having trouble logging in - Mandriva

This is a discussion on having trouble logging in - Mandriva ; I turned on my computer today, to find that I couldn't login at all, I was able to ssh into the system from another system and login to change the dm reboot and try agane, that got me in as ...

  1. having trouble logging in

    I turned on my computer today, to find that I couldn't login at all, I
    was able to ssh into the system from another system and login to change
    the dm reboot and try agane, that got me in as my regular user but
    didn't fix the hole problem.

    when I try to log in as root or do anything that needs root access I get
    errors, could not open session when I try to su root.

    kicked back to the login prompt when I try to log in as any user from
    the console.

    what could be wrong??????

  2. Re: having trouble logging in

    chris gareau wrote:
    > I turned on my computer today, to find that I couldn't login at all, I
    > was able to ssh into the system from another system and login to change
    > the dm reboot and try agane, that got me in as my regular user but
    > didn't fix the hole problem.
    >
    > when I try to log in as root or do anything that needs root access I get
    > errors, could not open session when I try to su root.
    >
    > kicked back to the login prompt when I try to log in as any user from
    > the console.
    >
    > what could be wrong??????

    ok I booted from the trk and scaned the file system for errors, it found
    and fixed them, then I rebooted no help, I tried reseting the root and
    diehard passwords, using chroot and passwd from the trk, no help.

    I can log in using kdm but not gdm, and not at the console.

    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I am out of ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. Re: having trouble logging in

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:28:24 -0400, chris gareau wrote:

    >> what could be wrong??????

    > ok I booted from the trk and scaned the file system for errors, it found

    If this is an ext2 or ext3 filesystem, check the directory /lost+found
    for any files you recognize.

    If your system has filesystem corruption, due to a hard reset,
    it may be best to to a reinstall, and then turn off hard drive
    write caching.

    > and fixed them, then I rebooted no help, I tried reseting the root and
    > diehard passwords, using chroot and passwd from the trk, no help.
    > I can log in using kdm but not gdm, and not at the console.
    > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    > I am out of ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Is mingetty running? It should be started by /etc/inittab having lines like
    1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1

    Also check cat /etc/securetty shows ...
    tty1
    vc/1
    tty2
    vc/2
    tty3
    vc/3
    tty4
    vc/4
    tty5
    vc/5
    tty6
    vc/6

    More info needed, such as exact actions/error messages.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: having trouble logging in

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:28:24 -0400, chris gareau wrote:
    >
    >>> what could be wrong??????

    >> ok I booted from the trk and scaned the file system for errors, it found

    > If this is an ext2 or ext3 filesystem, check the directory /lost+found
    > for any files you recognize.
    >
    > If your system has filesystem corruption, due to a hard reset,
    > it may be best to to a reinstall, and then turn off hard drive
    > write caching.
    >
    >> and fixed them, then I rebooted no help, I tried reseting the root and
    >> diehard passwords, using chroot and passwd from the trk, no help.
    >> I can log in using kdm but not gdm, and not at the console.
    >> HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >> I am out of ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!

    > Is mingetty running? It should be started by /etc/inittab having lines like
    > 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
    >
    > Also check cat /etc/securetty shows ...
    > tty1
    > vc/1
    > tty2
    > vc/2
    > tty3
    > vc/3
    > tty4
    > vc/4
    > tty5
    > vc/5
    > tty6
    > vc/6
    >
    > More info needed, such as exact actions/error messages.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    nothing I recognise

    yes mingetty is running, I can cs but I just get kicked back to the
    login prompt when I try to log in as anubody.

    I can't tell what is saies to me when I log in but I think it is the
    same as when I try to su

    [diehard@diehardp4 ~]$ su root
    Password:
    could not open session
    [diehard@diehardp4 ~]$

    I am backing up everything I can to my laptop in prep for a reinstall
    but would like to avoide a reinstall if posible.

  5. Re: having trouble logging in

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 18:07:13 -0400, chris gareau wrote:

    Check # cat /etc/securetty shows ...
    tty1
    vc/1
    tty2
    vc/2
    tty3
    vc/3
    tty4
    vc/4
    tty5
    vc/5
    tty6
    vc/6

    Check # grep root /etc/passwd
    root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

    Check # grep root /etc/group
    root:x:0:

    Run passwd to update the roots password (again, if already done).

    Run pwconv and grpconv to update the shadow files.

