    how does mandriva 2007 compare to opensuse 10.2 64 bit versions
    reason for asking i am looking for a change

  2. Re: question

    On 2007-04-16, darklight wrote:
    > how does mandriva 2007 compare to opensuse 10.2 64 bit versions
    > reason for asking i am looking for a change

    It's not partners with M$. That should be enough.

  3. Re: question

    chuck wrote:
    > On 2007-04-16, darklight wrote:
    >> how does mandriva 2007 compare to opensuse 10.2 64 bit versions
    >> reason for asking i am looking for a change

    > It's not partners with M$. That should be enough.

    openSUSE is not partners with M$ either.

    The difference is openSUSE has different graphics (icons/themes)
    and uses different distro specific tools. eg. mcc vs yast2.

    The guts of it is same (more or less) for all distributions.

    One or the other might have a better distro specific tool for a specific
    purpose but neither will ever match the do it yourself power of vi(1) and man(1).

    Although, openSUSE is probably more up to date with various software packages
    than Mandriva is. But then PLF is (in my opinion) better than pacman.
    I also think zen/rug (or whatever it is now) in SUSE/openSUSE sucks just as much
    as it did several years ago (It's quite powerful, but breaks easily, and is slow).

    I use SLES/openSUSE for work and MDV at home (a rather complex home setup).

    In short, use what works for you, or whatever you happen to prefer.
    I prefer MDV because they keep the config files as the author intended
    (see wpa_supplicant on both distro's for an example).

  4. Re: question

    darklight wrote:
    > how does mandriva 2007 compare to opensuse 10.2 64 bit versions
    > reason for asking i am looking for a change

    Although I already replied above, I guess I should point
    out that using thunderbird within MDV allows you use
    the shift key and various punctuation keys.

    And yes, I found this to be true on an x86_64 machine.

  5. Re: question

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:30:58 +0100, darklight wrote:

    > how does mandriva 2007 compare to opensuse 10.2 64 bit versions
    > reason for asking i am looking for a change

    You'd get a bigger change by going to something Debian based rather than
    rpm to rpm.

  6. Re: question

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:30:58 +0100, darklight wrote:

    > how does mandriva 2007 compare to opensuse 10.2 64 bit versions
    > reason for asking i am looking for a change

    Your run-on sentence (question?) cannot be answered since you don't
    provide enough information. "How does it compare" in what way? Looks,
    performance, stability, what?

    Ever heard the phrase: "Garbage in, garbage out" ?

  7. Re: question

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 23:12:01 +1000, foo wrote:

    > chuck wrote:
    >> On 2007-04-16, darklight wrote:
    >>> how does mandriva 2007 compare to opensuse 10.2 64 bit versions
    >>> reason for asking i am looking for a change

    >> It's not partners with M$. That should be enough.

    > openSUSE is not partners with M$ either.

    Basically they are.. Directly from the opensuse web page

    "The openSUSE project is a community program sponsored by Novell"

    Nove's FAQ about their linux partnership with microsoft.

    http://www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/faq.html

  8. Re: question

    Dan C wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:30:58 +0100, darklight wrote:
    >
    >> how does mandriva 2007 compare to opensuse 10.2 64 bit versions
    >> reason for asking i am looking for a change

    > Your run-on sentence (question?) cannot be answered since you don't
    > provide enough information. "How does it compare" in what way? Looks,
    > performance, stability, what?
    >
    > Ever heard the phrase: "Garbage in, garbage out" ?

    ok the question is as you said performance, stability and ease of use

+ Reply to Thread