Hard drives unmounting when not in use? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Hard drives unmounting when not in use? - Mandriva ; I've never seen this behavior in Mandrake 10.1, but I've had to come up with a script that remounts the hard drive's partitions. It's the second hard drive which has all my 10.1 stuff, tools here and there that are ...

  1. Hard drives unmounting when not in use?

    I've never seen this behavior in Mandrake 10.1, but I've had to come
    up with a script that remounts the hard drive's partitions. It's the
    second hard drive which has all my 10.1 stuff, tools here and there
    that are still useful when they run under Mandriva 2007, but if they
    don't, I urpmi the newer versions.

    Is there a setting that I can disable so they do not unmount? I have
    to access /usr/local/ and /home (under different names of course) from
    time to time.

  2. Re: Hard drives unmounting when not in use?

    On 16 Apr 2007 07:36:28 -0700, shedied@gmail.com wrote:
    > I've never seen this behavior in Mandrake 10.1, but I've had to come
    > up with a script that remounts the hard drive's partitions. It's the
    > second hard drive which has all my 10.1 stuff, tools here and there
    > that are still useful when they run under Mandriva 2007, but if they
    > don't, I urpmi the newer versions.
    >
    > Is there a setting that I can disable so they do not unmount? I have
    > to access /usr/local/ and /home (under different names of course) from
    > time to time.

    If the 2'nd drive partition has noauto in the fstab line, remove it.
    Should automount on next boot and stay up.

    I add user,noauto, to mine so their files do not show up in the slocate
    database and I can mount them without having to use root privs.

  3. Re: Hard drives unmounting when not in use?

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:36:28 -0400, wrote:

    > I've never seen this behavior in Mandrake 10.1, but I've had to come
    > up with a script that remounts the hard drive's partitions. It's the
    > second hard drive which has all my 10.1 stuff, tools here and there
    > that are still useful when they run under Mandriva 2007, but if they
    > don't, I urpmi the newer versions.

    I've never seen this on 2007 either.

    Check the contents of
    /var/spool/cron
    /var/spool/at
    /etc/crontab
    /etc/cron.d
    /etc/cron.hourly

    Also post the related lines from /etc/fstab.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Hard drives unmounting when not in use?

    shedied@gmail.com wrote:
    > I've never seen this behavior in Mandrake 10.1, but I've had to come
    > up with a script that remounts the hard drive's partitions. It's the
    > second hard drive which has all my 10.1 stuff, tools here and there
    > that are still useful when they run under Mandriva 2007, but if they
    > don't, I urpmi the newer versions.
    >
    > Is there a setting that I can disable so they do not unmount? I have
    > to access /usr/local/ and /home (under different names of course) from
    > time to time.

    I noticed my second hard drive has been doing exactly the same thing,
    how odd. Glad to know i'm not as crazy as I thought.

  5. Re: Hard drives unmounting when not in use?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On 16 Apr 2007 07:36:28 -0700, shedied@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I've never seen this behavior in Mandrake 10.1, but I've had to come
    >> up with a script that remounts the hard drive's partitions. It's the
    >> second hard drive which has all my 10.1 stuff, tools here and there
    >> that are still useful when they run under Mandriva 2007, but if they
    >> don't, I urpmi the newer versions.
    >>
    >> Is there a setting that I can disable so they do not unmount? I have
    >> to access /usr/local/ and /home (under different names of course) from
    >> time to time.

    > If the 2'nd drive partition has noauto in the fstab line, remove it.
    > Should automount on next boot and stay up.
    >
    > I add user,noauto, to mine so their files do not show up in the slocate
    > database and I can mount them without having to use root privs.

    (sorry for hijacking this thread, but I'm having the same issue!)

    My fstab entry for the second drive does not have noauto on it, any
    other suggestions?

  6. Re: Hard drives unmounting when not in use?

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:06:44 +1000, Em wrote:
    >> On 16 Apr 2007 07:36:28 -0700, shedied@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> I've never seen this behavior in Mandrake 10.1, but I've had to come
    >>> up with a script that remounts the hard drive's partitions. It's the
    >>> second hard drive which has all my 10.1 stuff, tools here and there
    >>> that are still useful when they run under Mandriva 2007, but if they
    >>> don't, I urpmi the newer versions.

    > (sorry for hijacking this thread, but I'm having the same issue!)
    >
    > My fstab entry for the second drive does not have noauto on it, any
    > other suggestions?

    Just a SWAG, Maybe powersave takes the drive down.
    Any hints in /var/log/messages?

    I have not seen the problem on my two Western Digital ata drive desktop.
    Then again it is several years old without the fancy stuff
    you see now adays and I check/install updates nightly.

    -------- Standard FYI include text follows: --------------------------
    You may get more helpful answers when you provide details pertaining
    to your setup and problem, like Vendor (Fedora, red hat, *buntu, Mandriva,...),
    Release (10.x, 2007.x,,,, ). desktop (gnome,kde,..), command used,
    exact error message(s), config file,.....

  7. Re: Hard drives unmounting when not in use?

    On Apr 18, 6:06 am, Bit Twister wrote:

    > > (sorry for hijacking this thread, but I'm having the same issue!)

    > > My fstab entry for the second drive does not have noauto on it, any
    > > other suggestions?

    > Just a SWAG, Maybe powersave takes the drive down.
    > Any hints in /var/log/messages?
    >
    > I have not seen the problem on my two Western Digital ata drive desktop.
    > Then again it is several years old without the fancy stuff
    > you see now adays and I check/install updates nightly.

    here is how those partitions are set up in /etc/fstab
    /dev/hdb7 /HOME ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hdb8 /USR ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hdb5 /ROOT ext3 defaults 1 2

    but even logging in as a user I get /home/blahblah blah not defined,
    falling back to shell!
    /dev/hda5 /home ext3 user,auto 1 2
    so I made the change above as you've suggested; hopefully I won't see
    THAT error anymore. Thanks!

    THose drives 'nodding off' on me gives the impression that I've been
    slacking! =) Well, it's a home PC but still...

  8. Re: Hard drives unmounting when not in use?

    On 18 Apr 2007 06:41:41 -0700, shedied@gmail.com wrote:

    > here is how those partitions are set up in /etc/fstab
    > /dev/hdb7 /HOME ext3 defaults 1 2
    > /dev/hdb8 /USR ext3 defaults 1 2
    > /dev/hdb5 /ROOT ext3 defaults 1 2
    >
    > but even logging in as a user I get /home/blahblah blah not defined,
    > falling back to shell!

    Yep, unix/linux is case sensitive. Change the /HOME to /home, /USR to /usr
    If /ROOT is root's account change it to /root.

    No idea how it was working with them uppercased.

  9. Re: Hard drives unmounting when not in use?

    On Apr 18, 9:58 am, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On 18 Apr 2007 06:41:41 -0700, shed...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > here is how those partitions are set up in /etc/fstab
    > > /dev/hdb7 /HOME ext3 defaults 1 2
    > > /dev/hdb8 /USR ext3 defaults 1 2
    > > /dev/hdb5 /ROOT ext3 defaults 1 2

    > > but even logging in as a user I get /home/blahblah blah not defined,
    > > falling back to shell!

    > Yep, unix/linux is case sensitive. Change the /HOME to /home, /USR to /usr
    > If /ROOT is root's account change it to /root.
    >
    > No idea how it was working with them uppercased.

    No, I'm sorry but I forgot to mention those uppercase HOME and ROOT
    refer to the old /home and /root on the second hard drive and have
    some optional accessories I access from time to time. THe current /
    home and /root are all new and from Mandriva 2007 Free DVD-i586
    install.

    Now forgetting about that momentary distraction, do you suppose the
    'ext3 defaults' are to blame for letting the hard drive hdb wind down?

  10. Re: Hard drives unmounting when not in use?

    On 19 Apr 2007 00:51:06 -0700, shedied@gmail.com wrote:

    > Now forgetting about that momentary distraction, do you suppose the
    > 'ext3 defaults' are to blame for letting the hard drive hdb wind down?

    No, see here is a snippet from mine
    $ grep default /etc/fstab | grep -v noauto
    /dev/hdb15 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    /dev/hdb7 /accounts ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hdb8 /local ext3 defaults 1 2
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/hdb5 /site ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hda6 /tmp ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hdb1 swap swap defaults 0 0

    I have not tested but if you have user,noauto the noauto will not
    mount the partition when system boots. When the user mounts a
    partition and logs off, the user's mounts are umounted.

    One of those events would be my guess as to why partitions are getting
    dismounted.

+ Reply to Thread