Mandriva 2007.1 Spring ed. boot Problem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva 2007.1 Spring ed. boot Problem - Mandriva ; I installed Mandriva 2007.1 Spring ed.PWP and I rebooted and grub was not there the Windows MBR was still there no sign of Mandriva, I tried in rescue mode to fix or install grub and it would not let me ...

  1. Mandriva 2007.1 Spring ed. boot Problem

    I installed Mandriva 2007.1 Spring ed.PWP and I rebooted and grub was
    not there the Windows MBR was still there no sign of Mandriva, I tried
    in rescue mode to fix or install grub and it would not let me in, to
    install it.
    I have Win Xp Pro and Vista Home Premium installed as a dual boot on a
    AMD 3200+ Athlon with 1.5 gig ram and Nvidia 6200 AGP video card on a
    Abit nf7-s motherboard, with 250gig of HD. I believe it has something to
    do with Vista.
    any ideas apart from uninstalling Vista?

  2. Re: Mandriva 2007.1 Spring ed. boot Problem

    Colin wrote:
    > I installed Mandriva 2007.1 Spring ed.PWP and I rebooted and grub was
    > not there the Windows MBR was still there no sign of Mandriva, I tried
    > in rescue mode to fix or install grub and it would not let me in, to
    > install it.
    > I have Win Xp Pro and Vista Home Premium installed as a dual boot on a
    > AMD 3200+ Athlon with 1.5 gig ram and Nvidia 6200 AGP video card on a
    > Abit nf7-s motherboard, with 250gig of HD. I believe it has something to
    > do with Vista.
    > any ideas apart from uninstalling Vista?

    If you install Mandriva after Vista, then I can't imagine how Vista
    would corrupt the MBR. Unless something has changed in 2007.1 from
    prior Mandriva releases, then one of the questions you answer somewhere
    along the installation is whether or not to write to the MBR. If you
    didn't answer yes to do that, then you'd end up in your situation.

    You should be able to boot from your installation DVD and select
    "rescue" mode which has the option to repair the MBR. That could get
    you going. I had to do that recently after restoring from a wiped hard
    drive using Mondo Rescue http://www.mondorescue.org/

    Good luck....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.