Dual booting Mandriva 2007 with Vista: Software modem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Dual booting Mandriva 2007 with Vista: Software modem - Mandriva ; Contemplating installing Mandriva 2007 to dual boot with Vista (Bus.) on a Toshiba laptop, I'm just wondering if there is now a Linux solution to the 'software' modem problem, as this laptop has a s/w modem. With my desktop PC ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Dual booting Mandriva 2007 with Vista: Software modem

    Contemplating installing Mandriva 2007 to dual boot with Vista (Bus.) on a
    Toshiba laptop, I'm just wondering if there is now a Linux solution to the
    'software' modem problem, as this laptop has a s/w modem.

    With my desktop PC I've always used an external modem by preference, but
    do not fancy carting an external modem around with the laptop. On the
    other hand I do not fancy using Vista alone on it.

    [Non sequitor: MS now seem to acknowledge that other operating systems
    might be installed alongside Windows. In the Vista booklet that came with
    the laptop:
    "Partitions allow you to install more than one operating system on your
    computer."!]

    --
    Maurice Batey

  2. Re: Dual booting Mandriva 2007 with Vista: Software modem

    On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:02:38 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Contemplating installing Mandriva 2007 to dual boot with Vista (Bus.) on
    > a Toshiba laptop, I'm just wondering if there is now a Linux solution to
    > the 'software' modem problem, as this laptop has a s/w modem.
    >
    > With my desktop PC I've always used an external modem by preference, but
    > do not fancy carting an external modem around with the laptop. On the
    > other hand I do not fancy using Vista alone on it.
    >
    > [Non sequitor: MS now seem to acknowledge that other operating systems
    > might be installed alongside Windows. In the Vista booklet that came
    > with the laptop:
    > "Partitions allow you to install more than one operating system on
    > your
    > computer."!]

    You might want to start here:

    http://www.linux-laptop.net/

    http://tuxmobil.org/index.html

    http://www.linmodems.org/

    http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/

    http://start.at/modem/

    http://www.linuxant.com/company/index.php

  3. Re: Dual booting Mandriva 2007 with Vista: Software modem

    George Czerw writes:

    >On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:02:38 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:

    >> Contemplating installing Mandriva 2007 to dual boot with Vista (Bus.) on
    >> a Toshiba laptop, I'm just wondering if there is now a Linux solution to
    >> the 'software' modem problem, as this laptop has a s/w modem.

    There is no "software" modem problem, there are "software"modem problems.
    Ie, it depends entirely on what your soft modem is.

    www.linmodems.org

    >> With my desktop PC I've always used an external modem by preference, but
    >> do not fancy carting an external modem around with the laptop. On the
    >> other hand I do not fancy using Vista alone on it.
    >>
    >> [Non sequitor: MS now seem to acknowledge that other operating systems
    >> might be installed alongside Windows. In the Vista booklet that came
    >> with the laptop:
    >> "Partitions allow you to install more than one operating system on
    >> your
    >> computer."!]

    Nope. They mean DOS, Windows XP, Windows 2000 stuff like that.

  4. Re: Dual booting Mandriva 2007 with Vista: Software modem

    On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:02:38 +0100, I wrote:

    > Contemplating installing Mandriva 2007 to dual boot with Vista (Bus.) on a
    > Toshiba laptop,

    Looks as though I shall have to abandon that aim, as Mandriva 2007 will
    not boot on the Toshiba laptop (Satellite Pro A120-185).

    (Nor will Knoppix 5.1.0 - which I have been using for system backup -
    though the *ubuntu family does.)

    --
    Maurice Batey

  5. Re: Dual booting Mandriva 2007 with Vista: Software modem

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:56:45 +0100, I wrote:

    > Mandriva 2007.0 Free will
    > not boot on the Toshiba laptop (Satellite Pro A120-185).
    >
    > (Nor will Knoppix 5.1.0 - which I have been using for system backup -
    > though the *ubuntu family does.)

    The problem appears to be that this laptop has a SATA hard drive.

    Anyone know if there is a later version of Mandriva that boots on a PC
    that has a SATA drive?

    --
    Maurice Batey
    (Retired in Surrey, UK)

  6. 2007.0 Doesn't Boot on Toshiba Laptop (was Visa: Software modem)

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:56:45 +0100, I wrote:
    >
    >> Mandriva 2007.0 Free will
    >> not boot on the Toshiba laptop (Satellite Pro A120-185).
    >> (Nor will Knoppix 5.1.0 - which I have been using for system backup -
    >> though the *ubuntu family does.)

    > The problem appears to be that this laptop has a SATA hard drive.
    >
    > Anyone know if there is a later version of Mandriva that boots on a PC
    > that has a SATA drive?

    Maurice,

    Mandriva Spring 2007.1 installed and boots fine on my Microtel 64-bit
    AMD machine with SATA hard drives (once I changed the BIOS to support
    a USB keyboard and boot first from the DVD/CD drive rather than from
    the hard drive).

    There are several reasons an install can fail, or an installed OS fail
    to boot. The problem may be in BIOS settings, configuration settings,
    or elsewhere.

    Please tell us exactly what you have done, and what happened, and
    someone may be able to recognize your problem and tell you how to
    deal with it.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  7. Re: Dual booting Mandriva 2007 with Vista: Software modem

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:25:42 +0100
    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:56:45 +0100, I wrote:
    >
    > > Mandriva 2007.0 Free will
    > > not boot on the Toshiba laptop (Satellite Pro A120-185).
    > >
    > > (Nor will Knoppix 5.1.0 - which I have been using for system
    > > backup - though the *ubuntu family does.)

    > The problem appears to be that this laptop has a SATA hard drive.
    >
    > Anyone know if there is a later version of Mandriva that boots on a PC
    > that has a SATA drive?

    Both 2006 and 2007 did.

    --
    Neil
    Reverse ie and delete l for email.

  8. Re: Dual booting Mandriva 2007 with Vista: Software modem

    Neil Ellwood wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:25:42 +0100
    > Maurice Batey wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:56:45 +0100, I wrote:
    >>
    >> > Mandriva 2007.0 Free will
    >> > not boot on the Toshiba laptop (Satellite Pro A120-185).
    >> >
    >> > (Nor will Knoppix 5.1.0 - which I have been using for system
    >> > backup - though the *ubuntu family does.)

    >> The problem appears to be that this laptop has a SATA hard drive.
    >>
    >> Anyone know if there is a later version of Mandriva that boots on a PC
    >> that has a SATA drive?
    >>

    > Both 2006 and 2007 did.

    Does the disk not offer options at the bottom? If so, try
    noapic when booting. That helped me with earlier Mandriva
    versions.

    Alan

  9. Re: Dual booting Mandriva 2007 with Vista: Software modem

    on Saturday 23 June 2007 01:25
    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:56:45 +0100, I wrote:
    >
    >> Mandriva 2007.0 Free will
    >> not boot on the Toshiba laptop (Satellite Pro A120-185).

    [snip]
    > The problem appears to be that this laptop has a SATA hard drive.

    SATA has been supported for a long time, BUT some SATA controller
    chips are a problem.

    > Anyone know if there is a later version of Mandriva that boots on a PC
    > that has a SATA drive?

    2007.1 (a.k.a. "Spring") exists. Cooker is newer again, but if you
    have to ask what that is then it is not for you, it is for developers
    only.

    One of my motherboards has a SATA controller that is recognized by
    both 2007 and 2007.1. Another motherboard has a SATA controller
    that is not recognized by either.

    How far did you get?

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  10. Re: Dual booting Mandriva 2007 with Vista: Software modem

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:56:56 +1000, Peter D. wrote:

    > How far did you get?

    On booting from the Mandriva 2007.0 Free DVD, I saw the initial screen,
    then nothing else happened (except that the laptop's fan came on!).

    --
    Maurice Batey

  11. Re: Dual booting Mandriva 2007 with Vista: Software modem

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:56:56 +1000, Peter D. wrote:
    >
    >> How far did you get?

    > On booting from the Mandriva 2007.0 Free DVD, I saw the initial screen,
    > then nothing else happened (except that the laptop's fan came on!).

    Does this initial screen ask if you want to install Mandriva, go to rescue
    mode, etc?

    If you made it that far and no farther, and the keyboard and mouse do not
    work, you may need to change the settings in your bios to match your
    hardware.

    Is your keyboard and mouse USB or PS/2? What are the settings in your BIOS
    for keyboard and mouse?

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  12. Re: Dual booting Mandriva 2007 with Vista: Software modem

    on Sunday 24 June 2007 02:45
    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:56:56 +1000, Peter D. wrote:
    >
    >> How far did you get?

    > On booting from the Mandriva 2007.0 Free DVD, I saw the initial screen,
    > then nothing else happened (except that the laptop's fan came on!).

    That looks like either a hardware problem (bad DVD, all sorts of
    computer problems) or a serious incompatibility problem.

    If you can work out how to check the correctness of your DVD
    do it. Start by checking the md5sum of the downloaded iso.
    If it fails, the iso can be fixed with rsync or bittorrent
    rather than re-downloading the whole thing.
    If the iso checks out OK then it is desirable to check the
    burnt DVD - but that is a bit harder to do.

    Failing that, you will have to try a newer and/or different
    version. 2007.1 (Spring) exists but it is substantially a bug
    fixed version of 2007.0, they both use kernel 2.6.17.

    If you can find out the details of your computer and what is
    inside it google for Linux compatibility.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  13. Re: 2007.0 Doesn't Boot on Toshiba Laptop (was Visa: Software modem)

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:44:23 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Mandriva Spring 2007.1 installed and boots fine on my Microtel 64-bit AMD
    > machine with SATA hard drives

    Just tried M. Spring Free - same result: Says "Installing kernel",
    progress bar goes up to 100%, DVD drive light flickers for a few
    seconds, then no further action anywhere - except that the laptop's fan
    comes on full blast...

    (Ubuntu 7.04 and SimplyMepis 6.5 on same DVD boot up OK.)

    >(once I changed the BIOS to support a USB keyboard)

    Don't understand the significance of what you are saying here.
    (If your keyboard is USB then why wouldn't the BIOS already be set up
    for that?)

    My laptop's keyboard is presumably not USB.

    (Suspect previous response from me has gone astray...)

    --
    Maurice

  14. Re: 2007.0 Doesn't Boot on Toshiba Laptop (was Visa: Software modem)

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:44:23 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> Mandriva Spring 2007.1 installed and boots fine on my Microtel 64-bit AMD
    >> machine with SATA hard drives

    > Just tried M. Spring Free - same result: Says "Installing kernel",
    > progress bar goes up to 100%, DVD drive light flickers for a few
    > seconds, then no further action anywhere - except that the laptop's fan
    > comes on full blast...
    >
    > (Ubuntu 7.04 and SimplyMepis 6.5 on same DVD boot up OK.)
    >
    >> (once I changed the BIOS to support a USB keyboard)

    > Don't understand the significance of what you are saying here.
    > (If your keyboard is USB then why wouldn't the BIOS already be set up
    > for that?)

    My BIOS was set for PS/2 keyboard and mouse, despite being delivered
    with USB keyboard and mouse. It also had Winblows XP pre-installed,
    and that would boot from the hard drive automatically and load the
    USB drivers it needed. I had to go into the BIOS to stop it from
    automatically booting from the hard drive and change the setting to
    USB keyboard before I could select "Install Linux" and hit .

    > My laptop's keyboard is presumably not USB.

    Look at the connector that goes into your computer. If round, it
    is most likely a PS/2. If a rectangle, it is likely USB.

    > (Suspect previous response from me has gone astray...)

    My apologies for lack of timeliness in replies. I spend time
    at the computer when convenient, and do not always get back in
    timely fashion even when I have joined a thread.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  15. Re: 2007.0 Doesn't Boot on Toshiba Laptop (was Visa: Software modem)

    On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 00:30:33 GMT, Jim Beard
    wrote:

    >> My laptop's keyboard is presumably not USB.

    >Look at the connector that goes into your computer. If round, it
    >is most likely a PS/2. If a rectangle, it is likely USB.

    Jim, I don't think he is using an external keyboard and mouse on his
    laptop.

    Harv

  16. Re: 2007.0 Doesn't Boot on Toshiba Laptop (was Visa: Software modem)

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:45:00 -0400, Harvie Powis wrote:

    > I don't think he is using an external keyboard and mouse on his
    > laptop.

    Correct!

    (Actually, I do have an exterbal USB mouse, but didn't use it for
    these trial installations.)

    --
    Maurice

  17. Re: Dual booting Mandriva 2007 with Vista: Software modem

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 22:34:29 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    > try noapic when booting.

    Tried that - same problem.

    --
    Maurice

  18. Re: Dual booting Mandriva 2007 with Vista: Software modem

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:10:41 +1000, Peter D. wrote:

    > That looks like either a hardware problem (bad DVD, all sorts of computer
    > problems) or a serious incompatibility problem.

    But Ubuntu & SimplyMepis boot fine...

    > If you can work out how to check the correctness of your DVD do it. Start
    > by checking the md5sum of the downloaded iso. If it fails, the iso can be
    > fixed with rsync or bittorrent rather than re-downloading the whole thing.
    > If the iso checks out OK then it is desirable to check the burnt DVD - but
    > that is a bit harder to do.

    Same problem off 2 different DVDs.

    > Failing that, you will have to try a newer and/or different version.
    > 2007.1 (Spring) exists but it is substantially a bug fixed version of
    > 2007.0, they both use kernel 2.6.17.

    Tried Spring. Same problem with 2007.1.

    --
    Maurice

  19. Re: 2007.0 Doesn't Boot on Toshiba Laptop (was Visa: Software modem)

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:45:00 -0400, Harvie Powis wrote:
    >
    >> I don't think he is using an external keyboard and mouse on his
    >> laptop.

    > Correct!
    >
    > (Actually, I do have an exterbal USB mouse, but didn't use it for
    > these trial installations.)

    Call me blind and excuse my stupidity. I apologize.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  20. Re: 2007.0 Doesn't Boot on Toshiba Laptop (was Visa: Software modem)

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 00:38:53 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > I apologize.

    's OK! You were trying to help, and I do appreciate that.

    Actually, someone at mandriva.com has pointed me to a trial installer
    with a later version of the kernel. This does boot, but is not meant to
    do so in a LiveDVD manner, which is what I was aiming for initially
    (to check that Mandriva works on the laptop before installing to disk),
    so I am no further on - yet.

    I think this proves my contention that the reason Mandriva 2007 will not
    boot on this SATA laptop is that the kernel is down level.

    In the July Linux Format magazine I see that whereas Ubuntu (which does
    boot) has the 2.6.20.15 kernel, Mandriva (which does not boot) has only
    2.6.17.3.

    --
    Maurice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast