Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Cannot get Java working

    On 2007-04-15, Daniel wrote:
    > dnoyeB wrote:
    >>
    >> did you search google groups?

    > No, I use my newsreader and log onto news.teranews.com
    >
    > Daniel

    I think it was a partly-rhetorical question

    Lordy

  2. Re: Cannot get Java working

    lordy wrote:
    > On 2007-04-15, Daniel wrote:
    >> dnoyeB wrote:
    >>> did you search google groups?

    >> No, I use my newsreader and log onto news.teranews.com
    >>
    >> Daniel

    > I think it was a partly-rhetorical question
    >
    > Lordy

    Well, I took it as a genuine question.

    I logged on to Google groups and found the article, thanks, Aardvark.
    Checking it out.

    Daniel

  3. Re: Cannot get Java working

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2007-04-15, Daniel wrote:
    >> Whiskers wrote:

    > snip
    >
    >> Thanks for that! Using Aardvarks instructions there, I made a symlink
    >> for Firefox to Java, but I still cannot get out onto the net using
    >> Firefox or Konqueror, so I guess I have to look at the possibility of a
    >> firewall stopping outside access.
    >>
    >> A problem for another day.

    > You are clearly getting out on the net using Seamonkey, so I don't think
    > it's likely that a firewall is blocking web browsers as such, and Linux
    > doesn't usually control web surfing by specifying which programs can do
    > it. A 'proxy server' setting is more likely; if your ISP requires that
    > you use their proxy, then you'll have to make sure that all the browsers
    > you want to use are set up to use that proxy. None of that has anything to
    > do with Java, of course )

    Right, seems I'm just using one problem to find another problem.

    My ISP has me download the proxy settings from a page on his server so
    SeaMonkey, Firefox and Konqueror are all set to the location. Why SM
    works but the others don't ????

    Is it possible that whilst I have SM online, so using that proxy server
    settings page, I'm not allowed to use a second browser to access that page??

    Thats crazy, SM would just go to the page to get the settings, install
    them, then release the page, so the other should be able go there as
    well.....but then if SM goes and gets the setting, do the others need to
    re-get the setting, if the SM session is still open??

    So many questions.....do I really know what I'm doing???

    Daniel

  4. Re: Cannot get Java working

    On 2007-04-17, Daniel wrote:
    > lordy wrote:
    >>> No, I use my newsreader and log onto news.teranews.com
    >>>
    >>> Daniel

    >> I think it was a partly-rhetorical question
    >>
    >> Lordy

    > Well, I took it as a genuine question.
    >
    > I logged on to Google groups and found the article, thanks, Aardvark.
    > Checking it out.

    Yup. That was the required effect

    Lordy

  5. Re: Cannot get Java working

    On 2007-04-17, Daniel wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:

    snip

    > My ISP has me download the proxy settings from a page on his server so
    > SeaMonkey, Firefox and Konqueror are all set to the location. Why SM
    > works but the others don't ????
    >
    > Is it possible that whilst I have SM online, so using that proxy server
    > settings page, I'm not allowed to use a second browser to access that page??
    >
    > Thats crazy, SM would just go to the page to get the settings, install
    > them, then release the page, so the other should be able go there as
    > well.....but then if SM goes and gets the setting, do the others need to
    > re-get the setting, if the SM session is still open??
    >
    > So many questions.....do I really know what I'm doing???

    I'm not sure I understand what you are describing.

    Can you discover the 'proxy server settings' required by your ISP, and
    make them manually in each of the programs you want to use them (or
    globally for your entire system - see the settings possible in 'Configure
    your computer - Network and Internet - Set up a proxy server for files and
    web browsing')?

    I would not expect a 'page' on the ISP's server to be able to 'set'
    anything on a Linux system. There may be an 'executable' of some sort
    intended to make the proxy settings for Windows systems, at least for the
    commonly-found Windows web-aware programs, but that would have no effect
    on a Linux system. Your ISP should be able to tell you the settings that
    can be made manually; the information is probably somewhere in the 'help'
    or 'FAQ' on their web site.

    You are able to use the 'newsreader' part of Seamonkey to post to the
    Terranews news-server; that does not involve any web-server proxy settings
    which your ISP may require for web-browsing. Can you browse the web using
    Seamonkey?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  6. Re: Cannot get Java working

    On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:45:16 +1000, Daniel wrote:

    > Well, I took it as a genuine question.
    >
    > I logged on to Google groups and found the article, thanks, Aardvark.
    > Checking it out.
    >
    > Daniel

    You don't have to log onto google groups. You just search them. From the
    google homepage click the "more" link, and it will open a page to let you
    search a certain group.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2