    Check # cat /etc/pam.d/login shows ...
    #%PAM-1.0
    auth required pam_securetty.so
    auth required pam_nologin.so
    auth include system-auth
    account include system-auth
    password include system-auth
    session optional pam_console.so
    session include system-auth

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: having trouble logging in

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 18:07:13 -0400, chris gareau wrote:
    >
    > Check # cat /etc/securetty shows ...
    > tty1
    > vc/1
    > tty2
    > vc/2
    > tty3
    > vc/3
    > tty4
    > vc/4
    > tty5
    > vc/5
    > tty6
    > vc/6
    >
    > Check # grep root /etc/passwd
    > root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
    >
    > Check # grep root /etc/group
    > root:x:0:
    >
    > Run passwd to update the roots password (again, if already done).
    >
    > Run pwconv and grpconv to update the shadow files.
    >
    > Check # cat /etc/pam.d/login shows ...
    > #%PAM-1.0
    > auth required pam_securetty.so
    > auth required pam_nologin.so
    > auth include system-auth
    > account include system-auth
    > password include system-auth
    > session optional pam_console.so
    > session include system-auth
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    ok did all that everything normal but still can't su to root or login
    ans anybody at the console

  7. Re: having trouble logging in

    chris gareau writes:

    >chris gareau wrote:
    >> I turned on my computer today, to find that I couldn't login at all, I
    >> was able to ssh into the system from another system and login to change
    >> the dm reboot and try agane, that got me in as my regular user but
    >> didn't fix the hole problem.
    >>
    >> when I try to log in as root or do anything that needs root access I get
    >> errors, could not open session when I try to su root.
    >>
    >> kicked back to the login prompt when I try to log in as any user from
    >> the console.
    >>
    >> what could be wrong??????

    >ok I booted from the trk and scaned the file system for errors, it found
    >and fixed them, then I rebooted no help, I tried reseting the root and
    >diehard passwords, using chroot and passwd from the trk, no help.

    >I can log in using kdm but not gdm, and not at the console.

    >HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    >I am out of ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Full filesystem.
    /etc/password is corrupted ( eg a blank line near the start of the file)
    /etc/shadow corrupted.
    partitions not mounted that should be.

  8. Re: having trouble logging in

    chris gareau wrote:

    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 18:07:13 -0400, chris gareau wrote:
    >>
    >> Check # cat /etc/securetty shows ...
    >> tty1
    >> vc/1
    >> tty2
    >> vc/2
    >> tty3
    >> vc/3
    >> tty4
    >> vc/4
    >> tty5
    >> vc/5
    >> tty6
    >> vc/6
    >>
    >> Check # grep root /etc/passwd
    >> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
    >>
    >> Check # grep root /etc/group
    >> root:x:0:
    >>
    >> Run passwd to update the roots password (again, if already done).
    >>
    >> Run pwconv and grpconv to update the shadow files.
    >>
    >> Check # cat /etc/pam.d/login shows ...
    >> #%PAM-1.0
    >> auth required pam_securetty.so
    >> auth required pam_nologin.so
    >> auth include system-auth
    >> account include system-auth
    >> password include system-auth
    >> session optional pam_console.so
    >> session include system-auth
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>

    > ok did all that everything normal but still can't su to root or login
    > ans anybody at the console

    well thanx for all the help, but a reinstall was unavoidable.

    this time I am pouting the /home in a hole other partition so I don't
    have to go threw all the work of copying off all the stuff from the
    computer to an other 1.

    thanx anyway

  9. Re: having trouble logging in

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 20:38:01 -0400, chris gareau wrote:

    > well thanx for all the help, but a reinstall was unavoidable.
    > this time I am pouting the /home in a hole other partition so I don't
    > have to go threw all the work of copying off all the stuff from the
    > computer to an other 1.

    I expected that was going to be the end result. When you get filesystem
    corruption, there are just too many files to check/restore.

    I strongly suggest turning off hard drive write caching, to reduce
    the likelyhood of corruption from a hard reset.
    Add
    hdparm -W 0 /dev/hda
    to /etc/rc.local, for each of your hard drives.

    Running hdparm -I /dev/hda will then show you the status of the drive.
    Under the Commands/features, there should not be an asterisk beside
    the Write Cache.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  10. Re: having trouble logging in

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 20:38:01 -0400, chris gareau wrote:
    >
    >> well thanx for all the help, but a reinstall was unavoidable.
    >> this time I am pouting the /home in a hole other partition so I don't
    >> have to go threw all the work of copying off all the stuff from the
    >> computer to an other 1.

    > I expected that was going to be the end result. When you get filesystem
    > corruption, there are just too many files to check/restore.
    >
    > I strongly suggest turning off hard drive write caching, to reduce
    > the likelyhood of corruption from a hard reset.
    > Add
    > hdparm -W 0 /dev/hda
    > to /etc/rc.local, for each of your hard drives.
    >
    > Running hdparm -I /dev/hda will then show you the status of the drive.
    > Under the Commands/features, there should not be an asterisk beside
    > the Write Cache.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    thanx I will look into it, alteast when I am doing crazy things.

+ Reply to Thread