ethernet fail to initialize at boot - Mandriva

This is a discussion on ethernet fail to initialize at boot - Mandriva ; Since a while, my ethernet driver fails to load sucessfully at boot. I guess it is since I tried to setup my tv card with the hardware manager. Before that, it always started successfully. Anyway, I have to run the ...

  1. ethernet fail to initialize at boot

    Since a while, my ethernet driver fails to load sucessfully at boot.
    I guess it is since I tried to setup my tv card with the hardware
    manager.
    Before that, it always started successfully.

    Anyway, I have to run the config manager and setup an Internet
    connection manually and it succeed.
    Even though I precise in the gui that it can start at boot and that
    users may start the connection, it still fails to start at boot.

    I wonder if someone may help me setting it up correctly?

    I run Mandriva 2006 (64-bit version).

  2. Re: ethernet fail to initialize at boot

    Maitre Bart wrote:
    > Since a while, my ethernet driver fails to load sucessfully at boot.
    > I guess it is since I tried to setup my tv card with the hardware
    > manager.

    One possibility is that the init scripts for the tv card and
    your network connection are being loaded in the wrong sequence.
    Go to /etc/rc.d/rc3.d (or rc5.d if you boot into the desktop)
    and look for the network script (mine is S10network) and the
    script for your tv card (don't know what its name might be).

    Change the number after the S to alter the order in which it
    will load during boot. S10network will load before S11shorewall
    for example. Note that these are symbolic links (use ls -l to
    see where they point). To change one, eg S10network to
    S11network, you will have to (as root)

    rm S10network
    ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/network S11network

    Before tinkering with this, you may want to
    ls -l S* > junk
    and move the file junk to a safe place.
    Then, if things get messed up, you can use
    that file to figure out how to recreate the
    symbolic links in their original order.

    I do not know which could come first. Perhaps the network
    script needs to run first to set up things, or perhaps the tv
    card script is overwriting something and you would do better to
    load the network later. Just try to figure out what the current
    sequence is, and reverse the order in which the two scripts run.

    Do take care that the change in sequence does not foul up
    something else. Shorewall should follow network, for example.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    Unix is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: ethernet fail to initialize at boot

    Thank very much J.

    Something magic happened such that I donŽt have the problem
    anymore?!?!
    I touched nothing and suddenly tonight it boots ok... ???
    Anyway, IŽll keep your precious reply carefully.
    It might help me in the future?

    Bart.

+ Reply to Thread