upgrade 7.0 to 7.1 or reinstall? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on upgrade 7.0 to 7.1 or reinstall? - Mandriva ; Is 7.1 close enough to 7.0 that an upgrade is reasonable? Or is it better to reinstall? Most of these machines are running a 2.6.19.3 kernel. I also have one Mandriva 2006 system, unfortunately the main file server, which should ...

  1. upgrade 7.0 to 7.1 or reinstall?

    Is 7.1 close enough to 7.0 that an upgrade is reasonable? Or is it
    better to reinstall? Most of these machines are running a 2.6.19.3 kernel.

    I also have one Mandriva 2006 system, unfortunately the main file
    server, which should probably be upgraded too since support just
    terminated on that release. Presumably that one should be reinstalled
    rather than upgraded. The 2006 server only uses blackbox and 99% of kde
    and gnome aren't even installed, just those few bits and pieces that
    are hard to avoid.

    Yes, I'm going to wait until 7.1 free has been around a few weeks before
    doing this.

    Thanks,

    David Mathog

  2. Re: upgrade 7.0 to 7.1 or reinstall?

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 11:33:10 -0700, David Mathog wrote:
    > Is 7.1 close enough to 7.0 that an upgrade is reasonable?
    > Or is it better to reinstall?

    I always recommend a clean install. I have a few spare 8 to 10 gig
    partitions. Once I have an install running the old release partition
    becomes the next release test partition.

    Shoot, copy current install into one, change fstab, and practice an
    upgrade if you really need to do the upgrade.

    > Yes, I'm going to wait until 7.1 free has been around a few weeks before
    > doing this.

    Never hurts to get a Release Candidate 3, clean install all package
    groups and start researching each of the daemon/services and config
    files.

+ Reply to Thread