No floppy install in 7.1 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on No floppy install in 7.1 - Mandriva ; In the name of progress there are no floppy install images in 7.1. Too bad, as that was a really easy way to install Mandriva 2007.0 and earlier (assuming a fast mirror was available.) The 2007.1 release notes say: Floppy ...

  1. No floppy install in 7.1

    In the name of progress there are no floppy install images in 7.1.
    Too bad, as that was a really easy way to install Mandriva 2007.0
    and earlier (assuming a fast mirror was available.)

    The 2007.1 release notes say:

    Floppy disk install images dropped

    The old floppy disk install images - (cdrom.img, network.img,
    pcmcia.img) - have been discontinued. You must use the CD image
    boot.iso, the USB drive image all.img, or directly use
    isolinux/alt0 (using tftp for example).

    That's going to be a little painful. Some of my machines
    have a floppy but no CD. In theory they support USB boot, but
    I've never tried it and this motherboard's support of USB functions
    has historically been less than stellar. They do PXE boot correctly,
    only the campus mirror is not on my private net, and I have no way to
    service PXE requests on the campus net. I Suppose one could pxe boot
    to the installer and then when it comes up swap the network cable to
    the campus net. And pray that the installer doesn't bail when it sees
    the network drop.

    Otherwise, it looks like I may be trying the newfangled "Booting the
    installer direct from a hard disk - Linux method". Good thing that
    all.rdz and vmlinux in i586/isolinux/alt0 are small, as the /boot
    partition on these systems aren't very big. Even better that I don't
    need to do an install on a clean disk!

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  2. Re: No floppy install in 7.1

    David Mathog wrote:

    > In the name of progress there are no floppy install images in 7.1.
    > Too bad, as that was a really easy way to install Mandriva 2007.0
    > and earlier (assuming a fast mirror was available.)
    >
    > The 2007.1 release notes say:
    >
    > Floppy disk install images dropped
    >
    > The old floppy disk install images - (cdrom.img, network.img,
    > pcmcia.img) - have been discontinued. You must use the CD image
    > boot.iso, the USB drive image all.img, or directly use
    > isolinux/alt0 (using tftp for example).
    >
    > That's going to be a little painful. Some of my machines
    > have a floppy but no CD. In theory they support USB boot, but
    > I've never tried it and this motherboard's support of USB functions
    > has historically been less than stellar. They do PXE boot correctly,
    > only the campus mirror is not on my private net, and I have no way to
    > service PXE requests on the campus net. I Suppose one could pxe boot
    > to the installer and then when it comes up swap the network cable to
    > the campus net. And pray that the installer doesn't bail when it sees
    > the network drop.
    >
    > Otherwise, it looks like I may be trying the newfangled "Booting the
    > installer direct from a hard disk - Linux method". Good thing that
    > all.rdz and vmlinux in i586/isolinux/alt0 are small, as the /boot
    > partition on these systems aren't very big. Even better that I don't
    > need to do an install on a clean disk!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > David Mathog

    Fair enough, but my wife's computer hasn't got a floppy drive, and I expect
    that my new one (if they ever stop telling me that they need to upgrade its
    specs) won't have one either.

    Doug.
    --
    The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said.
    - Peter E. Drucker.

  3. Re: No floppy install in 7.1

    David Mathog wrote:
    > In the name of progress there are no floppy install images in 7.1.
    > Too bad, as that was a really easy way to install Mandriva 2007.0
    > and earlier (assuming a fast mirror was available.)
    >
    > The 2007.1 release notes say:
    >
    > Floppy disk install images dropped
    >
    > The old floppy disk install images - (cdrom.img, network.img,
    > pcmcia.img) - have been discontinued. You must use the CD image
    > boot.iso, the USB drive image all.img, or directly use
    > isolinux/alt0 (using tftp for example).
    >
    > That's going to be a little painful. Some of my machines
    > have a floppy but no CD. In theory they support USB boot, but
    > I've never tried it and this motherboard's support of USB functions
    > has historically been less than stellar. They do PXE boot correctly,
    > only the campus mirror is not on my private net, and I have no way to
    > service PXE requests on the campus net. I Suppose one could pxe boot
    > to the installer and then when it comes up swap the network cable to
    > the campus net. And pray that the installer doesn't bail when it sees
    > the network drop.
    >
    > Otherwise, it looks like I may be trying the newfangled "Booting the
    > installer direct from a hard disk - Linux method". Good thing that
    > all.rdz and vmlinux in i586/isolinux/alt0 are small, as the /boot
    > partition on these systems aren't very big. Even better that I don't
    > need to do an install on a clean disk!

    Why not just byte the bullet, and install a CD or DVD burner before
    starting? If they support USB boot, I am sure they support an atapi boot.

    They are down under $100 these days, even for a DVD. The CD duals are
    50-60 dollars. It is hardly worth the effort of doing without.

    Donald

  4. Re: No floppy install in 7.1

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 12:08:59 -0700, David Mathog wrote:
    > In the name of progress there are no floppy install images in 7.1.

    Yes, and java plugin not installed kinda bites. You are screwed because
    sun.com requires java for you to pick/download the java package.

    You may want to update your admin diary to get the lastest jre and
    save it for when doing a clean install.

    Currently under 2007.1 the java sun rpm (1.6.0_00) will not install from the
    "public" mandriva non-free repository.

    Current jre is jre1.6.0_01 (jre-6u1-linux-i586) from java.com

+ Reply to Thread