Calibrating Clock - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Calibrating Clock - Mandriva ; Under Mandrake 10.1, if I wanted to calibrate my clock, I'd right click on the clock, select Adjust Time, enter my root password, the clock setting screen would open, I could select a time server, click OK (or Apply, whichever) ...

  1. Calibrating Clock

    Under Mandrake 10.1, if I wanted to calibrate my clock, I'd right click
    on the clock, select Adjust Time, enter my root password, the clock
    setting screen would open, I could select a time server, click OK (or
    Apply, whichever) and my clock would be calibrated.

    Under Mandriva 2007, the situation is basically the same until I try to
    select a time server. I can select my Area (Melbourne, Victoria), tick
    the "Set date and Time automatically" box, select one of a very limited
    range of ntp servers (oceania), press Apply and I get an error message
    "Unable to contact time server: oceania.pool.ntp.org" All the servers
    give same result.

    What am I doing wrong??

    TIA

    Daniel

  2. Re: Calibrating Clock

    Daniel writes:

    >Under Mandrake 10.1, if I wanted to calibrate my clock, I'd right click
    >on the clock, select Adjust Time, enter my root password, the clock
    >setting screen would open, I could select a time server, click OK (or
    >Apply, whichever) and my clock would be calibrated.

    >Under Mandriva 2007, the situation is basically the same until I try to
    >select a time server. I can select my Area (Melbourne, Victoria), tick
    >the "Set date and Time automatically" box, select one of a very limited
    >range of ntp servers (oceania), press Apply and I get an error message
    >"Unable to contact time server: oceania.pool.ntp.org" All the servers
    >give same result.

    >What am I doing wrong??

    And we would know that how?
    firewall preventing ntp outgoing or incoming?
    No network connection?

  3. Re: Calibrating Clock

    Daniel wrote:

    > Under Mandrake 10.1, if I wanted to calibrate my clock, I'd right click
    > on the clock, select Adjust Time, enter my root password, the clock
    > setting screen would open, I could select a time server, click OK (or
    > Apply, whichever) and my clock would be calibrated.
    >
    > Under Mandriva 2007, the situation is basically the same until I try to
    > select a time server. I can select my Area (Melbourne, Victoria), tick
    > the "Set date and Time automatically" box, select one of a very limited
    > range of ntp servers (oceania), press Apply and I get an error message
    > "Unable to contact time server: oceania.pool.ntp.org" All the servers
    > give same result.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong??
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Daniel

    Maybe the server list isn't correct.

    I'm in Sydney & I've actually set up a daily cron job to set the time each
    day.

    In the /etc/cron.daily directory I just added this little job:

    #!/bin/sh

    ntpdate -b 0.au.pool.ntp.org

    exit 0

    I haven't yet had it fail since I set it up a couple of months ago.

    --
    Nothing's Too Sacred - http://scott2096.blogspot.com/
    Soar Like An Eagle - http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/seaeagle/

  4. Re: Calibrating Clock

    Unruh wrote:
    > Daniel writes:
    >
    >> Under Mandrake 10.1, if I wanted to calibrate my clock, I'd right click
    >> on the clock, select Adjust Time, enter my root password, the clock
    >> setting screen would open, I could select a time server, click OK (or
    >> Apply, whichever) and my clock would be calibrated.

    >> Under Mandriva 2007, the situation is basically the same until I try to
    >> select a time server. I can select my Area (Melbourne, Victoria), tick
    >> the "Set date and Time automatically" box, select one of a very limited
    >> range of ntp servers (oceania), press Apply and I get an error message
    >> "Unable to contact time server: oceania.pool.ntp.org" All the servers
    >> give same result.

    >> What am I doing wrong??

    > And we would know that how?
    > firewall preventing ntp outgoing or incoming?
    > No network connection?

    No firewall, but have network connection so I can post these messages.

    I was trying to sync my clock as I wrote the message, so I could get the
    messages correct, so I did have a connection.

    Tks.

