Caution regarding using LVM physical drives in a dual boot with M$ - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Caution regarding using LVM physical drives in a dual boot with M$ - Mandriva ; I have two Logical Volume Management Groups on my system. I was experimenting a bit. I erased the partition table from a usb flash drive, and then used pvcreate to use the entire usd drive as a physical volume. I ...

  1. Caution regarding using LVM physical drives in a dual boot with M$

    I have two Logical Volume Management Groups on my system.

    I was experimenting a bit. I erased the partition table
    from a usb flash drive, and then used pvcreate to use
    the entire usd drive as a physical volume. I didn't
    extend any of the logical volumes, to the drive, so it had no
    data on it. Note that this includes erasing the partition
    table, so the entire drive is a physical volume, rather
    then just a partition on that drive.

    I did my usual monthly reboot into XP, to install the latest
    extra patches, and update the av definitions.

    While running XP, I did execute "My Computer". At some point,
    (I'm not sure when), XP corrupted the first sector of the flash
    drive, creating an invalid partition table.

    When I rebooted to linux, I got a bunch of error messages regarding
    the Volume Group not being able to find all of the physical volumes
    that belong to it.

    Luckily, this VG is the one I use for my backup copy of Mandriva.

    I tried editing the files under /etc/lvm, to remove all references
    to the no longer available physical drive. No luck. Apparently,
    the uuid of the now missing PV is stored in somewher in the other
    partitions, assigned as a PV, within that volume group.

    Using diskdrake to re-add the still existing PV (which contained my
    backup copy of Mandriva), resulted in the PV being added, but empty.

    I've sucessfully recovered everything from backups, but I just want
    to warn everyone, not to use LVM physical drives, on a computer with
    any M$ crap installed.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  2. Re: Caution regarding using LVM physical drives in a dual boot with M$

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > I've sucessfully recovered everything from backups, but I just want
    > to warn everyone, not to use LVM physical drives, on a computer with
    > any M$ crap installed.

    I've never understood why Fedora uses it out of the box. Nothing but
    trouble.

  3. Re: Caution regarding using LVM physical drives in a dual boot with M$

    On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:36:49 -0400, Simon J. Rowe wrote:

    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> I've sucessfully recovered everything from backups, but I just want
    >> to warn everyone, not to use LVM physical drives, on a computer with
    >> any M$ crap installed.

    > I've never understood why Fedora uses it out of the box. Nothing but
    > trouble.

    In general, I find LVM to be very usefull. This was my first
    experiment with a physical drive (i.e. no partition table), and
    in this case, it was on a removable usb flash drive, which
    was corrupted by letting windows "view the existance of the drive".

    Recovering from a lost PV, when that PV had no data in it, should
    be fairly easy, but I haven't figured out how, and wiped the metadata
    in my first attempt.

    Except for this one case, I've found LVM to be good, for altering
    filesystem sizes, adding a new hd, etc, without having to move
    existing data.

    As always, when experimenting, make sure your backups are up-to-date.

    If you do use lvm physical drives (not lvm physical volumes), don't
    let any m$ software run while the drive is connected.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins