Lame Q: - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Lame Q: - Mandriva ; Novice needs a howto to create a lame Audacity will accept. Thanks...

  1. Lame Q:

    Novice needs a howto to create a lame Audacity will accept.
    Thanks

  2. Re: Lame Q:

    Ed writes:

    > Novice needs a howto to create a lame Audacity will accept.

    A "lame"?

    Do you mean an MP3?

    According to the man page, Audacity support for MP3
    input files is optional. We'd need to know more about
    your version of Audacity.

  3. Re: Lame Q:

    Ed wrote:
    > Novice needs a howto to create a lame Audacity will accept.
    > Thanks

    Audacity is a recorder, not a player, is it not? The only input I use
    with it is a microphone.

    Donald

  4. Re: Lame Q:

    donald tees writes:

    > Ed wrote:
    >> Novice needs a howto to create a lame Audacity will accept.
    >> Thanks

    > Audacity is a recorder, not a player, is it not? The only input I use
    > with it is a microphone.

    No it's also an editor.
    I use it to clean up wav files ripped from vinyl.
    It does a great job.
    It can also do the recording from vinyl but I usually
    use gramofile for that.

  5. Re: Lame Q:

    "donald tees" wrote in message
    news:caydnUSsquawHrvbnZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d@golden.net.. .
    :
    : Audacity is a recorder, not a player, is it not? The only input I use
    : with it is a microphone.
    :
    Audacity is a recorder/player/editor and encoder. The 'lame_enc.dll' the OP
    refers to is the windows machine to make it encode/export files to .mp3
    format. He wants to know what is the Linux equivalent i presume.

  6. Re: Lame Q:

    Dan Espen wrote:
    > donald tees writes:
    >
    >> Ed wrote:
    >>> Novice needs a howto to create a lame Audacity will accept.
    >>> Thanks

    >> Audacity is a recorder, not a player, is it not? The only input I use
    >> with it is a microphone.

    > No it's also an editor.
    > I use it to clean up wav files ripped from vinyl.
    > It does a great job.
    > It can also do the recording from vinyl but I usually
    > use gramofile for that.

    Ah, that makes sense. I would think though, that editing a compressed
    file might be problematic.

    Donald

  7. Re: Lame Q:

    Ed wrote:
    > Novice needs a howto to create a lame Audacity will accept.
    > Thanks

    I did this a while back, but my memory is a bit sketchy and I don't
    currently have access to my Linux box, so apologies in advance for this
    description.

    You probably tried to export some sound as mp3, and Audacity popped up a
    dialogue saying that it needed a library. It gave you the name of the
    library, lame.so or somesuch. You can browse for the library file. Is
    this what you were seeing?

    As I recall, the name of the library was not quite correct on my
    Mandriva laptop; can't remember exactly but I think there was a number
    appended, so lame.so-6 instead of lame.so, something like that. So,
    since Audacity has given you the name of the library, you can go looking
    for a similar file with a command like locate or find, but you should
    use wildcards. You might like to in^H^Hconsult the man page for these
    commands, open Konqueror and enter man://locate as the url, or maybe the
    url is #locate -- darn, I hate trying to rely on my memory.

    So if you use locate lame*.so* and it tells you there's something
    matching in /usr/lib, you tell Audacity to use that. When I did that, it
    asked me was I sure, because it expected a slightly different name. Two
    ways of approaching this: tell it to use the file anyway, or create a
    symlink with the name that Audacity expected. Either is as good as the
    other, but I made a symlink anyway in case something else would be
    looking for a library with that name.

    At this point, I could edit files and save them as mp3. But I still
    can't record. Ah well. That'll be another thread.

    Any of this make sense?

    Frank

+ Reply to Thread