Changed Root Filesystem - wont boot.. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Changed Root Filesystem - wont boot.. - Mandriva ; Hi all, I got fed up with Reiser's weird little corruptions every few months, and converted all journalled filesystems (incl / ) everything back to ext3. Now lilo still thinks my root is reiserfs and panics. I've changed /etc/fstab and ...

  1. Changed Root Filesystem - wont boot..

    Hi all,

    I got fed up with Reiser's weird little corruptions every few months, and
    converted all journalled filesystems (incl / ) everything back to ext3.

    Now lilo still thinks my root is reiserfs and panics. I've changed
    /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab.

    I guess I have to load a mandriva disc and re-install boot loader?

    But I didnt think this would be necessary? My /boot is on a seperate ext2
    partition. But I guess the problem is that it's mounted below '/', so Lilo
    needs to know in advance what FS is on root before it can get to /boot or
    /etc/fstab. Bit of a chicken & egg!

    Lordy

  2. Re: Changed Root Filesystem - wont boot..

    On 09 Apr 2007 16:25:04 GMT, Lordy wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I got fed up with Reiser's weird little corruptions every few months, and
    > converted all journalled filesystems (incl / ) everything back to ext3.
    >
    > Now lilo still thinks my root is reiserfs and panics. I've changed
    > /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab.
    >
    > I guess I have to load a mandriva disc and re-install boot loader?

    Yep. I just installed 2007.1 and noticed it could not find the correct
    loader/image for lilo on my multi-boot system in the Rescue mode.

    So I picked console
    mkdir /junk
    mount -t auto /dev/sda15 /junk
    chroot /junk
    lilo -v
    shutdown -r now
    exit
    exit

    Pop out DVD.

  3. Re: Changed Root Filesystem - wont boot..

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 12:25:04 -0400, Lordy wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I got fed up with Reiser's weird little corruptions every few months, and
    > converted all journalled filesystems (incl / ) everything back to ext3.

    Extracted from my latest article in the "Can't start Mandriva" thread ...

    I highly recommend turning off hard drive write caching, as the small
    performance gain, is greatly outweighed by the potential loss caused
    by a hard reset. I learned this the hard way. Even with a journalized
    file system, if the journal entries haven't been physically written
    to disk, when the kernel module assumes they have, you can lose entire
    file systems.

    I have the following in /etc/rc.d/rc.local ...
    hdparm -a 8 -d 1 -r 0 -k 1 -u 1 -m 16 -c 1 -A 1 -W 0 -S 240 /dev/hda
    hdparm -a 8 -d 1 -r 0 -k 1 -u 1 -m 16 -c 1 -A 1 -W 0 -S 240 /dev/hdb

    The above applies to ext3 the same as for reiserfs. I'm sticking with
    reiserfs, and haven't had any problems with file system corruption,
    since turning off the hard drive write caching, despite occasional
    power failures. I also prefer the much faster fsck, after a clean
    shutdown.

    > Now lilo still thinks my root is reiserfs and panics. I've changed
    > /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab.
    > I guess I have to load a mandriva disc and re-install boot loader?

    Yes, as Bit Twister has posted.

    > But I didnt think this would be necessary? My /boot is on a seperate ext2
    > partition. But I guess the problem is that it's mounted below '/', so Lilo
    > needs to know in advance what FS is on root before it can get to /boot or
    > /etc/fstab. Bit of a chicken & egg!

    Yes, I believe it needs access to /dev, /initrd, /etc, and /lib, at boot time.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Changed Root Filesystem - wont boot..

    On 2007-04-09, Lordy wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I got fed up with Reiser's weird little corruptions every few months, and
    > converted all journalled filesystems (incl / ) everything back to ext3.
    >
    > Now lilo still thinks my root is reiserfs and panics. I've changed
    > /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab.
    >
    > I guess I have to load a mandriva disc and re-install boot loader?
    >
    > But I didnt think this would be necessary? My /boot is on a seperate ext2
    > partition. But I guess the problem is that it's mounted below '/', so Lilo
    > needs to know in advance what FS is on root before it can get to /boot or
    > /etc/fstab. Bit of a chicken & egg!

