VNC server/client that does file sharing. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on VNC server/client that does file sharing. - Mandriva ; I have tried TightVNC, KRDC, and KRFB for VNC connections. I have found that I am in need of a VNC program that is also capable of transfering files to the other computer. I have used UltraVNC, at work on ...

  1. VNC server/client that does file sharing.

    I have tried TightVNC, KRDC, and KRFB for VNC connections. I have found
    that I am in need of a VNC program that is also capable of transfering
    files to the other computer. I have used UltraVNC, at work on a Windows
    machine, which has this feature built into it but I am unable to find a
    program like it in Linux.

    I have been logged into a machine and see that I need to add a program to
    that machine. The file is on my machine and no way to get it to the
    other machine. UltraVNC has a file sharing button in the tool bar.
    clicking on the button it opens a program that looks just like an FTP
    program, one computer on the left and the other computer on the right. I
    can then transfer the file, unpack it, install it and see if it fixes the
    problem.

    If anyone knows of a program in Mandriva that will do this please let me
    know.

    As always... Thanks for your input.

    Klutzier than most.

  2. Re: VNC server/client that does file sharing.

    kLUTZ wrote:
    > I have tried TightVNC, KRDC, and KRFB for VNC connections. I have found
    > that I am in need of a VNC program that is also capable of transfering
    > files to the other computer. I have used UltraVNC, at work on a Windows
    > machine, which has this feature built into it but I am unable to find a
    > program like it in Linux.
    >
    > I have been logged into a machine and see that I need to add a program to
    > that machine. The file is on my machine and no way to get it to the
    > other machine. UltraVNC has a file sharing button in the tool bar.
    > clicking on the button it opens a program that looks just like an FTP
    > program, one computer on the left and the other computer on the right. I
    > can then transfer the file, unpack it, install it and see if it fixes the
    > problem.
    >
    > If anyone knows of a program in Mandriva that will do this please let me
    > know.
    >

    > As always... Thanks for your input.
    >
    > Klutzier than most.

    I don't know of any vnc program that does this in linux, but if you can
    access the remote computer by ssh then u could use the fish proticol, it
    is not the fastist protical, took alday to download my home dir from my
    desktop to my laptop so I could reinstall but it is fine for small
    files, it lets you get at all of the filesystem as if you were on htat
    computer logged in as the user you used to access the computer, kde can
    handle the fish protical in konqurer no problems.

  3. Re: VNC server/client that does file sharing.

    "chris gareau" wrote in message
    newskbVh.87868$6m4.71952@pd7urf1no...

    > kLUTZ wrote:
    >> I have tried TightVNC, KRDC, and KRFB for VNC connections. I have found
    >> that I am in need of a VNC program that is also capable of transfering
    >> files to the other computer. I have used UltraVNC, at work on a Windows
    >> machine, which has this feature built into it but I am unable to find a
    >> program like it in Linux.
    >>
    >> I have been logged into a machine and see that I need to add a program to
    >> that machine. The file is on my machine and no way to get it to the
    >> other machine. UltraVNC has a file sharing button in the tool bar.
    >> clicking on the button it opens a program that looks just like an FTP
    >> program, one computer on the left and the other computer on the right. I
    >> can then transfer the file, unpack it, install it and see if it fixes the
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> If anyone knows of a program in Mandriva that will do this please let me
    >> know. As always... Thanks for your input.
    >>
    >> Klutzier than most.

    > I don't know of any vnc program that does this in linux, but if you can
    > access the remote computer by ssh then u could use the fish proticol, it
    > is not the fastist protical, took alday to download my home dir from my
    > desktop to my laptop so I could reinstall but it is fine for small files,
    > it lets you get at all of the filesystem as if you were on htat computer
    > logged in as the user you used to access the computer, kde can handle the
    > fish protical in konqurer no problems.

    Also if you are ALSO wanting to transfer files from a Windows PC to a Linux
    computer you could use the WinSCP application which gives an Explorer or
    Norton Commander type interface to transfer files via a SSH connection.
    You can download and install OpenSSH for Windows (NT4/2K/XP/2K3) that will
    allow you to connect from the Linux computer to the Windows computer. You
    can gaol the route if you need to do so. You can then use
    sftp://Windows_box_IP from Konqueror for a GUI to manage the file transfers
    from the Linux computer.

    You can always redirect the ports for the VNC through the SSH channel for a
    secure connection across the Internet or even just your own LAN if required.
    A simple graphical application that you can use to do this is Putty, this is
    available for both Windows and Linux. It is currently the only access to my
    other computers from this work laptop as after a major medical operation I
    am not allowed to climb the ladders to the room they are located within.
    VNC and WinSCP work at an acceptable speed over our old 22Mbit wireless
    connection at 1024x768 resolution 8 bit colour for the VNC connection.
    WinSCP took a couple of hours to transfer the Mandriva DVD.iso file across
    to a Mandriva based computer.

    According to the information available online for ultravnc you should be
    able to acess the machine AND transfer files from any java enabled browser
    on any OS to an ultravnc (Windows) server. http://www.uvnc.com/index.html

    I've never tested ultravnc over a browser always through ssh.

    Andrew Ed

  4. Re: VNC server/client that does file sharing.

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:30:13 +0100, Andrew Ed wrote:

> [...]

    > A simple graphical application that you can use to do this is Putty, this is
    > available for both Windows and Linux. It is currently the only access to my
    > other computers from this work laptop as after a major medical operation I
    > am not allowed to climb the ladders to the room they are located within.
    > VNC and WinSCP work at an acceptable speed over our old 22Mbit wireless
    > connection at 1024x768 resolution 8 bit colour for the VNC connection.
    > WinSCP took a couple of hours to transfer the Mandriva DVD.iso file across
    > to a Mandriva based computer.
    >
    > According to the information available online for ultravnc you should be
    > able to acess the machine AND transfer files from any java enabled browser
    > on any OS to an ultravnc (Windows) server. http://www.uvnc.com/index.html
    >
    > I've never tested ultravnc over a browser always through ssh.

    Thank you very much for this input. I will be trying the winSCP and putty
    when I have a few minutes alone. I will let you know how that turns out.

    Again thanks for the input.

    Klutzier than most.

  5. Re: VNC server/client that does file sharing.

    kLUTZ wrote:

    > I have tried TightVNC, KRDC, and KRFB for VNC connections. I have found
    > that I am in need of a VNC program that is also capable of transfering
    > files to the other computer. I have used UltraVNC, at work on a Windows
    > machine, which has this feature built into it but I am unable to find a
    > program like it in Linux.
    >
    > I have been logged into a machine and see that I need to add a program to
    > that machine. The file is on my machine and no way to get it to the
    > other machine. UltraVNC has a file sharing button in the tool bar.
    > clicking on the button it opens a program that looks just like an FTP
    > program, one computer on the left and the other computer on the right. I
    > can then transfer the file, unpack it, install it and see if it fixes the
    > problem.
    >
    > If anyone knows of a program in Mandriva that will do this please let me
    > know.
    >

    > As always... Thanks for your input.
    >
    > Klutzier than most.

    You should be able to do this with Samba. I am looking into Samba at the
    moment. My Mandriva machine can see the Windows box, but the Windows box
    can't see the Mandriva box. Just perpetuating the Microsoft "blindness":
    If they can't see it, it doesn't exist.

    Doug L.
    --
    Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people
    who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.

+ Reply to Thread