Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything - Mandriva ; Bob H wrote: > Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote: >> On 2007-04-10, Bob H wrote: >>> Dan C wrote: >>>> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:16:07 +0000, Bob H wrote: >>>> >>>>> How do I know if I am using ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    Bob H wrote:

    > Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    >>> Thanks for the words of encouragement, I will.

    >> Hi Bob, please put "Dan C" in your killfile and forget he/it
    >> exists. Everyone who has been in this newsgroup more than a
    >> few days has already plonked "Dan C".
    >>

    > Yes I should have ignored him, I realise that.
    >
    > Actually I found that I am not using 3d desktop, because when I clicked
    > on it, I was asked if I wanted to install some extra files, which I
    > canceled.
    > So apart from that I don't know why when I first loaded or booted into
    > mandriva I had the option to maximise and move windows around, then on
    > the subsequent reboot that option along with others, has suddenly gone.
    > If I don't get that sorted I will just have to try a re install.
    >
    > Thanks

    u may want to just try another reboot.

  2. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    Scott B. wrote:
    > Bob H wrote:
    >> I just installed Mandriva 2007

    > Did you install it on the same box you had problems with about which
    > you posted articles on April 4 and 5 to the newsgroup
    > uk.comp.homebuilt?
    >
    > Did you verify the md5 checksums matched after you downloaded the
    > Mandriva ISO images before you burned the CDs?

    No, that is a very different box, and is stood near me awaiting a new PSU
    No I didn't need to verify the md5 checksums this time as I had already
    done so some time ago when I first downloaded mandriva, and then
    installed it. I removed it shortly afterwards due to certain people on
    this NG seemed to be passing certain remarks in my direction.
    I really wanted to prove that it was not my box at fault when I couldn't
    install Ubuntu as people in that NG seemed to think it was my
    motherboard and or chipset at fault.

    Anyway, I have re installed Mandriva now and all is well so far.

  3. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    Bob H wrote:
    > I have re installed Mandriva now and all is well so far.

    Your next step should be to install all the updates. There are quite
    a few.
    http://www.mandriva.com/security/advisories?dis=2007.0

    Set up your software sources using EasyURPMI.
    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

    After setting up your software sources, use a shell prompt (Konsole,
    for instance) to install updates (as root):
    # urpmi.update -a
    # urpmi --update --auto-select

  4. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:22:35 -0400, Bob H wrote:

    > Anyway, I have re installed Mandriva now and all is well so far.

    Have you been able to apply the updates yet?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Just installed Mandriva and can't change anything

    Scott B. wrote:
    > Bob H wrote:
    >> I have re installed Mandriva now and all is well so far.

    > Your next step should be to install all the updates. There are quite
    > a few.
    > http://www.mandriva.com/security/advisories?dis=2007.0
    >
    > Set up your software sources using EasyURPMI.
    > http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    >
    > After setting up your software sources, use a shell prompt (Konsole,
    > for instance) to install updates (as root):
    > # urpmi.update -a
    > # urpmi --update --auto-select

    Yes I have just done that thanks

+ Reply to Thread