    If I understand correctly, it is because Lilo is extremely
    primitive and stores raw block numbers to get the stuff from
    /boot it needs to boot up the kernel. If you make a change
    to the config file or move _anything_ around in /boot, you
    need to rerun the lilo program to update the MBR on where
    the files are, what the config file said, etc.

    The solution to that problem, IMNSHO, is to use Grub. If
    you have multiple operating systems installed, I would
    recomend a boot manager like SBM in the MBR with each
    installation's boot loader in its own partition.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  5. Re: Changed Root Filesystem - wont boot..

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    >On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 12:25:04 -0400, Lordy wrote:

    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I got fed up with Reiser's weird little corruptions every few months, and
    >> converted all journalled filesystems (incl / ) everything back to ext3.

    >Extracted from my latest article in the "Can't start Mandriva" thread ...

    >I highly recommend turning off hard drive write caching, as the small
    >performance gain, is greatly outweighed by the potential loss caused
    >by a hard reset. I learned this the hard way. Even with a journalized
    >file system, if the journal entries haven't been physically written
    >to disk, when the kernel module assumes they have, you can lose entire
    >file systems.

    >I have the following in /etc/rc.d/rc.local ...
    >hdparm -a 8 -d 1 -r 0 -k 1 -u 1 -m 16 -c 1 -A 1 -W 0 -S 240 /dev/hda
    >hdparm -a 8 -d 1 -r 0 -k 1 -u 1 -m 16 -c 1 -A 1 -W 0 -S 240 /dev/hdb

    While you may have this, you should also tell people that almost all of it
    is entirely irrelevant to what you are saying. You should tell them what
    all those options mean so that they do not screw up their own disks with
    inappropriate options and many are default. The only one of relevance is
    -W 0

    >The above applies to ext3 the same as for reiserfs. I'm sticking with
    >reiserfs, and haven't had any problems with file system corruption,
    >since turning off the hard drive write caching, despite occasional
    >power failures. I also prefer the much faster fsck, after a clean
    >shutdown.

    >> Now lilo still thinks my root is reiserfs and panics. I've changed
    >> /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab.
    >> I guess I have to load a mandriva disc and re-install boot loader?

    >Yes, as Bit Twister has posted.

    >> But I didnt think this would be necessary? My /boot is on a seperate ext2
    >> partition. But I guess the problem is that it's mounted below '/', so Lilo
    >> needs to know in advance what FS is on root before it can get to /boot or
    >> /etc/fstab. Bit of a chicken & egg!

    >Yes, I believe it needs access to /dev, /initrd, /etc, and /lib, at boot time.

    The kernel is loaded from /boot, which is hard coded into the MBR. It known
    nothing about filesystems, just reading sectors from the disk using the
    bios. Thus lilo does not need to know anything about filesystems to load
    the kernel. The kernel then needs to know so it can mount /.
    Did you rerun lilo after you had changed everything?

    >Regards, Dave Hodgins

    >--
    >Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    >(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    >use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  6. Re: Changed Root Filesystem - wont boot..

    Lordy wrote in

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I got fed up with Reiser's weird little corruptions every few months,
    > and converted all journalled filesystems (incl / ) everything back to
    > ext3.
    >
    > Now lilo still thinks my root is reiserfs and panics. I've changed
    > /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab.
    >
    > I guess I have to load a mandriva disc and re-install boot loader?

    I re-installed the boot loader. Which recognised my new root as ext3,
    but when I rebooted there is still something that thinks its Reiser and
    creates a panic...

    The boot console says

    Trying yo resume from /dev/sda8
    No suspend signature on swap, not resuming.
    Mounting root filesystem /dev/root with flags notail

    Whatever does that last line is the cause of my problem. This is not in
    /etc/fstab not /etc/mtab. The rescue disk (and knoppix) can mount my
    file heirachy just fine and know that the root is ext3 (as it is in
    /etc/fstab).

