mandriva on acer aspire - Mandriva

This is a discussion on mandriva on acer aspire - Mandriva ; I am attempting to install mandriva 2006 on an acer aspire 5101 laptop, to dual boot with xp This machine comes with a small partition at the front of the hard drive which contains the windows restore files Mandriva recognizes ...

  1. mandriva on acer aspire

    I am attempting to install mandriva 2006 on an acer aspire 5101 laptop, to
    dual boot with xp

    This machine comes with a small partition at the front of the hard drive
    which contains the windows restore files
    Mandriva recognizes that as hda1. The remainder of the hard drive is two
    equal sized fat32 partitions, hda2 and hda3
    I resized the second partition and installed without any problems, usual
    swap and hda6.
    The problem now is with the boot loader.

    I need to keep the restore partition intact, as someobody else will get this
    machine when I am done with it, and they most likely will need some xp
    capability.

    I initially put lilo on hda6, but there is no way (that I can see) to access
    that during startup (oops) , so I can not start mandriva to fix the lilo
    problem. I can restart the install process, and get to configure bootloader,
    see below. I can not actually see how mandriva views the drive, but the
    knoppix live cd sees
    hda1 - recovery
    hda2 - usual xp 'c' drive
    hda3 - remaining fat32 'd' drive
    hda6 - mandriva install

    That leaves hda1, which may damage the recovey partition. The machine will
    boot from there is you press alt-f10 during power on.

    Only other spot offered is hda, which would be the mbr.

    Will that also damage the recovery partition?
    Or the ability to boot from it?
    Can I re-write the mbr to boot from second partition?

    It would be nice to put it on hda2, which is where windows actually boots
    from.
    Is that something to do with fdisk and making partition 'active' ?
    The recovery partition is invisible to windows.

    I have the recovery dvd's which I made using acer utlites, which are
    bootable
    I also have a retail XP cd-rom.

    I recall there is an option to fix lilo from the install dvd, but I can't
    find that message.

    Thanks

    Stuart

  2. Re: mandriva on acer aspire

    On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:07:18 +0000, Stuart Miller wrote:

    > I am attempting to install mandriva 2006 on an acer aspire 5101 laptop, to
    > dual boot with xp
    >
    > This machine comes with a small partition at the front of the hard drive
    > which contains the windows restore files
    > Mandriva recognizes that as hda1. The remainder of the hard drive is two
    > equal sized fat32 partitions, hda2 and hda3
    > I resized the second partition and installed without any problems, usual
    > swap and hda6.
    > The problem now is with the boot loader.
    >
    > I need to keep the restore partition intact, as someobody else will get this
    > machine when I am done with it, and they most likely will need some xp
    > capability.
    >
    > I initially put lilo on hda6, but there is no way (that I can see) to access
    > that during startup (oops) , so I can not start mandriva to fix the lilo
    > problem. I can restart the install process, and get to configure bootloader,
    > see below. I can not actually see how mandriva views the drive, but the
    > knoppix live cd sees
    > hda1 - recovery
    > hda2 - usual xp 'c' drive
    > hda3 - remaining fat32 'd' drive
    > hda6 - mandriva install
    >
    > That leaves hda1, which may damage the recovey partition. The machine will
    > boot from there is you press alt-f10 during power on.
    >
    > Only other spot offered is hda, which would be the mbr.
    >
    > Will that also damage the recovery partition?
    > Or the ability to boot from it?
    > Can I re-write the mbr to boot from second partition?

    I have installed Ubuntu on an Everex (cheapie from WalMart - the other
    evil empire) which has a recovery partition as well as xp. I allowed it to
    write to the mbr and evrything is bootable. You can boot Ubuntu or boot xp
    or boot the recovery partition. BTW - booting the recovery, of course,
    wipes the MBR and reinstalls MS's MBR. AFAIK the other alternative is to
    use MS's boot.ini to boot everything.