    Daniel

  5. Re: Calibrating Clock

    Sea Eagle wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> Under Mandrake 10.1, if I wanted to calibrate my clock, I'd right click
    >> on the clock, select Adjust Time, enter my root password, the clock
    >> setting screen would open, I could select a time server, click OK (or
    >> Apply, whichever) and my clock would be calibrated.
    >>
    >> Under Mandriva 2007, the situation is basically the same until I try to
    >> select a time server. I can select my Area (Melbourne, Victoria), tick
    >> the "Set date and Time automatically" box, select one of a very limited
    >> range of ntp servers (oceania), press Apply and I get an error message
    >> "Unable to contact time server: oceania.pool.ntp.org" All the servers
    >> give same result.
    >>
    >> What am I doing wrong??
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Daniel
    >>

    > Maybe the server list isn't correct.
    >
    > I'm in Sydney & I've actually set up a daily cron job to set the time each
    > day.
    >
    > In the /etc/cron.daily directory I just added this little job:
    >

    > #!/bin/sh
    >
    > ntpdate -b 0.au.pool.ntp.org
    >
    > exit 0
    >

    > I haven't yet had it fail since I set it up a couple of months ago.

    Sea Eagle, I'm on dial up, so is this going to effect the operation of
    your cron job, i.e. would it need to be connected to the net at a
    particular time of day, or does it just operate the first time a net
    connection is made each day?

    Daniel

  6. Re: Calibrating Clock

    On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:02:14 +1000, Daniel wrote:

    > Under Mandrake 10.1, if I wanted to calibrate my clock, I'd right click
    > on the clock, select Adjust Time, enter my root password, the clock
    > setting screen would open, I could select a time server, click OK (or
    > Apply, whichever) and my clock would be calibrated.
    >
    > Under Mandriva 2007, the situation is basically the same until I try to
    > select a time server. I can select my Area (Melbourne, Victoria), tick
    > the "Set date and Time automatically" box, select one of a very limited
    > range of ntp servers (oceania), press Apply and I get an error message
    > "Unable to contact time server: oceania.pool.ntp.org" All the servers
    > give same result.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong??
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Daniel

    There is something funky with Mandrive 07 and time servers. If you go
    through the clock and choose one, that is different from the path through
    the configure system. I'm not sure which is better or proper. But one
    works better than the other. Or appears to. How are you getting to the
    clock setting screen?

  7. Re: Calibrating Clock

    Daniel wrote:

    [snip]
    > Under Mandriva 2007, the situation is basically the same until I try to
    > select a time server. I can select my Area (Melbourne, Victoria), tick
    > the "Set date and Time automatically" box, select one of a very limited
    > range of ntp servers (oceania), press Apply and I get an error message
    > "Unable to contact time server: oceania.pool.ntp.org" All the servers
    > give same result.

    [snip]

    It works for me. I am using 2007.0 and I live in Melbourne.
    I'm using a different time server: au.pool.ntp.org, which I
    selected during installation.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  8. Re: Calibrating Clock

    Daniel wrote:

    >> I'm in Sydney & I've actually set up a daily cron job to set the time
    >> each day.
    >>
    >> In the /etc/cron.daily directory I just added this little job:
    >>

    >> #!/bin/sh
    >>
    >> ntpdate -b 0.au.pool.ntp.org
    >>
    >> exit 0
    >>

    >> I haven't yet had it fail since I set it up a couple of months ago.
    >>

    > Sea Eagle, I'm on dial up, so is this going to effect the operation of
    > your cron job, i.e. would it need to be connected to the net at a
    > particular time of day, or does it just operate the first time a net
    > connection is made each day?
    >
    > Daniel

    I'm on dial-up too, but my ISP has no time limit. So when the daily jobs are
    run, I'm usually online. If my PC is on at 4am, then I am sitting up too
    late. If it's off at 4am, I use Anacron, so the daily job runs 5 minutes
    after my next boot-up. I've usually dialed in by then. If I haven't, it
    just has to wait until the next time I am on-line & the daily task is run.

    Of course, you could just run the script I provided manually after you log
    on each day.

    That's about all I can suggest.

    Cheers.

    --
    Nothing's Too Sacred - http://scott2096.blogspot.com/
    Soar Like An Eagle - http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/seaeagle/
    Sea Eagle's Free Wallpapers - http://tinyurl.com/24vhcz
    Registered Linux User # 384081 http://counter.li.org/

  9. Re: Calibrating Clock

    Daniel writes:

    >Unruh wrote:
    >> Daniel writes:
    >>
    >>> Under Mandrake 10.1, if I wanted to calibrate my clock, I'd right click
    >>> on the clock, select Adjust Time, enter my root password, the clock
    >>> setting screen would open, I could select a time server, click OK (or
    >>> Apply, whichever) and my clock would be calibrated.

    >>> Under Mandriva 2007, the situation is basically the same until I try to
    >>> select a time server. I can select my Area (Melbourne, Victoria), tick
    >>> the "Set date and Time automatically" box, select one of a very limited
    >>> range of ntp servers (oceania), press Apply and I get an error message
    >>> "Unable to contact time server: oceania.pool.ntp.org" All the servers
    >>> give same result.

    >>> What am I doing wrong??

    >> And we would know that how?
    >> firewall preventing ntp outgoing or incoming?
    >> No network connection?
    >>

    >No firewall, but have network connection so I can post these messages.

    Most firewalls will let out things like netnews and http connections, but
    could still block ntp. It could be a firewall on your system or on your
    ISPs system.
    Mine for example blocks prot 25, the mail port.

    >I was trying to sync my clock as I wrote the message, so I could get the
    >messages correct, so I did have a connection.

    >Tks.

    >Daniel

    >--

  10. Re: Calibrating Clock

    dnoyeB wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:02:14 +1000, Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> Under Mandrake 10.1, if I wanted to calibrate my clock, I'd right click
    >> on the clock, select Adjust Time, enter my root password, the clock
    >> setting screen would open, I could select a time server, click OK (or
    >> Apply, whichever) and my clock would be calibrated.
    >>
    >> Under Mandriva 2007, the situation is basically the same until I try to
    >> select a time server. I can select my Area (Melbourne, Victoria), tick
    >> the "Set date and Time automatically" box, select one of a very limited
    >> range of ntp servers (oceania), press Apply and I get an error message
    >> "Unable to contact time server: oceania.pool.ntp.org" All the servers
    >> give same result.
    >>
    >> What am I doing wrong??
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Daniel
    >>

    > There is something funky with Mandrive 07 and time servers. If you go
    > through the clock and choose one, that is different from the path through
    > the configure system. I'm not sure which is better or proper. But one
    > works better than the other. Or appears to. How are you getting to the
    > clock setting screen?

    Right clicking on the clock and selecting "Adjust Date & Time". But that
    then requires me to enter my root password, so wouldn't it be the same??

    Just went in through the MCC direct and it does seem to have adjusted
    the time. I'll check it again tomorrow.

    Daniel

  11. Re: Calibrating Clock

    Peter D. wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >

    > [snip]
    >> Under Mandriva 2007, the situation is basically the same until I try to
    >> select a time server. I can select my Area (Melbourne, Victoria), tick
    >> the "Set date and Time automatically" box, select one of a very limited
    >> range of ntp servers (oceania), press Apply and I get an error message
    >> "Unable to contact time server: oceania.pool.ntp.org" All the servers
    >> give same result.

    > [snip]
    >
    > It works for me. I am using 2007.0 and I live in Melbourne.
    > I'm using a different time server: au.pool.ntp.org, which I
    > selected during installation.

    How do you actually use it? Right clicking on the clock didn't seem to
    work for me....now trying starting up MCC and doing it there.

    Daniel

  12. Re: Calibrating Clock

    Daniel wrote:

    > Peter D. wrote:
    >> Daniel wrote:
    >>

    >> [snip]
    >>> Under Mandriva 2007, the situation is basically the same until I try to
    >>> select a time server. I can select my Area (Melbourne, Victoria), tick
    >>> the "Set date and Time automatically" box, select one of a very limited
    >>> range of ntp servers (oceania), press Apply and I get an error message
    >>> "Unable to contact time server: oceania.pool.ntp.org" All the servers
    >>> give same result.

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> It works for me. I am using 2007.0 and I live in Melbourne.
    >> I'm using a different time server: au.pool.ntp.org, which I
    >> selected during installation.
    >>

    > How do you actually use it? Right clicking on the clock didn't seem to
    > work for me....now trying starting up MCC and doing it there.

    There is a daemon running in the background that occasionally
    contacts the selected server(s) and updates the file /etc/ntp/drift
    No user intervention required.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.