    Some other file in lilo gubbings still thinks it's reiser??

    Any ideas?

    Lordy

  7. Re: Changed Root Filesystem - wont boot..

    Bit Twister wrote in

    > On 09 Apr 2007 16:25:04 GMT, Lordy wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I got fed up with Reiser's weird little corruptions every few months,
    >> and converted all journalled filesystems (incl / ) everything back to
    >> ext3.
    >>
    >> Now lilo still thinks my root is reiserfs and panics. I've changed
    >> /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab.
    >>
    >> I guess I have to load a mandriva disc and re-install boot loader?

    > Yep. I just installed 2007.1 and noticed it could not find the correct
    > loader/image for lilo on my multi-boot system in the Rescue mode.
    >

    > So I picked console
    > mkdir /junk
    > mount -t auto /dev/sda15 /junk
    > chroot /junk
    > lilo -v
    > shutdown -r now
    > exit
    > exit

    Cheers, with my system the rescue-gui can sucessfully mount everything
    under /mnt and it can also re-install the boot-loader , and it appears
    to indicate it has found my root FS as ext3 as expected. However when I
    reboot, something somewhere still references ReiserFS when mounting
    /dev/root.

    I'll try it all manually and see what happens .

    (For some reason trying to install grub doesnt work - bu thats another
    matter at the moment - One thing at a time

    Lordy

  8. Re: Changed Root Filesystem - wont boot..

    Lordy wrote in news:Xns990DC940A90DAlordyorguk@
    63.218.45.252:

    > Cheers, with my system the rescue-gui can sucessfully mount everything
    > under /mnt and it can also re-install the boot-loader , and it appears
    > to indicate it has found my root FS as ext3 as expected. However when I
    > reboot, something somewhere still references ReiserFS when mounting
    > /dev/root.
    >
    > I'll try it all manually and see what happens .

    No joy trying it manually. I even put rootfstype=ext3 in the lilo options,
    and re-installed bootloader (ie re-ran lilo ), and something still thinks
    my root is ReiserFS. [ /etc/fstab was correct with ext3 ].

    I gave up in the end. I changed most of the other file systems to ext3.
    I'll double check write-caching is disabled as suggested, and leave it at
    that for now. I suspect initrd somehow has root fs type set to ReiserFS on
    my system. But the fascination and intrigue has long since faded..

    Lordy

  9. Re: Changed Root Filesystem - wont boot..

    On 2007-04-09, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 12:25:04 -0400, Lordy wrote:
    > I have the following in /etc/rc.d/rc.local ...
    > hdparm -a 8 -d 1 -r 0 -k 1 -u 1 -m 16 -c 1 -A 1 -W 0 -S 240 /dev/hda
    > hdparm -a 8 -d 1 -r 0 -k 1 -u 1 -m 16 -c 1 -A 1 -W 0 -S 240 /dev/hdb

    I've just got -B128 in mine (some Advance Power Management setting),
    I'll be disabling write caching methinks (-W 0) - I've had ReiserFS go weird
    on me twice in as many months - Although I've not had any sudden power
    outages or system crashes in a long time. Dont trust the bugger any
    more...

    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Cheers,
    Lordy

  10. Re: Changed Root Filesystem - wont boot..

    Lordy wrote:
    > something still thinks my root is ReiserFS

    I've never tried anything more complicated than switching from ext3
    to ext2, but I noticed after some googling that someone mentioned
    that when switching from reiserfs to ext3, formatting is required.

    I didn't see in any of your articles that you had formatted.

    There's a howto from December 11, 2006 for converting OpenSuSE /home
    from reiserfs to ext3 at the following URL in case it helps:

    http://snipurl.com/1fv1w

  11. Re: Changed Root Filesystem - wont boot..

    On 2007-04-09, Scott B. wrote:
    > Lordy wrote:
    >> something still thinks my root is ReiserFS

    > I've never tried anything more complicated than switching from ext3
    > to ext2, but I noticed after some googling that someone mentioned
    > that when switching from reiserfs to ext3, formatting is required.
    >
    > I didn't see in any of your articles that you had formatted.
    >
    > There's a howto from December 11, 2006 for converting OpenSuSE /home
    > from reiserfs to ext3 at the following URL in case it helps:
    >
    > http://snipurl.com/1fv1w

    thanks. Yup I had reformatted - and even remounted. The fs and content
    was there. fstab was correct. Just that Lilo still thinks it was Reiser. I think it was
    something to do with initrd.

    I converted and mounted all my other ReiserFS partitions OK including my /home. (similar to
    article, just using tar and mkfs.ext3 under Knoppix).
    It's just the root one causing pain. It mounts manually, but Lilo keeps
    trying to mount it is Reiser despite putting rootfstype flag in lilo
    (and running 'lilo'!)

    Lordy

  12. Re: Changed Root Filesystem - wont boot..

    On 2007-04-09, Peter D. wrote:
    > lordy wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >> thanks. Yup I had reformatted - and even remounted. The fs and content
    >> was there. fstab was correct. Just that Lilo still thinks it was Reiser. I
    >> think it was something to do with initrd.

    > [snip]
    >
    > Delete initrd and regenerate a new one?

    Cross my mind except I don't think mkinitrd was on the rescue disk.
    (Although I didn't look that hard). and I would have to 'study up' on
    mkinitrd etc. etc.

    In fact one link seemed to indicate 'initrd' is not really needed much
    these days as long as your filesystem drivers are compiled in the
    kernel.

    Then it started getting too big a subject for what I wanted to do

    Lordy

  13. Re: Changed Root Filesystem - wont boot..

    On 2007-04-09, Peter D. wrote:
    > lordy wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >> thanks. Yup I had reformatted - and even remounted. The fs and content
    >> was there. fstab was correct. Just that Lilo still thinks it was Reiser. I
    >> think it was something to do with initrd.

    > [snip]
    >
    > Delete initrd and regenerate a new one?

    You last post re-awakened my investigation.

    I uncompressed initrd an grepped it for reiserfs. Sure enough there it
    was.

    After looking at the mkinitrd page it just looks like I need to create
    a suitable fstab file and run mkinitrd --fstab=

    Then I can boot into rescue / knoppix - change the root FS back to ext3
    and put the new fstab in place.

    So to summarise:

    If you are changing your root filesystem you need to create a new initrd
    file first or it wont boot. This is for lilo. Not sure how Grub handles
    things.

    Lordy

  14. Re: Changed Root Filesystem - wont boot..

    On 2007-04-10, lordy wrote:
    > So to summarise:
    >
    > If you are changing your root filesystem you need to create a new initrd
    > file first or it wont boot. This is for lilo. Not sure how Grub handles
    > things.

    Just done it now. eg if changing from reiserfs to ext3

    1. modify '/' mount in existing fstab to mount new fs.
    (comment out and copy original line first).

    2. Create new initrd: (eg
    # mkinitrd -v /boot/initrd.ext3.`uname -r`.img `uname -r`
    # ln -s initrd.ext3.`uname -r`.img initrd.ext3.img
    (you may want to use different file names)

    3. Edit lilo.conf. Copy and change one entry to point to new initrd.ext3.img
    You may also want to disable splash screen at bootup until everything is
    working.

    4. Run Lilo.

    5. Boot knoppix or rescue system and convert your file system as usual.
    (If rescue system looks at /etc/fstab too soon it may get confused. I
    tend to use knoppix because you have all man pages available + internet
    etc)
    I also took the opportunity to add a 'ROOT' label to the FS so Lilo
    boots using 'root=LABEL=ROOT' option.

    6. Ensure fstab reflects current state of root FS.

    7. Reboot.

    8. If it all works. Change other entries in lilo.conf to use new image
    (and run lilo of course)

    Lordy

+ Reply to Thread