Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything - Mandriva ; I just installed Mandriva 2007 and after I rebooted back in to it I cannot do the following: Firefox just loads into the top left corner, and I can't maximise it as there is no options to do so. Neither ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    I just installed Mandriva 2007 and after I rebooted back in to it I
    cannot do the following:
    Firefox just loads into the top left corner, and I can't maximise it as
    there is no options to do so. Neither can I drag the sidebar across to
    make it bigger.
    Also I can't do the same with any of the other applications as they seem
    to have a default loading position, either top left or bottom right.
    I have tried to make some changes in 'configure your computer' I think
    it was, by changing the window properties etc, but nothing happened.
    When Mandriva first loaded up I had 4 desktops on the taskbar, then when
    I rebooted I had 1, and tried to change it back again to 4, clicked on
    'Apply' but nothing happened again.

    When I loaded up Thunderbird to create a new email account, there was a
    default name in the text box, which I needed to change but I couldn't.
    It was like everything was disabled.

    Any solutions please?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    Bob H a écrit :
    > I just installed Mandriva 2007 and after I rebooted back in to it I
    > cannot do the following:
    > Firefox just loads into the top left corner, and I can't maximise it as
    > there is no options to do so. Neither can I drag the sidebar across to
    > make it bigger.
    > Also I can't do the same with any of the other applications as they seem
    > to have a default loading position, either top left or bottom right.
    > I have tried to make some changes in 'configure your computer' I think
    > it was, by changing the window properties etc, but nothing happened.
    > When Mandriva first loaded up I had 4 desktops on the taskbar, then when
    > I rebooted I had 1, and tried to change it back again to 4, clicked on
    > 'Apply' but nothing happened again.
    >
    > When I loaded up Thunderbird to create a new email account, there was a
    > default name in the text box, which I needed to change but I couldn't.
    > It was like everything was disabled.
    >
    > Any solutions please?
    >
    > Thanks

    You shouldn't use 3D desktop, these are known bugs of compiz setup.

  3. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    José Jorge wrote:
    > Bob H a écrit :
    >> I just installed Mandriva 2007 and after I rebooted back in to it I
    >> cannot do the following:
    >> Firefox just loads into the top left corner, and I can't maximise it
    >> as there is no options to do so. Neither can I drag the sidebar across
    >> to make it bigger.
    >> Also I can't do the same with any of the other applications as they
    >> seem to have a default loading position, either top left or bottom right.
    >> I have tried to make some changes in 'configure your computer' I think
    >> it was, by changing the window properties etc, but nothing happened.
    >> When Mandriva first loaded up I had 4 desktops on the taskbar, then
    >> when I rebooted I had 1, and tried to change it back again to 4,
    >> clicked on 'Apply' but nothing happened again.
    >>
    >> When I loaded up Thunderbird to create a new email account, there was
    >> a default name in the text box, which I needed to change but I
    >> couldn't. It was like everything was disabled.
    >>
    >> Any solutions please?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > You shouldn't use 3D desktop, these are known bugs of compiz setup.

    I wasn't aware I was using 3D desktop!
    So what can I do to be able to change things as I want?

  4. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    Bob H wrote:

    > José Jorge wrote:
    >> Bob H a écrit :
    >>> I just installed Mandriva 2007 and after I rebooted back in to it I
    >>> cannot do the following:
    >>> Firefox just loads into the top left corner, and I can't maximise it
    >>> as there is no options to do so. Neither can I drag the sidebar across
    >>> to make it bigger.
    >>> Also I can't do the same with any of the other applications as they
    >>> seem to have a default loading position, either top left or bottom
    >>> right. I have tried to make some changes in 'configure your computer' I
    >>> think it was, by changing the window properties etc, but nothing
    >>> happened. When Mandriva first loaded up I had 4 desktops on the taskbar,
    >>> then when I rebooted I had 1, and tried to change it back again to 4,
    >>> clicked on 'Apply' but nothing happened again.
    >>>
    >>> When I loaded up Thunderbird to create a new email account, there was
    >>> a default name in the text box, which I needed to change but I
    >>> couldn't. It was like everything was disabled.
    >>>
    >>> Any solutions please?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> You shouldn't use 3D desktop, these are known bugs of compiz setup.

    > I wasn't aware I was using 3D desktop!
    > So what can I do to be able to change things as I want?

    if in fact u are using 3d desktop u may be just be able to reboot and
    everything be alright.

    u can configure 3ddesktop my going into mandriva control center and to
    hardware and the 3d desktop. u can turn it off there. then just log out and
    back into your desktop.

    if u want to keep 3ddesktop u can click the box on metisse and in advanced u
    can use aiglx. that works for me. metisse is one of the options in the
    3ddesktop

  5. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 16:02:39 -0400, Bob H wrote:

    > I just installed Mandriva 2007 and after I rebooted back in to it I
    > cannot do the following:

    Have you applied all of the updates? See
    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.os...513c1e70d1da1?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 16:02:39 -0400, Bob H wrote:
    >
    >> I just installed Mandriva 2007 and after I rebooted back in to it I
    >> cannot do the following:

    > Have you applied all of the updates? See
    > http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.os...513c1e70d1da1?
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Not yet as I can't do anything much in Mandriva the way it is.
    I didn't have any updates previously when I installed it and could do
    most things, where as now I can't do much at all.

  7. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    patrick darcy wrote:
    > Bob H wrote:
    >
    >> José Jorge wrote:

    >>> You shouldn't use 3D desktop, these are known bugs of compiz setup.

    >> I wasn't aware I was using 3D desktop!
    >> So what can I do to be able to change things as I want?

    > if in fact u are using 3d desktop u may be just be able to reboot and
    > everything be alright.
    >
    > u can configure 3ddesktop my going into mandriva control center and to
    > hardware and the 3d desktop. u can turn it off there. then just log out and
    > back into your desktop.
    >
    > if u want to keep 3ddesktop u can click the box on metisse and in advanced u
    > can use aiglx. that works for me. metisse is one of the options in the
    > 3ddesktop

    How do I know if I am using 3d desktop?
    I tried to disabel something in configure your computer but it didn't
    make any difference.

  8. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:16:07 +0000, Bob H wrote:

    > How do I know if I am using 3d desktop?
    > I tried to disabel something in configure your computer but it didn't
    > make any difference.

    I'd recommend you just give up, right now. You are clearly not going to
    be able to ever use Linux. Just stick with Windoze, and be happy. Some
    people are just not smart enough to use anything else. It's OK.

  9. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:16:07 +0000, Bob H wrote:
    >
    >> How do I know if I am using 3d desktop?
    >> I tried to disabel something in configure your computer but it didn't
    >> make any difference.

    > I'd recommend you just give up, right now. You are clearly not going to
    > be able to ever use Linux. Just stick with Windoze, and be happy. Some
    > people are just not smart enough to use anything else. It's OK.

    Thanks for the words of encouragement, I will.

  10. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:06:12 +0000, Bob H wrote:

    >> I'd recommend you just give up, right now. You are clearly not going to
    >> be able to ever use Linux. Just stick with Windoze, and be happy. Some
    >> people are just not smart enough to use anything else. It's OK.

    > Thanks for the words of encouragement, I will.

    No problem. Buh-bye.

  11. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    On 2007-04-10, Bob H wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:16:07 +0000, Bob H wrote:
    >>
    >>> How do I know if I am using 3d desktop?
    >>> I tried to disabel something in configure your computer but it didn't
    >>> make any difference.

    >> I'd recommend you just give up, right now. You are clearly not going to
    >> be able to ever use Linux. Just stick with Windoze, and be happy. Some
    >> people are just not smart enough to use anything else. It's OK.
    >>

    > Thanks for the words of encouragement, I will.

    Hi Bob, please put "Dan C" in your killfile and forget he/it
    exists. Everyone who has been in this newsgroup more than a
    few days has already plonked "Dan C".

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  12. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:15:03 -0400, Bob H wrote:

    > Not yet as I can't do anything much in Mandriva the way it is.
    > I didn't have any updates previously when I installed it and could do
    > most things, where as now I can't do much at all.

    If you can get into a console under kde, or Gnome, run "sudo drak3d",
    and ensure "No 3d desktop effects" has been selected.

    Another thing that can cause problems, before the updates have been
    installed, is the icon theme selection, in kcontrol.
    Run the command kcontrol. Select Appearance & Themes, then Icons.
    Ensure the icon theme you have selected is anything other then
    iKons, KDE-Classic, or KDE-LoColor. Using any one of those three
    will cause rpmdrake to segfault.

    As a quick fix (after checking the icon theme), you could copy the
    appended file to /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg (after making a backup copy
    of the orignal file), and then run the updates as per the message
    from Bit Twister, that I linked to earlier.

    Note: this will only work if you are using the i586 architecture.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    {
    downloader: wget
    resume: 1
    retry: 30
    verify-rpm: 1
    wget-options: --timeout=300
    }

    main ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/m...a/main/release {
    hdlist: hdlist.main.cz
    key-ids: 70771ff3
    synthesis
    with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    }

    main_updates ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/m...a/main/updates {
    hdlist: hdlist.main_updates.cz
    key-ids: 22458a98
    synthesis
    update
    with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    }

    contrib ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/m...ontrib/release {
    hdlist: hdlist.contrib.cz
    synthesis
    with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    }

    contrib_updates ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/m...ontrib/updates {
    hdlist: hdlist.contrib_updates.cz
    key-ids: 26752624
    synthesis
    update
    with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    }

    plf-free ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_...se/binary/i586 {
    hdlist: hdlist.plf-free.cz
    key-ids: caba22ae
    synthesis
    with_hdlist: hdlist.cz
    }

    plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_...se/binary/i586 {
    hdlist: hdlist.plf-nonfree.cz
    key-ids: caba22ae
    synthesis
    with_hdlist: hdlist.cz
    }

  13. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > On 2007-04-10, Bob H wrote:
    >> Dan C wrote:

    >>> I'd recommend you just give up, right now. You are clearly not going to
    >>> be able to ever use Linux. Just stick with Windoze, and be happy. Some
    >>> people are just not smart enough to use anything else. It's OK.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the words of encouragement, I will.

    > Hi Bob, please put "Dan C" in your killfile and forget he/it
    > exists. Everyone who has been in this newsgroup more than a
    > few days has already plonked "Dan C".

    Yes I should have ignored him, I realise that.

    Actually I found that I am not using 3d desktop, because when I clicked
    on it, I was asked if I wanted to install some extra files, which I
    canceled.
    So apart from that I don't know why when I first loaded or booted into
    mandriva I had the option to maximise and move windows around, then on
    the subsequent reboot that option along with others, has suddenly gone.
    If I don't get that sorted I will just have to try a re install.

    Thanks

  14. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:15:03 -0400, Bob H wrote:
    >
    >> Not yet as I can't do anything much in Mandriva the way it is.
    >> I didn't have any updates previously when I installed it and could do
    >> most things, where as now I can't do much at all.

    > If you can get into a console under kde, or Gnome, run "sudo drak3d",
    > and ensure "No 3d desktop effects" has been selected.
    >
    > Another thing that can cause problems, before the updates have been
    > installed, is the icon theme selection, in kcontrol.
    > Run the command kcontrol. Select Appearance & Themes, then Icons.
    > Ensure the icon theme you have selected is anything other then
    > iKons, KDE-Classic, or KDE-LoColor. Using any one of those three
    > will cause rpmdrake to segfault.
    >
    > As a quick fix (after checking the icon theme), you could copy the
    > appended file to /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg (after making a backup copy
    > of the orignal file), and then run the updates as per the message
    > from Bit Twister, that I linked to earlier.
    >
    > Note: this will only work if you are using the i586 architecture.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >
    > {
    > downloader: wget
    > resume: 1
    > retry: 30
    > verify-rpm: 1
    > wget-options: --timeout=300
    > }
    >
    > main ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/m...a/main/release {
    > hdlist: hdlist.main.cz
    > key-ids: 70771ff3
    > synthesis
    > with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    > }
    >
    > main_updates ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/m...a/main/updates {
    > hdlist: hdlist.main_updates.cz
    > key-ids: 22458a98
    > synthesis
    > update
    > with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    > }
    >
    > contrib ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/m...ontrib/release {
    > hdlist: hdlist.contrib.cz
    > synthesis
    > with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    > }
    >
    > contrib_updates ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/m...ontrib/updates {
    > hdlist: hdlist.contrib_updates.cz
    > key-ids: 26752624
    > synthesis
    > update
    > with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    > }
    >
    > plf-free ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_...se/binary/i586 {
    > hdlist: hdlist.plf-free.cz
    > key-ids: caba22ae
    > synthesis
    > with_hdlist: hdlist.cz
    > }
    >
    > plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_...se/binary/i586 {
    > hdlist: hdlist.plf-nonfree.cz
    > key-ids: caba22ae
    > synthesis
    > with_hdlist: hdlist.cz
    > }

    Thanks for the links etc, but when I load up a console it is disabled! I
    cannot type anything in any consoles. The icon them selected is the
    first one in the list and is not any of those which you told me not to use.

  15. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > Everyone who has been in this newsgroup more than a
    > few days has already plonked "Dan C".

    That is a statement that cannot be proven to be true. "Dan C" is not
    in my scorefile, so I know that statement is untrue.

  16. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    On 2007-04-10, Scott B. wrote:
    > Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >> Everyone who has been in this newsgroup more than a
    >> few days has already plonked "Dan C".

    > That is a statement that cannot be proven to be true. "Dan C" is not
    > in my scorefile, so I know that statement is untrue.

    Okay, so there's one exception. 1/2 :-)

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  17. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    Bob H wrote:
    > I just installed Mandriva 2007

    Did you install it on the same box you had problems with about which
    you posted articles on April 4 and 5 to the newsgroup
    uk.comp.homebuilt?

    Did you verify the md5 checksums matched after you downloaded the
    Mandriva ISO images before you burned the CDs?

  18. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > Okay, so there's one exception. 1/2 :-)

    Here's a freebie for you: I suspect some of my previous employers
    have thought I might not be worth a sh**, but they still had to
    pay me. LOL

  19. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    On Tuesday 10 Apr 2007 20:36, Scott B. wrote:

    > That is a statement that cannot be proven to be true. "Dan C" is not
    > in my scorefile, so I know that statement is untrue.

    Seconded.

  20. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    Dan C wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:16:07 +0000, Bob H wrote:
    >
    >> How do I know if I am using 3d desktop?
    >> I tried to disabel something in configure your computer but it didn't
    >> make any difference.

    > I'd recommend you just give up, right now. You are clearly not going to
    > be able to ever use Linux. Just stick with Windoze, and be happy. Some
    > people are just not smart enough to use anything else. It's OK.

    be nice dan.

    in the mandriva control center or media center as it seems driva wants
    us to call it now go the place that says hardware then 3ddesktop.

    u can put a click on the box that says no 3ddesktop or u can click one of
    the 3d desktop versions. i use aiglx with metisse and that works for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast