Reinstalling GRUB in dual-boot configuration - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Reinstalling GRUB in dual-boot configuration - Mandriva ; I need to repair a Windows partition on a dual-boot Windows XP Pro/Mandriva 2007 laptop with no floppy drive. The Mandriva partition is working fine now. In the repair process Windows is likely to replace GRUB with the Windows bootloader. ...

  1. Reinstalling GRUB in dual-boot configuration

    I need to repair a Windows partition on a dual-boot Windows XP
    Pro/Mandriva 2007 laptop with no floppy drive. The Mandriva partition is
    working fine now. In the repair process Windows is likely to replace GRUB
    with the Windows bootloader. I was thinking it would be wise to back up my
    /boot/grub/menu.lst to a flash drive before starting to repair anything.

    Does the Rescue mode in the Mandriva installation DVD re-install GRUB, or
    is only LILO available?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Reinstalling GRUB in dual-boot configuration

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:39:15 -0500, Musical1too musician wrote:
    > I need to repair a Windows partition on a dual-boot Windows XP
    > Pro/Mandriva 2007 laptop with no floppy drive. The Mandriva partition is
    > working fine now. In the repair process Windows is likely to replace GRUB
    > with the Windows bootloader. I was thinking it would be wise to back up my
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst to a flash drive before starting to repair anything.
    >
    > Does the Rescue mode in the Mandriva installation DVD re-install GRUB, or
    > is only LILO available?

    If nothing else boot cd/dvd to console
    mkdir /junk
    mount -t auto /dev/XdYZ /junk
    chroot junk
    and use the boot loader of your choice.

    --------- standard search tip follows ---------------------

    Please bookmark the following, very large,
    Frequently Asked Questions (faq) Search engine:

    key word(s) in the first box
    *linux* in Newsgroup box. You need to use the two
    asterisks around linux, pick English

    If you want/need more control over the first box search,
    http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html

    --------- end standard search tip text ---------------------

  3. Re: Reinstalling GRUB in dual-boot configuration

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:39:15 -0500, Musical1too musician wrote:

    > I need to repair a Windows partition on a dual-boot Windows XP
    > Pro/Mandriva 2007 laptop with no floppy drive. The Mandriva partition is
    > working fine now. In the repair process Windows is likely to replace GRUB
    > with the Windows bootloader. I was thinking it would be wise to back up my
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst to a flash drive before starting to repair anything.
    >
    > Does the Rescue mode in the Mandriva installation DVD re-install GRUB, or
    > is only LILO available?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Easier to simply save the boot record with dd and then boot a Live CD and
    restore it after MS is done messing around.

+ Reply to Thread