ANY distribution on Acer Aspire 5610 - touchpad :-( - Mandriva

This is a discussion on ANY distribution on Acer Aspire 5610 - touchpad :-( - Mandriva ; OK at first I tried Mandriva. It worked. Some time. Then the Synaptics touchpad decided not to do so anymore and even when I tried to make a new clean install, it didn't come back. Damnit. I really liked Mandriva. ...

  1. ANY distribution on Acer Aspire 5610 - touchpad :-(

    OK at first I tried Mandriva. It worked. Some time. Then the Synaptics
    touchpad decided not to do so anymore and even when I tried to make a
    new clean install, it didn't come back. Damnit. I really liked
    Mandriva. And I really do not understand how came that it worked with
    the first install but after this never again. Inbetween I formatted
    the harddisk, of course.

    So I tried ubuntu, but there's the same problem. No mouse.

    Does anyone of you have the same problem with this Aspire 5610? I am
    really sick of it.

    Thanks Chris.

  2. Re: ANY distribution on Acer Aspire 5610 - touchpad :-(

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 03:09:06 -0700, Christian Drewing wrote:

    > OK at first I tried Mandriva. It worked. Some time. Then the Synaptics
    > touchpad decided not to do so anymore and even when I tried to make a
    > new clean install, it didn't come back. Damnit. I really liked
    > Mandriva. And I really do not understand how came that it worked with
    > the first install but after this never again. Inbetween I formatted
    > the harddisk, of course.
    >
    > So I tried ubuntu, but there's the same problem. No mouse.
    >
    > Does anyone of you have the same problem with this Aspire 5610? I am
    > really sick of it.
    >
    > Thanks Chris.

    Didn't you disabled the touchpad ?
    fn + F7

    --
    Panic, chaos & disorder, my work here is done
    http://beginnerslinux.org

  3. Re: ANY distribution on Acer Aspire 5610 - touchpad :-(

    On 11 Apr., 12:53, repo wrote:

    > Didn't you disabled the touchpad ?
    > fn + F7
    >
    > --
    > Panic, chaos & disorder, my work here is donehttp://beginnerslinux.org

    AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

    1st: THANK YOU.
    2nd: this f****g touchpad costed me 10 installs, 3 distributions and
    alsmost 2 days behind my XPrunning computer on google, usenet, irc and
    wiki.

    Some sort of "check the printer cable connection" thing.
    Hope I made you a funny day ;-) And I should better RTFM!

    Thanks a lot.
    Chris.

  4. Re: ANY distribution on Acer Aspire 5610 - touchpad :-(

    "Christian Drewing" wrote in message
    news:1176289279.994333.88270@n59g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...
    > On 11 Apr., 12:53, repo wrote:
    >
    >> Didn't you disabled the touchpad ?
    >> fn + F7
    >>
    >> --
    >> Panic, chaos & disorder, my work here is donehttp://beginnerslinux.org

    > AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
    >

    > 1st: THANK YOU.
    > 2nd: this f****g touchpad costed me 10 installs, 3 distributions and
    > alsmost 2 days behind my XPrunning computer on google, usenet, irc and
    > wiki.
    >
    > Some sort of "check the printer cable connection" thing.
    > Hope I made you a funny day ;-) And I should better RTFM!
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    > Chris.

    Please let us know how this works.
    I have an Acer aspire 5100, likely the same touchpad.
    The machine is back at Acer getting the touchpad fixed, and I want to put
    mandriva on when it comes back.

    The reference to disabling the touchpad has me wondering. Is the message
    here that there is no driver for the touchpad? That it is necessary to use a
    usb mouse?

    That touchpad problem was driving me crazy - a tap on the screen or a lift
    click was always interpreted as a right click, even with a restore from disk
    or running the knoppix live cd.

    Stuart

  5. Re: ANY distribution on Acer Aspire 5610 - touchpad :-(

    Stuart Miller wrote:

    > Please let us know how this works.
    > I have an Acer aspire 5100, likely the same touchpad.
    > The machine is back at Acer getting the touchpad fixed, and I want to put
    > mandriva on when it comes back.
    >
    > The reference to disabling the touchpad has me wondering. Is the message
    > here that there is no driver for the touchpad? That it is necessary to use
    > a usb mouse?

    I have an Acer Aspire 1690 and the touchpad works as it should with MD 2007
    official.

  6. Re: ANY distribution on Acer Aspire 5610 - touchpad :-(

    On 2007-04-11, Stuart Miller wrote:

    > "Christian Drewing" wrote in message
    > news:1176289279.994333.88270@n59g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...
    >> On 11 Apr., 12:53, repo wrote:
    >>
    >>> Didn't you disabled the touchpad ?
    >>> fn + F7
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Panic, chaos & disorder, my work here is donehttp://beginnerslinux.org

    >> AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
    >>

    >> 1st: THANK YOU.
    >> 2nd: this f****g touchpad costed me 10 installs, 3 distributions and
    >> alsmost 2 days behind my XPrunning computer on google, usenet, irc and
    >> wiki.
    >>
    >> Some sort of "check the printer cable connection" thing.
    >> Hope I made you a funny day ;-) And I should better RTFM!
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot.
    >> Chris.
    >>

    > Please let us know how this works.
    > I have an Acer aspire 5100, likely the same touchpad.
    > The machine is back at Acer getting the touchpad fixed, and I want to put
    > mandriva on when it comes back.
    >
    > The reference to disabling the touchpad has me wondering. Is the message
    > here that there is no driver for the touchpad? That it is necessary to use a
    > usb mouse?

    I interpret the exhange

    >>> Didn't you disabled the touchpad ?
    >>> fn + F7

    >> AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
    >>

    >> 1st: THANK YOU.

    [...]

    >> Hope I made you a funny day ;-) And I should better RTFM!

    as meaning that Christian Drewing had indeed used the special keyboard
    command on his laptop, to disable the touchpad, and that he un-disabled it
    and found it to be working again, when reminded by repo.

    > That touchpad problem was driving me crazy - a tap on the screen or a lift
    > click was always interpreted as a right click, even with a restore from disk
    > or running the knoppix live cd.
    >
    > Stuart

    With those symptoms I think I'd have looked at the 'mouse' settings and
    the identification of the touchpad to make sure I was using the correct
    driver and configuration, before assuming a hardware fault. But hardware
    faults do happen.

    The touchpads and pointing devices on laptops usually work OK with Linux,
    although sometimes you need to tweak things or install propritary drivers
    to get all the 'special features' working.

    --
    -- Whiskers

+ Reply to Thread