Can't start Mandriva too - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Can't start Mandriva too - Mandriva ; during install, Graphic card cannot be configured Its a S3 Trio 3D 2X Install Test produces (EE) Failed to load Module S3virgo (module does not exist) (EE) No Devices Detected Install disk is the latest mandriva-free-2007-mini.iso After Boot, screen goes ...

  1. Can't start Mandriva too

    during install, Graphic card cannot be configured

    Its a S3 Trio 3D 2X

    Install Test produces

    (EE) Failed to load Module S3virgo (module does not exist)
    (EE) No Devices Detected

    Install disk is the latest mandriva-free-2007-mini.iso

    After Boot, screen goes to text mode and asks login

    after login, command startx
    fails because graphic card

    Any idea ?

    Same Hardware Works with Ubuntu, but Ubuntu cannot install
    ..rpm packets.....

  2. Re: Can't start Mandriva too

    On Monday 09 Apr 2007 10:21, trallala wrote:

    > during install, Graphic card cannot be configured
    >
    > Its a S3 Trio 3D 2X
    >
    > Install Test produces
    >
    > (EE) Failed to load Module S3virgo (module does not exist)
    > (EE) No Devices Detected
    >

    > Install disk is the latest mandriva-free-2007-mini.iso
    >
    > After Boot, screen goes to text mode and asks login
    >
    > after login, command startx
    > fails because graphic card
    >
    > Any idea ?

    What's in your xorg.conf?

    > Same Hardware Works with Ubuntu, but Ubuntu cannot install
    > .rpm packets.....

    This is a longshot, but that *could* be because ubuntu is based on Debian.

  3. Re: Can't start Mandriva too

    Dave wrote:
    > On Monday 09 Apr 2007 10:21, trallala wrote:

    [snip]

    >> Same Hardware Works with Ubuntu, but Ubuntu cannot install
    >> .rpm packets.....

    > This is a longshot, but that *could* be because ubuntu is based on Debian.

    You can install .rpm packages on Ubuntu/Debian using alien.

    Convert the package.rpm into a package.deb

    #alien -d package-name.rpm

    Convert the package.rpm into a package.deb, and install the
    generated package.

    #alien -i package-name.rpm

    Easy huh? ;-).

  4. Re: [Solved] Can't start Mandriva too

    thanks
    for the alien

    I was reading about this before, but havent tried......

    BTW, I was solving my Mandriva install problem

    Just installed with the Mandriva-one-2007 live CD

    Looks like the Mandriva-free-2007-mini.iso only list the
    Video Drivers and dont install them !!!!

    "John Kloosterman" a écrit dans le message de
    news: 461a50ac$0$32144$bf4948fe@news.tele2.nl...
    > Dave wrote:
    >> On Monday 09 Apr 2007 10:21, trallala wrote:

    > [snip]
    >>
    >>> Same Hardware Works with Ubuntu, but Ubuntu cannot install
    >>> .rpm packets.....

    >> This is a longshot, but that *could* be because ubuntu is based on
    >> Debian.

    > You can install .rpm packages on Ubuntu/Debian using alien.
    >
    > Convert the package.rpm into a package.deb
    >
    > #alien -d package-name.rpm
    >
    > Convert the package.rpm into a package.deb, and install the generated
    > package.
    >
    > #alien -i package-name.rpm
    >
    > Easy huh? ;-).

  5. Re: [next] Where to find my installed Application

    Now I installed a few .rpm from my Labview CD

    it works

    But where do I find and how to start the installed Application ?

    It doesnt appear in the menu
    (Star)Applications ?

    "trallala" a écrit dans le message de news:
    461a572e$0$31983$426a74cc@news.free.fr...
    > thanks
    > for the alien
    >
    > I was reading about this before, but havent tried......
    >

    > BTW, I was solving my Mandriva install problem
    >
    > Just installed with the Mandriva-one-2007 live CD
    >
    > Looks like the Mandriva-free-2007-mini.iso only list the
    > Video Drivers and dont install them !!!!
    >
    > "John Kloosterman" a écrit dans le message de
    > news: 461a50ac$0$32144$bf4948fe@news.tele2.nl...
    >> Dave wrote:
    >>> On Monday 09 Apr 2007 10:21, trallala wrote:

    >> [snip]

    >>> This is a longshot, but that *could* be because ubuntu is based on
    >>> Debian.

    >> You can install .rpm packages on Ubuntu/Debian using alien.
    >>
    >> Convert the package.rpm into a package.deb
    >>
    >> #alien -d package-name.rpm
    >>
    >> Convert the package.rpm into a package.deb, and install the generated
    >> package.
    >>
    >> #alien -i package-name.rpm
    >>
    >> Easy huh? ;-).

  6. Re: [Solved] Can't start Mandriva too

    On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 17:09:42 +0200, trallala wrote:
    > thanks
    > for the alien
    >
    > I was reading about this before, but havent tried......
    >

    > BTW, I was solving my Mandriva install problem
    >
    > Just installed with the Mandriva-one-2007 live CD

    Yeah, I tried the live cd and tried to bring it up to the mandriva-free
    cd set. Never was able to get it right.

    I recommend getting the Mandriva-free 4 cd set or dvd and do a clean
    install from there.

  7. Re: [next] Where to find my installed Application

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 11:23:23 -0400, trallala wrote:

    > Now I installed a few .rpm from my Labview CD
    > But where do I find and how to start the installed Application ?

    rpm -q -l packagename | grep bin/
    will show you all of the files from the package, and limit the
    result to the executable programs installed in one of the bin
    directories.

    Then you just enter the program name, at a command prompt, or
    use the menu/Run Command, and enter the program name.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  8. Re: Can't start Mandriva too

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 11:21:39 +0200, trallala wrote:

    > Any idea ?

    > Same Hardware Works with Ubuntu, but Ubuntu cannot install .rpm
    > packets.....

    No idea why it can't. That sukz :-)

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  9. Re: [next] Where to find my installed Application

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 17:23:23 +0200, trallala wrote:

    > Now I installed a few .rpm from my Labview CD

    > it works

    > But where do I find and how to start the installed Application ?

    > It doesnt appear in the menu
    > (Star)Applications ?

    Are you stil trying to install a complete system from that one mini
    ISO? That is supposed to work, but all I see are reports of that failing
    those that attempt it. Then they give up and sucessfully install from the
    full set of CD's or DVD.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  10. Re: Can't start Mandriva too

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 11:21:39 +0200, trallala wrote:

    > during install, Graphic card cannot be configured
    >
    > Its a S3 Trio 3D 2X
    >
    > Install Test produces
    >
    > (EE) Failed to load Module S3virgo (module does not exist)
    > (EE) No Devices Detected
    >

    > Install disk is the latest mandriva-free-2007-mini.iso
    >
    > After Boot, screen goes to text mode and asks login
    >
    > after login, command startx
    > fails because graphic card
    >
    > Any idea ?

    Use vesa driver. Recompile kernel for S3trio support. Buy a newer video
    card.:-)

  11. Re: [Solved] Can't start Mandriva too

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > I recommend getting the Mandriva-free 4 cd set or dvd and do a clean
    > install from there.

    I agree with one caveat. If you have fast a network connection to
    one of the Mandriva mirrors the network install is actually easier.
    Reason: after doing a CD/DVD install you have to go to the network and
    patch everything. However if you install over the network it apparently
    installs all the latest versions automatically, so there's no need to
    update. By "fast" I mean a sustained download rate of at least 250
    kilobytes per second. It's still a good idea to have the CD set on
    hand though, in case you ever need to recover, especially if the machine
    isn't on the network at the time.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

+ Reply to Thread