What journaling FS do you use? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on What journaling FS do you use? - Mandriva ; Out of curiosity. I switched to ReiserFS a year or so ago. But I've lost a bit of confidence in it recently. I haven't had any system crashes or power failures, but two partitions had weird orphaned files or undeletable ...

  1. What journaling FS do you use?

    Out of curiosity. I switched to ReiserFS a year or so ago. But I've lost
    a bit of confidence in it recently. I haven't had any system crashes or
    power failures, but two partitions had weird orphaned files or
    undeletable files in them recently.

    I've (almost) switched back to ext3 which is slower but more
    conservative by default. Any speed gains I've had with ReiserFS were wiped
    out with troubleshooting OTOH some think ReiserFS is rock solid.

    Anyone tried XFS etc?

    Lordy

  2. Re: What journaling FS do you use?

    lordy wrote:
    > Out of curiosity. I switched to ReiserFS a year or so ago. But I've lost
    > a bit of confidence in it recently. I haven't had any system crashes or
    > power failures, but two partitions had weird orphaned files or
    > undeletable files in them recently.
    >
    > I've (almost) switched back to ext3 which is slower but more
    > conservative by default. Any speed gains I've had with ReiserFS were wiped
    > out with troubleshooting OTOH some think ReiserFS is rock solid.
    >
    > Anyone tried XFS etc?
    >
    > Lordy

    I have only used XFS for many many many years now, but I
    come from an Irix background (XFS is the Irix filesystem).
    (I believe MDK was the first to include XFS long before it was
    included into kernel.org)

    If you happen to have a system that is prone to hard lockups
    then you may find files full of NULL's after hitting the reset
    button. This was a design feature of XFS, better to have no
    data instead of wrong data (metadata committed before buffer
    cache flushed).

    Within the last few weeks or months perhaps, this has changed
    in XFS, the "file full of NULL's" is history. However I bet
    no distro (except SLES10 + service pack) includes this XFS change.

    PS. A speaker (from Intel) at a recent LinuxConf (in Australia)
    gave a presentation about filesystems, ext3 and XFS got high
    scores, all others were considered garbage, especially ReiserFS
    due to it's lack of ongoing support/fixes/advances.

  3. Re: What journaling FS do you use?

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:33:52 +1000, foo writ:

    > PS. A speaker (from Intel) at a recent LinuxConf (in Australia)
    > gave a presentation about filesystems, ext3 and XFS got high
    > scores, all others were considered garbage, especially ReiserFS due
    > to it's lack of ongoing support/fixes/advances.

    Little OT, but did anyone else notice this a few weeks back?

    http://www.wired.com/science/discove.../2007/03/72931

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·..·¯`·-> freemont© <-·¯`·..·¯

  4. Re: What journaling FS do you use?

    On 2007-04-10, freemont wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:33:52 +1000, foo writ:
    >
    >> PS. A speaker (from Intel) at a recent LinuxConf (in Australia)
    >> gave a presentation about filesystems, ext3 and XFS got high
    >> scores, all others were considered garbage, especially ReiserFS due
    >> to it's lack of ongoing support/fixes/advances.

    > Little OT, but did anyone else notice this a few weeks back?
    >
    > http://www.wired.com/science/discove.../2007/03/72931

    Not that article (... " His arrangement is set for March 23rd." Is that
    like flower-arrangement?). News of the accusation was mentioned in a few
    Linux-related places last year. There are plenty of links related to the
    case
    .

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  5. Re: What journaling FS do you use?

    Whiskers wrote:

    > " His arrangement is set for March 23rd." *Is that
    > like flower-arrangement?

    No, they mean arraignment.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arraignment

  6. Re: What journaling FS do you use?

    freemont wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:33:52 +1000, foo writ:
    >
    >> PS. A speaker (from Intel) at a recent LinuxConf (in Australia)
    >> gave a presentation about filesystems, ext3 and XFS got high
    >> scores, all others were considered garbage, especially ReiserFS due
    >> to it's lack of ongoing support/fixes/advances.

    > Little OT, but did anyone else notice this a few weeks back?
    >
    > http://www.wired.com/science/discove.../2007/03/72931

    ohh nooo!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread