Compiling kernel: always "i386" - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Compiling kernel: always "i386" - Mandriva ; I am trying to compile a kernel from kernel.org on Mandriva 2007.0. The menu defaults to an IBM processor (from memory) and I have an Athlon. Both these settings are ignored, and the kernel is compiled for i386. The docs ...

  1. Compiling kernel: always "i386"

    I am trying to compile a kernel from kernel.org on Mandriva 2007.0. The
    menu defaults to an IBM processor (from memory) and I have an Athlon. Both
    these settings are ignored, and the kernel is compiled for i386.

    The docs say that Mandriva needs to be set to i586. Should I select i586
    from higher up that menu?

    Doug.
    --
    Be wisely worldly, be not worldly wise.
    - Francis Quarles.

  2. Re: Compiling kernel: always "i386"

    Doug Laidlaw a écrit :
    > I am trying to compile a kernel from kernel.org on Mandriva 2007.0. The
    > menu defaults to an IBM processor (from memory) and I have an Athlon. Both
    > these settings are ignored, and the kernel is compiled for i386.
    >
    > The docs say that Mandriva needs to be set to i586. Should I select i586
    > from higher up that menu?
    >
    > Doug.

    Have you checked-out the newer available kernels through the MCC? You
    may not need to compile a kernel if the one you want is already compiled
    for you. Better yet. It installs the kernel and you can always revert to
    your older kernel if things do not work out.

    Marc

  3. Re: Compiling kernel: always "i386"

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 23:37:10 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I am trying to compile a kernel from kernel.org on Mandriva 2007.0. The
    > menu defaults to an IBM processor (from memory) and I have an Athlon. Both
    > these settings are ignored, and the kernel is compiled for i386.
    >
    > The docs say that Mandriva needs to be set to i586. Should I select i586
    > from higher up that menu?

    Delete your current .config file in the source dir. Then copy /boot/config
    to it as .config. Now run make xconfig (or menuconfig, or the other one
    that escapes me in my old age) and uncheck the 586 and check the Processor
    you want and the options for it. Save and compile. That'll get you close
    to the same as the original, minus any Mdr addins.

  4. Re: Compiling kernel: always "i386"

    Peter D. wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 23:37:10 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am trying to compile a kernel from kernel.org on Mandriva 2007.0. The
    >>> menu defaults to an IBM processor (from memory) and I have an Athlon.
    >>> Both these settings are ignored, and the kernel is compiled for i386.
    >>>
    >>> The docs say that Mandriva needs to be set to i586. Should I select
    >>> i586 from higher up that menu?
    >>>

    >> Delete your current .config file in the source dir. Then copy
    >> /boot/config to it as .config. Now run make xconfig (or menuconfig, or
    >> the other one that escapes me in my old age) and uncheck the 586 and
    >> check the Processor you want and the options for it. Save and compile.
    >> That'll get you close
    >> to the same as the original, minus any Mdr addins.

    > There are instructions in /usr/src/linux, assuming that you have put the
    > source files in the default place.
    >
    > I'd recommend;
    > cd /usr/src/linux
    > cp /boot/config .config
    > make mrproper
    > make oldconfig
    > make xconfig
    > nice make
    > nice make modules_install
    > make install

    I tried to do what Wes recommended. It seemed to make no difference.

    After "make mrproper" the old .config was deleted. I then copied across the
    one from the source for my standard Mandriva kernel and changed it as Wes
    stated. It still came out i386.

    The only change I really want is to up the computer ticks from 250 Hz to
    1000 Hz. Why was 250 Hz chosen? Do Mandriva expect that most linux
    systems will be used as servers?

    Just out of interest, why "nice make" with no figure for nice?

    I will do as Marc suggests, and use a precompiled "multimedia" kernel,
    except that those too seem to be set at 250 Hz and Rosegarden complains.

    Doug.
    --
    Ugliness is only skin deep.
    - W.G.P.

  5. Re: Compiling kernel: always "i386"

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:56:37 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I tried to do what Wes recommended. It seemed to make no difference.
    >
    > After "make mrproper" the old .config was deleted. I then copied across the
    > one from the source for my standard Mandriva kernel and changed it as Wes
    > stated. It still came out i386.

    How are you determining it's coming out as i386? Is it saying i386 with
    uname after you boot it?

    > The only change I really want is to up the computer ticks from 250 Hz to
    > 1000 Hz. Why was 250 Hz chosen? Do Mandriva expect that most linux
    > systems will be used as servers?

    If you've copied the config file over, just manually change it with an
    editor. I use the built in editor of filerunner. Don't know why they set
    it to 250.

    > Just out of interest, why "nice make" with no figure for nice?
    >
    > I will do as Marc suggests, and use a precompiled "multimedia" kernel,
    > except that those too seem to be set at 250 Hz and Rosegarden complains.

    I don't do mrproper or nice make. I delete any old lib modules dir, do
    make clean before I start, config, make bzImage, make modules, make
    modules_install, make install.

  6. Re: Compiling kernel: always "i386"

    Doug Laidlaw writes:

    >Peter D. wrote:

    >> Wes Newell wrote:

    No. Mandriva does not need to be set to i586. It IS set to that. On the
    theory that the i586 is more optimized to later cpus. I have read arguments
    to say that this is not true, that the choice of the i586 is probably the
    worst choice of all, but have no way of substantiating that. Ie, an i386
    kernel should work fine. Re the athelon vs intel I have no comment at all.

  7. Re: Compiling kernel: always "i386"

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:15:53 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw writes:
    >
    >>Peter D. wrote:

    > No. Mandriva does not need to be set to i586. It IS set to that. On the
    > theory that the i586 is more optimized to later cpus. I have read arguments
    > to say that this is not true, that the choice of the i586 is probably the
    > worst choice of all, but have no way of substantiating that. Ie, an i386
    > kernel should work fine. Re the athelon vs intel I have no comment at all.

    An I386 kernel (or app) won't use any of the extended x86 commands, like
    MMX, etc. It will be slower and may have problems with apps that require
    the extended commands. You should check i586 at a minimum unless you jhave
    a 486 or earlier x86 cpu. Selecting i 386 may also disable many features
    like cpufreq, etc. I don't know as I've never selected it.:-)