Arg! XMMS doesn't work! - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Arg! XMMS doesn't work! - Mandriva ; I have asked about this before in the Linux group so I'm cross-posting to 24hs.hd. Installed xmms using the Mandriva rpm. Run xmms, get error message xmms: error while loading shared libraries: libxmms.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such ...

  1. Arg! XMMS doesn't work!

    I have asked about this before in the Linux group so I'm cross-posting to
    24hs.hd.

    Installed xmms using the Mandriva rpm. Run xmms, get error message

    xmms: error while loading shared libraries: libxmms.so.1: cannot open

    Trying to install libxmms.so.1, says it's already there.

    Has anyone a solution for this? Is it an oversight on the part of the
    Mandriva developers, or what?

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630N 117.754195W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org

  2. Re: Arg! XMMS doesn't work!

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:32:01 -0700, Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > I have asked about this before in the Linux group so I'm cross-posting to
    > 24hs.hd.
    >
    > Installed xmms using the Mandriva rpm. Run xmms, get error message
    >
    > xmms: error while loading shared libraries: libxmms.so.1: cannot open
    >
    > Trying to install libxmms.so.1, says it's already there.
    >
    > Has anyone a solution for this? Is it an oversight on the part of the
    > Mandriva developers, or what?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Oh Bite me Gary!

  3. Re: Arg! XMMS doesn't work!

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:32:01 -0700, Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > I have asked about this before in the Linux group so I'm cross-posting to
    > 24hs.hd.

    > Installed xmms using the Mandriva rpm. Run xmms, get error message

    > xmms: error while loading shared libraries: libxmms.so.1: cannot open

    > Trying to install libxmms.so.1, says it's already there.

    > Has anyone a solution for this? Is it an oversight on the part of the
    > Mandriva developers, or what?

    Build from source. I guarantee if it will compile it will work perfectly.

    Some MDV packages just are botched. lm_sensors wouldn't work on my
    vanilla P4, Intel 865PE setup. I compiled from source and now all is
    well. This isn't the first time I've had to do that.

    Way I usually approach it is try the precompiled binary first. If that
    fails then I grab the source.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  4. Re: Arg! XMMS doesn't work!

    Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > I have asked about this before in the Linux group so I'm cross-posting to
    > 24hs.hd.
    >
    > Installed xmms using the Mandriva rpm. Run xmms, get error message
    >
    > xmms: error while loading shared libraries: libxmms.so.1: cannot open
    >
    > Trying to install libxmms.so.1, says it's already there.
    >
    > Has anyone a solution for this? Is it an oversight on the part of the
    > Mandriva developers, or what?

    What version of Mandriva are you using?

    The install disks for all the Mandriva distributions (since at least v7.0)
    have come with xmms compiled for that version. Are you using the RPM from
    the install disks you used to install Mandriva?

  5. Re: Arg! XMMS doesn't work!

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:32:01 -0400, Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > Installed xmms using the Mandriva rpm. Run xmms, get error message
    > xmms: error while loading shared libraries: libxmms.so.1: cannot open

    Ensure the following links and file exist ...
    $ ll /usr/lib/libxmm*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Nov 5 17:36 /usr/lib/libxmms.so.0 -> libxmms.so.1*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Nov 5 17:36 /usr/lib/libxmms.so.1 -> libxmms.so.1.3.1*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 283064 Sep 4 2006 /usr/lib/libxmms.so.1.3.1*

    If they aren't there, run "urpmi libxmms1".

    As root, run ldconfig. Then try xmms again.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins