Lost Drakconf, Harddrak etc - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Lost Drakconf, Harddrak etc - Mandriva ; I used Kleansweep on my root file and low and behold Drakconf flashes itself on the screen and then disappears. The only files that I erased were broken symlinks, empty files, and orphaned files. As a matter of fact, I ...

  1. Lost Drakconf, Harddrak etc

    I used Kleansweep on my root file and low and behold Drakconf flashes
    itself on the screen and then disappears. The only files that I erased
    were broken symlinks, empty files, and orphaned files. As a matter of
    fact, I was getting a message, "This program closed prematurely" before
    I did any Spring cleaning. What should I do? As far as updates and the
    like I can use 'Smart' but I feel kind of like a duck out of water
    without Drakconf.

  2. Re: Lost Drakconf, Harddrak etc

    On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 12:42:37 -0400, Baldeagle wrote:

    > I used Kleansweep on my root file and low and behold Drakconf flashes
    > itself on the screen and then disappears. The only files that I erased

    In a console "su -" to become root. Then run
    "strace -f -F -ocmdout.txt drakconf"

    Look for any error messages displayed on the console. If there's nothing
    obvious there, look near the end of the file cmdout.txt, to see what it's
    trying to access, and failing.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Lost Drakconf, Harddrak etc

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 12:42:37 -0400, Baldeagle wrote:
    >
    >> I used Kleansweep on my root file and low and behold Drakconf flashes
    >> itself on the screen and then disappears. The only files that I erased

    > In a console "su -" to become root. Then run
    > "strace -f -F -ocmdout.txt drakconf"
    >
    > Look for any error messages displayed on the console. If there's nothing
    > obvious there, look near the end of the file cmdout.txt, to see what it's
    > trying to access, and failing.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Dave,
    I get:

    umovestr: Input/output error
    ptrace: umoven: Input/output error
    Missing usbtable (should be /usr/share/ldetect-lst/usbtable)

    I'm not sure what it means

  4. Re: Lost Drakconf, Harddrak etc

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:31:10 -0400, Baldeagle wrote:

    > umovestr: Input/output error
    > ptrace: umoven: Input/output error

    The above two errors are normal when using strace.

    > Missing usbtable (should be /usr/share/ldetect-lst/usbtable)

    That's part of the package ldetect-lst.
    Try running (as root)
    urpme --nodeps ldetect-lst
    urpmi ldetect-lst

    Then try drakconf again.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Lost Drakconf, Harddrak etc

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:31:10 -0400, Baldeagle wrote:
    >
    >> umovestr: Input/output error
    >> ptrace: umoven: Input/output error

    > The above two errors are normal when using strace.
    >
    >> Missing usbtable (should be /usr/share/ldetect-lst/usbtable)

    > That's part of the package ldetect-lst.
    > Try running (as root)
    > urpme --nodeps ldetect-lst
    > urpmi ldetect-lst
    >
    > Then try drakconf again.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Dave,
    Thanks,
    I tried your suggestion with:
    urpme --nodeps ldetect-lst
    Unknown option: nodeps
    [root@localhost phil]# urpmi ldetect-lst
    The package(s) are already installed

    The above was the response. Unfortunately the drakconf plack just
    flashed on like before and, as before, with no result

  6. Re: Lost Drakconf, Harddrak etc

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:02:54 -0400, Baldeagle wrote:

    > urpme --nodeps ldetect-lst
    > Unknown option: nodeps
    > [root@localhost phil]# urpmi ldetect-lst

    Sorry, my mistake. As root run
    rpm -e --noeps ldetect-lst
    urpmi ldetect-lst

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: Lost Drakconf, Harddrak etc

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:02:54 -0400, Baldeagle wrote:
    >
    >> urpme --nodeps ldetect-lst
    >> Unknown option: nodeps
    >> [root@localhost phil]# urpmi ldetect-lst

    > Sorry, my mistake. As root run
    > rpm -e --noeps ldetect-lst
    > urpmi ldetect-lst
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Well,
    [root@localhost phil]# rpm -e --noeps ldetect-lst
    --noeps: unknown option
    [root@localhost phil]# rpm -e --noeps ldetect-lst
    --noeps: unknown option
    [root@localhost phil]# urpmi ldetect-lst
    The package(s) are already installed
    ?

