Aardvark wrote:
> Yup. I had edited GRUB.

Seems I was not clear enough. The Nvidia installer expects
the source code for your kernel to in a bin (default:
/usr/src/linux-2.6.12-31mdk or whatever your kernel is),
and it expects /usr/src/linux to be a symbolic link to that
location. This has nothing to do with where your compiled
kernel is, which is normally in /boot and listed in grub's menu.lst.

I have used Nvidia installers that would not find the correct
kernel source code if the link at /usr/src/linux was not
pointing to the correct location. I am not sure this is still
true, but worth a check.

I have also had a system some years ago where there was a
symbolic link under /lib/modules that had to point to the
correct full-name directory for the modules tree in use.
I removed that link a few custom kernels ago, and it seems to be
unnecessary, as everything continued to work, so I have never
put it back.

Cheers!

jim b.

--