Konq - Ignores Home Page Setting - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Konq - Ignores Home Page Setting - Mandriva ; Why does Konq ignore the home page setting and open up with crap I don't want? Other than the Behavior setting, which does nothing, how do I get it to pay attention? -- Blinky RLU 297263 Killing all posts from ...

  1. Konq - Ignores Home Page Setting

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  2. Re: Konq - Ignores Home Page Setting

    On 14 Apr 2007 04:53:27 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Why does Konq ignore the home page setting and open up with crap I don't
    > want? Other than the Behavior setting, which does nothing, how do I get
    > it to pay attention?

    Go to settings --> save view profile "webbrowsing" when you have your
    desired homepage in view. When you start konq it will start up with the
    pages shown. Konq starts up with google in one tab and my homepage in
    another tab for me. I don't normally use konq for web browsing, it tries
    to do too many things for my tastes. A screw up in settings in one mode
    can screw up settings for the other modes.

    Cheers,
    Goph

    --
    Google is your friend LRU# 195835
    http://www.google.com

  3. Re: Konq - Ignores Home Page Setting

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 00:53:27 -0400, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Why does Konq ignore the home page setting and open up with crap I don't
    > want? Other than the Behavior setting, which does nothing, how do I get
    > it to pay attention?

    Open konqueror and change to the directory you want as a default.
    Select Settings, Save 'View Profile "File Management".
    Select both "Save URLs in profile", and "Save window size in profile"

    Next time you open konqueror, that's the directory/window size it will
    use.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Konq - Ignores Home Page Setting

    Gopher wrote:
    > On 14 Apr 2007 04:53:27 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Why does Konq ignore the home page setting and open up with crap I
    >> don't want? Other than the Behavior setting, which does nothing, how
    >> do I get it to pay attention?
    >>

    > Go to settings --> save view profile "webbrowsing" when you have your
    > desired homepage in view. When you start konq it will start up with
    > the pages shown.

    I've done that. Several times. Because that's logical and intuitive.
    It doesn't work. And yes, I'm running it with the

    --profile webbrowsing

    switch.

    Either opens with a blank or opens with KDE/Mdk.

    Doesn't matter if I've saved the profile with URLs or not.

    When I look in Settings/Behavior the proper start page is configured.
    But that's apparently irrelevant. It's been set there all night, and
    it's never happened.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  5. Re: Konq - Ignores Home Page Setting

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 00:53:27 -0400, Blinky the Shark
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Why does Konq ignore the home page setting and open up with crap I
    >> don't want? Other than the Behavior setting, which does nothing, how
    >> do I get it to pay attention?

    > Open konqueror and change to the directory you want as a default.
    > Select Settings, Save 'View Profile "File Management". Select both
    > "Save URLs in profile", and "Save window size in profile"
    >
    > Next time you open konqueror, that's the directory/window size it will
    > use.

    I'm not using it for file management for that instance. I'm using it as
    --profile webbrowsing . I go to http://blinkynet.net, where I wish it
    to open. I save it (as webbrowsing profile).

    That said, I've done all that you (and Gopher) suggest. Many times.
    Doesn't matter. Won't open to that URL. And yes, it does show in the
    start page field in Settings/Behavior, which would be the logical place
    for it to open anyway. Still doesn't.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  6. Re: Konq - Ignores Home Page Setting

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Gopher wrote:
    >> On 14 Apr 2007 04:53:27 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>> Why does Konq ignore the home page setting and open up with crap I
    >>> don't want? Other than the Behavior setting, which does nothing, how
    >>> do I get it to pay attention?
    >>>

    >> Go to settings --> save view profile "webbrowsing" when you have your
    >> desired homepage in view. When you start konq it will start up with
    >> the pages shown.

    > I've done that. Several times. Because that's logical and intuitive.
    > It doesn't work. And yes, I'm running it with the
    >
    > --profile webbrowsing
    >
    > switch.
    >
    > Either opens with a blank or opens with KDE/Mdk.
    >
    > Doesn't matter if I've saved the profile with URLs or not.

    When I do 'konqueror --profile webbrowsing', go to http://whatever
    and "Settings" - "Save View Profile "Web Browsing"...", the page
    konqueror was pointed at (http://whatever) becomes the start page
    for the Web Browsing profile.

    > When I look in Settings/Behavior the proper start page is configured.
    > But that's apparently irrelevant. It's been set there all night, and
    > it's never happened.

    I don't have "Settings/Behavior", different konqueror versions I guess.

    $ konqueror -v
    Qt: 3.3.6
    KDE: 3.5.4
    Konqueror: 3.5.4

    What I do have is "~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/webbrowsing" and
    it contains "ViewT0_URL=http://whatever".

  7. Re: Konq - Ignores Home Page Setting

    foo wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Gopher wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> Go to settings --> save view profile "webbrowsing" when you have your
    >>> desired homepage in view. When you start konq it will start up with
    >>> the pages shown.

    >> I've done that. Several times. Because that's logical and intuitive.
    >> It doesn't work. And yes, I'm running it with the
    >>
    >> --profile webbrowsing
    >>
    >> switch.
    >>
    >> Either opens with a blank or opens with KDE/Mdk.
    >>
    >> Doesn't matter if I've saved the profile with URLs or not.

    > When I do 'konqueror --profile webbrowsing', go to http://whatever
    > and "Settings" - "Save View Profile "Web Browsing"...", the page
    > konqueror was pointed at (http://whatever) becomes the start page
    > for the Web Browsing profile.

    Yes, as I said, I've done all that. Plenty of times.

    >> When I look in Settings/Behavior the proper start page is configured.
    >> But that's apparently irrelevant. It's been set there all night, and
    >> it's never happened.

    > I don't have "Settings/Behavior", different konqueror versions I guess.

    Actually, it's Settings/ConfigureKonqueror/Behavior.

    > $ konqueror -v
    > Qt: 3.3.6
    > KDE: 3.5.4
    > Konqueror: 3.5.4

    Qt: 3.3.4
    KDE: 3.4.2
    Konqueror: 3.4.2

    > What I do have is "~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/webbrowsing" and
    > it contains "ViewT0_URL=http://whatever".

    Whole file here is:

    -------------->%---------------------------------

    [Main Window Settings Toolbar Speech Toolbar]
    IconText=IconOnly
    Index=4

    [Main Window Settings Toolbar bookmarkToolBar]
    IconText=IconTextRight
    Index=3

    [Main Window Settings Toolbar extraToolBar]
    IconText=IconOnly
    Index=0

    [Main Window Settings Toolbar locationToolBar]
    IconText=IconOnly
    Index=2

    [Main Window Settings Toolbar mainToolBar]
    Index=1

    [Profile]
    FullScreen=false
    Height=480
    Name=Web Browsing
    RootItem=Tabs0
    Tabs0_Children=ViewT0
    Tabs0_activeChildIndex=0
    ViewT0_LinkedView=false
    ViewT0_LockedLocation=false
    ViewT0_PassiveMode=false
    ViewT0_ServiceName=khtml
    ViewT0_ServiceType=text/html
    ViewT0_ToggleView=false
    Width=700
    XMLUIFile=konqueror.rc
    home/blinky/.kde/share/apps/konqueror

    --------------->%--------------------------------

    And that's with http://blinkynet.net set in the GUI config system.

    And it *does* appear in that box after I close and reopen Konq; it's
    just that Konq doesn't seem to care.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  8. Re: Konq - Ignores Home Page Setting

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> When I do 'konqueror --profile webbrowsing', go to http://whatever
    >> and "Settings" - "Save View Profile "Web Browsing"...", the page
    >> konqueror was pointed at (http://whatever) becomes the start page
    >> for the Web Browsing profile.

    > Yes, as I said, I've done all that. Plenty of times.
    >

    >> I don't have "Settings/Behavior", different konqueror versions I guess.

    > Actually, it's Settings/ConfigureKonqueror/Behavior.

    OK, on my system that page is titled "You can configure how Konqueror
    behaves as a file manager here". I would think "file manager" is relevant.

    >> What I do have is "~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/webbrowsing" and
    >> it contains "ViewT0_URL=http://whatever".

    > Whole file here is:

    Why not read between the lines and add the following to your webbrowsing profile :

    ViewT0_URL=http://blinkynet.net

    On an older version (3.2.0) that would be 'View0_URL=http://blinkynet.net'.

    Konqueror may be having trouble parsing your profiles/webbrowsing if what you
    posted is accurate, and that may be why is doesn't save any changes.
    Try removing the last line of what you posted if it exists in the file.
    Go crazy and remove the webbrowsing file completely, then try again.

  9. Re: Konq - Ignores Home Page Setting

    foo wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>> When I do 'konqueror --profile webbrowsing', go to http://whatever
    >>> and "Settings" - "Save View Profile "Web Browsing"...", the page
    >>> konqueror was pointed at (http://whatever) becomes the start page
    >>> for the Web Browsing profile.

    >> Yes, as I said, I've done all that. Plenty of times.
    >>

    >>> I don't have "Settings/Behavior", different konqueror versions I guess.

    >> Actually, it's Settings/ConfigureKonqueror/Behavior.
    >>

    > OK, on my system that page is titled "You can configure how Konqueror
    > behaves as a file manager here". I would think "file manager" is relevant.
    >

    >>> What I do have is "~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/webbrowsing" and
    >>> it contains "ViewT0_URL=http://whatever".

    >> Whole file here is:
    >>

    > Why not read between the lines and add the following to your webbrowsing profile :

    I did *read* between the lines, but I wanted to hear your reaction before
    I added new ones to my file.

    > ViewT0_URL=http://blinkynet.net
    >
    > On an older version (3.2.0) that would be 'View0_URL=http://blinkynet.net'.
    >
    > Konqueror may be having trouble parsing your profiles/webbrowsing if what you
    > posted is accurate, and that may be why is doesn't save any changes.
    > Try removing the last line of what you posted if it exists in the file.
    > Go crazy and remove the webbrowsing file completely, then try again.

    I think I'll do just that, and see if a fresh start does the job.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  10. Re: Konq - Ignores Home Page Setting

    foo wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>> When I do 'konqueror --profile webbrowsing', go to http://whatever
    >>> and "Settings" - "Save View Profile "Web Browsing"...", the page
    >>> konqueror was pointed at (http://whatever) becomes the start page
    >>> for the Web Browsing profile.

    >> Yes, as I said, I've done all that. Plenty of times.
    >>

    >>> I don't have "Settings/Behavior", different konqueror versions I guess.

    >> Actually, it's Settings/ConfigureKonqueror/Behavior.
    >>

    > OK, on my system that page is titled "You can configure how Konqueror
    > behaves as a file manager here". I would think "file manager" is relevant.
    >

    >>> What I do have is "~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/webbrowsing" and
    >>> it contains "ViewT0_URL=http://whatever".

    >> Whole file here is:
    >>

    > Why not read between the lines and add the following to your webbrowsing profile :
    >
    > ViewT0_URL=http://blinkynet.net
    >
    > On an older version (3.2.0) that would be 'View0_URL=http://blinkynet.net'.
    >
    > Konqueror may be having trouble parsing your profiles/webbrowsing if what you
    > posted is accurate, and that may be why is doesn't save any changes.
    > Try removing the last line of what you posted if it exists in the file.
    > Go crazy and remove the webbrowsing file completely, then try again.

    --------------> Second Response <----------------------

    I grabbed copies of all of the profiles from a backup and copied them
    into that directory. That copy of webbrowsing did have the correct line
    and it works fine.

    Thanks for pointing out that/those files.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  11. Re: Konq - Ignores Home Page Setting

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> Why not read between the lines and add the following to your webbrowsing profile :
    >>
    >> ViewT0_URL=http://blinkynet.net
    >>
    >> On an older version (3.2.0) that would be 'View0_URL=http://blinkynet.net'.
    >>
    >> Konqueror may be having trouble parsing your profiles/webbrowsing if what you
    >> posted is accurate, and that may be why is doesn't save any changes.
    >> Try removing the last line of what you posted if it exists in the file.
    >> Go crazy and remove the webbrowsing file completely, then try again.

    > --------------> Second Response <----------------------
    >
    > I grabbed copies of all of the profiles from a backup and copied them
    > into that directory. That copy of webbrowsing did have the correct line
    > and it works fine.
    >
    > Thanks for pointing out that/those files.

    Your welcome.

    You know the funny thing, your signature points a web page that links
    to another page about "lamers". On that "lamers" page the Wikipedia
    section says "the term has come to describe some one who is intentionally
    ignorant of how things work".

    No offense intended, I just found it amusing.

  12. Re: Konq - Ignores Home Page Setting

    foo wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Why not read between the lines and add the following to your webbrowsing profile :
    >>>
    >>> ViewT0_URL=http://blinkynet.net
    >>>
    >>> On an older version (3.2.0) that would be 'View0_URL=http://blinkynet.net'.
    >>>
    >>> Konqueror may be having trouble parsing your profiles/webbrowsing if what you
    >>> posted is accurate, and that may be why is doesn't save any changes.
    >>> Try removing the last line of what you posted if it exists in the file.
    >>> Go crazy and remove the webbrowsing file completely, then try again.

    >> --------------> Second Response <----------------------
    >>
    >> I grabbed copies of all of the profiles from a backup and copied them
    >> into that directory. That copy of webbrowsing did have the correct line
    >> and it works fine.
    >>
    >> Thanks for pointing out that/those files.

    > Your welcome.
    >
    > You know the funny thing, your signature points a web page that links
    > to another page about "lamers". On that "lamers" page the Wikipedia
    > section says "the term has come to describe some one who is intentionally
    > ignorant of how things work".
    >
    > No offense intended, I just found it amusing.

    Apparently we have differing opinions on what "intentionally ignorant of
    how things work".

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  13. Re: Konq - Ignores Home Page Setting

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:32:39 +1000, foo wrote:

    > Why not read between the lines and add the following to your webbrowsing profile :
    >
    > ViewT0_URL=http://blinkynet.net
    >
    > On an older version (3.2.0) that would be 'View0_URL=http://blinkynet.net'.

    ....._URL=http://blinkynet.net/ in _both_ cases.

    Jonesy