  8. Re: Lost Drakconf, Harddrak etc

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:02:54 -0400, Baldeagle wrote:
    >
    >> urpme --nodeps ldetect-lst
    >> Unknown option: nodeps
    >> [root@localhost phil]# urpmi ldetect-lst

    > Sorry, my mistake. As root run
    > rpm -e --noeps ldetect-lst
    > urpmi ldetect-lst
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    I found this also:
    [root@localhost phil]# rpm -e ldetect-lst
    error: Failed dependencies:
    ldetect-lst = 0.1.149 is needed by (installed)
    ldetect-lst-devel-0.1.149-1mdv2007.0.i586
    ldetect-lst is needed by (installed)
    libldetect0.6-0.6.5-1mdv2007.0.i586
    ldetect-lst >= 0.1.71 is needed by (installed)
    drakxtools-backend-10.4.81-2.2mdv2007.0.i586

  9. Re: Lost Drakconf, Harddrak etc

    Baldeagle wrote:
    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:02:54 -0400, Baldeagle wrote:
    >>
    >>> urpme --nodeps ldetect-lst
    >>> Unknown option: nodeps
    >>> [root@localhost phil]# urpmi ldetect-lst

    >> Sorry, my mistake. As root run
    >> rpm -e --noeps ldetect-lst
    >> urpmi ldetect-lst
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>

    > Well,
    > [root@localhost phil]# rpm -e --noeps ldetect-lst
    > --noeps: unknown option
    > [root@localhost phil]# rpm -e --noeps ldetect-lst
    > --noeps: unknown option
    > [root@localhost phil]# urpmi ldetect-lst
    > The package(s) are already installed
    > ?

    Think about it.

    First, David suggested 'urpme --nodeps', you tried that
    and found that the 'urpme' command does not understand '--nodeps'.

    Second, David suggested 'rpm -e' instead of 'urpme' with the
    same options ('--nodeps ldetect-lst').

    However, a simple typo was made and '--nodeps' was typed
    as '--noeps'.

    What will you try next ?

  10. Re: Lost Drakconf, Harddrak etc

    foo wrote:
    > Baldeagle wrote:
    >> David W. Hodgins wrote:

    >>> Sorry, my mistake. As root run
    >>> rpm -e --noeps ldetect-lst
    >>> urpmi ldetect-lst
    >>>
    >>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>>

    >> Well,
    >> [root@localhost phil]# rpm -e --noeps ldetect-lst
    >> --noeps: unknown option
    >> [root@localhost phil]# rpm -e --noeps ldetect-lst
    >> --noeps: unknown option
    >> [root@localhost phil]# urpmi ldetect-lst
    >> The package(s) are already installed
    >> ?

    > Think about it.
    >
    > First, David suggested 'urpme --nodeps', you tried that
    > and found that the 'urpme' command does not understand '--nodeps'.
    >
    > Second, David suggested 'rpm -e' instead of 'urpme' with the
    > same options ('--nodeps ldetect-lst').
    >
    > However, a simple typo was made and '--nodeps' was typed
    > as '--noeps'.
    >
    > What will you try next ?

    Dear foo,
    Who's foo?
    Do you know what to do?
    Love,
    Baldeagle

  11. Re: Lost Drakconf, Harddrak etc

    Baldeagle wrote:
    > foo wrote:
    >> Baldeagle wrote:

    >>> Well,
    >>> [root@localhost phil]# rpm -e --noeps ldetect-lst
    >>> --noeps: unknown option
    >>> [root@localhost phil]# rpm -e --noeps ldetect-lst
    >>> --noeps: unknown option
    >>> [root@localhost phil]# urpmi ldetect-lst
    >>> The package(s) are already installed
    >>> ?

    >> Think about it.
    >>
    >> First, David suggested 'urpme --nodeps', you tried that
    >> and found that the 'urpme' command does not understand '--nodeps'.
    >>
    >> Second, David suggested 'rpm -e' instead of 'urpme' with the
    >> same options ('--nodeps ldetect-lst').
    >>
    >> However, a simple typo was made and '--nodeps' was typed
    >> as '--noeps'.
    >>
    >> What will you try next ?

    > Dear foo,
    > Who's foo?
    > Do you know what to do?
    > Love,
    > Baldeagle

    I guess you don't want to think about it.

    Do what David suggested, but without the typo.

    rpm -e --nodeps ldetect-lst
    urpmi ldetect-lst

    The '--nodeps' is short for "no dependencies", this
    is used because of the message you saw saying "Failed
    dependencies" when you tried to 'rpm -e ldetect-lst'.

    What David has asked you to do is remove then reinstall
    the ldetect-lst package, because when you ran strace it
    showed a missing file from the ldetect-lst package.

  12. Re: Lost Drakconf, Harddrak etc

    foo wrote:
    > Baldeagle wrote:
    >> David W. Hodgins wrote:

    >>> Sorry, my mistake. As root run
    >>> rpm -e --noeps ldetect-lst
    >>> urpmi ldetect-lst
    >>>
    >>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>>

    >> Well,
    >> [root@localhost phil]# rpm -e --noeps ldetect-lst
    >> --noeps: unknown option
    >> [root@localhost phil]# rpm -e --noeps ldetect-lst
    >> --noeps: unknown option
    >> [root@localhost phil]# urpmi ldetect-lst
    >> The package(s) are already installed
    >> ?

    > Think about it.
    >
    > First, David suggested 'urpme --nodeps', you tried that
    > and found that the 'urpme' command does not understand '--nodeps'.
    >
    > Second, David suggested 'rpm -e' instead of 'urpme' with the
    > same options ('--nodeps ldetect-lst').
    >
    > However, a simple typo was made and '--nodeps' was typed
    > as '--noeps'.
    >
    > What will you try next ?

    Dear foo (again),
    Guess what,
    I reread your note and low and behold, when seeing Good Dave's
    instructions without the typo as you pointed out...
    IT'S ALIVE!!!
    I wish you and Good Dave were here to see it;
    the torches and pitch forks pon the bridge,
    the growls, the snarls, the gnashing of teeth,
    Oh joyous eve!!

    Many thanks,
    Baldeagle

  13. Re: Lost Drakconf, Harddrak etc

    Baldeagle wrote:
    > foo wrote:
    >> Baldeagle wrote:

    >>> Well,
    >>> [root@localhost phil]# rpm -e --noeps ldetect-lst
    >>> --noeps: unknown option
    >>> [root@localhost phil]# rpm -e --noeps ldetect-lst
    >>> --noeps: unknown option
    >>> [root@localhost phil]# urpmi ldetect-lst
    >>> The package(s) are already installed
    >>> ?

    >> Think about it.
    >>
    >> First, David suggested 'urpme --nodeps', you tried that
    >> and found that the 'urpme' command does not understand '--nodeps'.
    >>
    >> Second, David suggested 'rpm -e' instead of 'urpme' with the
    >> same options ('--nodeps ldetect-lst').
    >>
    >> However, a simple typo was made and '--nodeps' was typed
    >> as '--noeps'.
    >>
    >> What will you try next ?

    > Dear foo (again),
    > Guess what,
    > I reread your note and low and behold, when seeing Good Dave's
    > instructions without the typo as you pointed out...
    > IT'S ALIVE!!!
    > I wish you and Good Dave were here to see it;
    > the torches and pitch forks pon the bridge,
    > the growls, the snarls, the gnashing of teeth,
    > Oh joyous eve!!
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Baldeagle

    Don't thank me, Dave Hodgins resolved this.

  14. Re: Lost Drakconf, Harddrak etc

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:02:54 -0400, Baldeagle wrote:
    >
    >> urpme --nodeps ldetect-lst
    >> Unknown option: nodeps
    >> [root@localhost phil]# urpmi ldetect-lst

    > Sorry, my mistake. As root run
    > rpm -e --noeps ldetect-lst
    > urpmi ldetect-lst
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    I read 'good foo's' interjection and, with your help, the problem is
    solved. As you can see in my extra note I did "rpm -e ldetect-lst" and
    got that I was missing a file, something you apparently had already
    intuited. I only wish I would spend more time learning Linux. By the
    way, when I looked through the Smart program to see if all the
    dependencies were in order. There was no ldetect-lst missing, if
    rpm -e --nodeps ldetect-lst
    uprmi ldetect-lst
    All the way through, my machine was saying it was already loaded, or at
    least that's what I read.

    Many thanks and a fuller and more theatrical thanks is under "foo's" note.
    Yours,
    Baldeagle

  15. Re: Lost Drakconf, Harddrak etc

    On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 06:44:29 -0400, Baldeagle wrote:

    > I reread your note and low and behold, when seeing Good Dave's
    > instructions without the typo as you pointed out...
    > IT'S ALIVE!!!

    LOL! Sorry about the type. Glad it's sorted out.

    For future,
    man rpm
    man urpmi
    will show you what the valid options are for each of those
    commands, and provide some information on what each does.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins