Re-installing Open office - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Re-installing Open office - Mandriva ; I'm running Mandriva 2007 on an emachines 64 bit Celeron. I've had Mandriva 2007 installed for over 6 months now. A month or two back Open Office started performing poorly so today I deleted all the file and directory references ...

  1. Re-installing Open office

    I'm running Mandriva 2007 on an emachines 64 bit Celeron. I've had Mandriva
    2007 installed for over 6 months now. A month or two back Open Office started
    performing poorly so today I deleted all the file and directory references to
    open office or "ooo" that I could find thru "locate" (after updating)

    But when I attempt to re-install Open Office, I get the error message:

    "There was a problem during the installation: file /usr/bin/soffice from
    install of openoffice.org-2.0.4-2.1mdv2007.0 conflicts with file from package
    openoffice.org-mandriva-menus-2.1/5"

    I have deleted soffice, which makes me think the rpm program is checking some
    registry or other tracking file. Anybody know what file that might be? Or is
    there another solution to this?

    Thanx for any help.

    Jack

  2. Re: Re-installing Open office

    Jack wrote:

    > I'm running Mandriva 2007 on an emachines 64 bit Celeron. I've had
    > Mandriva
    > 2007 installed for over 6 months now. A month or two back Open Office
    > started performing poorly so today I deleted all the file and directory
    > references to open office or "ooo" that I could find thru "locate" (after
    > updating)
    >
    > But when I attempt to re-install Open Office, I get the error message:
    >
    > "There was a problem during the installation: file /usr/bin/soffice from
    > install of openoffice.org-2.0.4-2.1mdv2007.0 conflicts with file from
    > package openoffice.org-mandriva-menus-2.1/5"
    >
    > I have deleted soffice, which makes me think the rpm program is checking
    > some
    > registry or other tracking file. Anybody know what file that might be?
    > Or is there another solution to this?
    >
    > Thanx for any help.
    >
    > Jack

    u could install it this way

    open a console, su to root and then type in

    urpmi (the name of your program ) --allow-force

    this should put it in for u.

    --
    Love is all u need.

  3. Re: Re-installing Open office

    Jack writes:

    >I'm running Mandriva 2007 on an emachines 64 bit Celeron. I've had Mandriva
    >2007 installed for over 6 months now. A month or two back Open Office started
    >performing poorly so today I deleted all the file and directory references to
    >open office or "ooo" that I could find thru "locate" (after updating)

    >But when I attempt to re-install Open Office, I get the error message:

    >"There was a problem during the installation: file /usr/bin/soffice from
    >install of openoffice.org-2.0.4-2.1mdv2007.0 conflicts with file from package
    >openoffice.org-mandriva-menus-2.1/5"

    >I have deleted soffice, which makes me think the rpm program is checking some
    >registry or other tracking file. Anybody know what file that might be? Or is
    >there another solution to this?

    Of course. HOw do you think urpmi/rpm figures out the files there are? It
    is a database. They do not search the whole disk each time they
    install/uninstall.

    You remove an rpm using rpm -e or urpme. You do NOT simply go in and rm
    files.

    rpm -qa|grep ooffice

    Then remove those.
    rpm -e
    all of those files, all on the same command line.

    >Thanx for any help.

    > Jack

  4. Re: Re-installing Open office

    Unruh wrote:
    > rpm -qa|grep ooffice

    I don't get any results with the above command. Do you, Bill?
    I get results with
    rpm -qa | grep openoffice.org

  5. Re: Re-installing Open office

    "Scott B." writes:

    >Unruh wrote:
    >> rpm -qa|grep ooffice

    >I don't get any results with the above command. Do you, Bill?
    >I get results with
    >rpm -qa | grep openoffice.org

    OK, I obviously forgot what the package name was.

  6. Re: Re-installing Open office

    Thanks guys. I tried all your suggestions and they gave me enough of a hint
    that I seem to have been able to get OO going again.

    Jack

  7. Re: Re-installing Open office

    Jack wrote:
    > I seem to have been able to get OO going again.

    This is for future reference so that you might avoid problems. As
    Bill Unruh suggested, it is best to use the Mandriva tools to
    uninstall software. The same advice applies for installing software.
    The Mandriva tools allow the computer to keep track of changes.

    The easiest way to install/uninstall software is to use the Mandriva
    GUI. I am still using Mandriva 2006 (I will install Mandriva 2007
    soon) with KDE, but the basics are probably very similar for 2007.
    Star button -> System -> Configuration -> Packaging -> etc.

    If you need to set up your software sources, the easiest way to do
    that is to utilize EasyUrpmi:
    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

    The Mandriva GUI tools use commands that are available at a shell
    prompt... mainly urpmi(install) and urpme(uninstall).

    You could also (from a shell prompt) use rpm commands; those commands
    are not Mandriva tools, and a goal for urpm is to make packaging
    tasks easier, but rpm commands should work just fine. The difference
    is that the Mandriva tools try to resolve dependency issues.

  8. Re: Re-installing Open office

    Jack wrote:

    > Thanks guys. I tried all your suggestions and they gave me enough of a
    > hint that I seem to have been able to get OO going again.
    >
    > Jack

    may the source be with u , Jack.

    --
    Love is all u need.