with an operable keyboard and mouse and
    to be given an opportunity to get it's foot in the door first.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  11. Re: not booting after install

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > While there, run through all the BIOS settings, looking for anything
    > that seems blatently out of kilter. My new 64-bit
    > AMD machine's BIOS had the boot sequence wrong, no provision for a USB
    > keyboard (ever try to install when the keyboard won't work?),

    I ran into this, and fixed it by enabling a "legacy keyboard" or some
    such setting in the bios.
    Art

+ Reply to Thread