    > It would be nice to put it on hda2, which is where windows actually boots
    > from.
    > Is that something to do with fdisk and making partition 'active' ?
    > The recovery partition is invisible to windows.
    >
    > I have the recovery dvd's which I made using acer utlites, which are
    > bootable
    > I also have a retail XP cd-rom.
    >
    > I recall there is an option to fix lilo from the install dvd, but I can't
    > find that message.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Stuart

  3. Re: mandriva on acer aspire

    On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:28:40 -0600, ray wrote:

    > On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:07:18 +0000, Stuart Miller wrote:
    >
    >> I am attempting to install mandriva 2006 on an acer aspire 5101 laptop, to
    >> dual boot with xp
    >>
    >> This machine comes with a small partition at the front of the hard drive
    >> which contains the windows restore files
    >> Mandriva recognizes that as hda1. The remainder of the hard drive is two
    >> equal sized fat32 partitions, hda2 and hda3
    >> I resized the second partition and installed without any problems, usual
    >> swap and hda6.
    >> The problem now is with the boot loader.
    >>
    >> I need to keep the restore partition intact, as someobody else will get this
    >> machine when I am done with it, and they most likely will need some xp
    >> capability.
    >>
    >> I initially put lilo on hda6, but there is no way (that I can see) to access
    >> that during startup (oops) , so I can not start mandriva to fix the lilo
    >> problem. I can restart the install process, and get to configure bootloader,
    >> see below. I can not actually see how mandriva views the drive, but the
    >> knoppix live cd sees
    >> hda1 - recovery
    >> hda2 - usual xp 'c' drive
    >> hda3 - remaining fat32 'd' drive
    >> hda6 - mandriva install
    >>
    >> That leaves hda1, which may damage the recovey partition. The machine will
    >> boot from there is you press alt-f10 during power on.
    >>
    >> Only other spot offered is hda, which would be the mbr.
    >>
    >> Will that also damage the recovery partition?
    >> Or the ability to boot from it?
    >> Can I re-write the mbr to boot from second partition?

    > I have installed Ubuntu on an Everex (cheapie from WalMart - the other
    > evil empire) which has a recovery partition as well as xp. I allowed it to
    > write to the mbr and evrything is bootable. You can boot Ubuntu or boot xp
    > or boot the recovery partition. BTW - booting the recovery, of course,
    > wipes the MBR and reinstalls MS's MBR. AFAIK the other alternative is to
    > use MS's boot.ini to boot everything.
    >

    >> It would be nice to put it on hda2, which is where windows actually boots
    >> from.
    >> Is that something to do with fdisk and making partition 'active' ?
    >> The recovery partition is invisible to windows.
    >>
    >> I have the recovery dvd's which I made using acer utlites, which are
    >> bootable
    >> I also have a retail XP cd-rom.
    >>
    >> I recall there is an option to fix lilo from the install dvd, but I can't
    >> find that message.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Stuart

    P.S. grub is IMHO lots easier to work with.

  4. Re: mandriva on acer aspire

    "ray" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.04.20.22.28.35.984832@zianet.com...
    > On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:07:18 +0000, Stuart Miller wrote:
    >
    >> I am attempting to install mandriva 2006 on an acer aspire 5101 laptop,
    >> dual boot with xp
    >>
    >> This machine comes with a small partition at the front of the hard drive
    >> which contains the windows restore files
    >> Mandriva recognizes that as hda1. The remainder of the hard drive is two
    >> equal sized fat32 partitions, hda2 and hda3
    >> I resized the second partition and installed without any problems, usual
    >> swap and hda6.
    >> The problem now is with the boot loader.
    >>
    >> I need to keep the restore partition intact, as someobody else will get
    >> this
    >> machine when I am done with it, and they most likely will need some xp
    >> capability.
    >>
    >> I initially put lilo on hda6, but there is no way (that I can see) to
    >> access
    >> that during startup (oops) , so I can not start mandriva to fix the lilo
    >> problem. I can restart the install process, and get to configure
    >> bootloader,
    >> see below. I can not actually see how mandriva views the drive, but the
    >> knoppix live cd sees
    >> hda1 - recovery
    >> hda2 - usual xp 'c' drive
    >> hda3 - remaining fat32 'd' drive
    >> hda6 - mandriva install
    >>
    >> That leaves hda1, which may damage the recovey partition. The machine
    >> will
    >> boot from there is you press alt-f10 during power on.
    >>
    >> Only other spot offered is hda, which would be the mbr.
    >>
    >> Will that also damage the recovery partition?
    >> Or the ability to boot from it?
    >> Can I re-write the mbr to boot from second partition?

    > I have installed Ubuntu on an Everex (cheapie from WalMart - the other
    > evil empire) which has a recovery partition as well as xp. I allowed it to
    > write to the mbr and evrything is bootable. You can boot Ubuntu or boot xp
    > or boot the recovery partition. BTW - booting the recovery, of course,
    > wipes the MBR and reinstalls MS's MBR.

    > AFAIK the other alternative is to
    > use MS's boot.ini to boot everything.

    I like that idea - minimum changes to the computer until I get other things
    settled

    current line is
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(5)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center
    Edition" and some switches
    I have added an extra line directing it to
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(5)\="linux"
    where /hda6 is the 5th partition on the drive

    It displays both lines and still boots XP, but when I select linux is just
    restarts the computer.

    Can someone give me the correct syntax for the boot line?

    Stuart

    >> It would be nice to put it on hda2, which is where windows actually boots
    >> from.
    >> Is that something to do with fdisk and making partition 'active' ?
    >> The recovery partition is invisible to windows.
    >>
    >> I have the recovery dvd's which I made using acer utlites, which are
    >> bootable
    >> I also have a retail XP cd-rom.
    >>
    >> I recall there is an option to fix lilo from the install dvd, but I can't
    >> find that message.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Stuart

  5. Re: mandriva on acer aspire

    "Stuart Miller" wrote in message

    > "ray" wrote in message
    > newsan.2007.04.20.22.28.35.984832@zianet.com...
    >> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:07:18 +0000, Stuart Miller wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am attempting to install mandriva 2006 on an acer aspire 5101 laptop,
    >>> dual boot with xp
    >>>
    >>> This machine comes with a small partition at the front of the hard drive
    >>> which contains the windows restore files

    >> I have installed Ubuntu on an Everex (cheapie from WalMart - the other
    >> evil empire) which has a recovery partition as well as xp. I allowed it
    >> write to the mbr and evrything is bootable. You can boot Ubuntu or boot
    >> xp
    >> or boot the recovery partition. BTW - booting the recovery, of course,
    >> wipes the MBR and reinstalls MS's MBR.

    >> AFAIK the other alternative is to
    >> use MS's boot.ini to boot everything.

    > I like that idea - minimum changes to the computer until I get other
    > things settled
    >

    > current line is
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(5)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center
    > Edition" and some switches
    > I have added an extra line directing it to
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(5)\="linux"
    > where /hda6 is the 5th partition on the drive

    After some searching, I found a process for modifying the boot.ini records -
    that it a bit to involved for right now.
    I put lilo on the mbr, and that worked just fine.
    Interesting that it set up 'windows' which is xp, and 'windows1' which is
    the recovery partition
    Mandriva hangs on bootup, at the line for setting alsa
    I will try to solve that issue next week, along with getting the wireless to
    work

    I booted from the dvd, in 'rescue', tried to restore the mbr but it could
    not find a valid boot record. ???
    I booted mandriva in failsafe mode, used 'lilo -u' and now I have the acer
    boot record back.
    Thanks to ray for that

    Stuart

  6. Re: mandriva on acer aspire

    On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:07:18 +0000, Stuart Miller wrote:

    > I am attempting to install mandriva 2006 on an acer aspire 5101 laptop, to
    > dual boot with xp

    I'm in a similar situation, planning to install Mandriva Free 2007 on a
    Toshiba Satellite Pro A120-185, to dual boot with Vista - and wondering
    if Mandriva 2007 can properly install a boot loader GRUB/LILO) in the
    Vista MBR.

    The 100G drive has a similar layout:

    According to GParted:

    Unallocated: 1M
    /dev/sda1 NTFS 1.46G (Used: 187M)
    /dev/sda2 NTFS 46.6G (Used: 9.7G) 'Boot'
    /dev/sda3 NTFS 45G (Used: 87M)

    (Presumably /dev/sda1 is the 'hidden' recovery partition, but why only
    187M used?)

    According to Vista:

    C: "Vista"
    E: "Data"
    F: DVD drive

    (So what happened to D: ? I notice that a USB flash drive becomes D:...)

    --
    Maurice Batey