'Windows' keys not working - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 'Windows' keys not working - Mandriva ; Not a major problem but somewhat irritating. A few weeks ago when I was playing around with beryl, and during which time I was making multiple edits to /etc/X11/xorg.conf i lost use of my 'Windows' keys. It wasn't until much ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: 'Windows' keys not working

  1. 'Windows' keys not working

    Not a major problem but somewhat irritating. A few weeks ago when I was
    playing around with beryl, and during which time I was making multiple
    edits to /etc/X11/xorg.conf i lost use of my 'Windows' keys.

    It wasn't until much later that I realised this (in fact only in the last
    few days) and I can't work out which settings and where have been b0rked.

    Keyboard is a Logitech. Can't remember the model name but it's the one
    with 19 blue keys along the top for email, multimedia and such. 105 keys,
    UK English, a 'Windows' key each side of the 'space' bar (outside the
    'Alt'keys).

    The section of xorg.conf regarding the keyboard is as follows:

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard1"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
    Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
    EndSection

    I have a feeling that some extra identifier should be here to tell the OS
    that the keyboard has the keys in question but can't find the correct way
    to tell it. It's got to be something simple, of course.

    Any answers?

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

  2. Re: 'Windows' keys not working

    Hi there, I have a Compaq (Logitech) keyboard with a windows key,
    allthough Norwegian, but here is my keyboard "translation"
    Hope you can find something there.

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard1"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "no"
    Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
    EndSection

    Cheers, Roger

    --
    Mandriva Linux Powerpack 2007 (Linuxcounter #432950) (Icq 242808721)

    Abit KG7A Mainboard, 750 Mb Memory, AMD Athlon XP 1700+ CPU,
    Nvidia (Albatron) GeForce FX5700 Ultra 128 Mb

  3. Re: 'Windows' keys not working

    On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 12:52:25 -0400, Aardvark wrote:

    > Keyboard is a Logitech. Can't remember the model name but it's the one


    Get out the magnafying glass, and check the bottom of the keyboard.

    > I have a feeling that some extra identifier should be here to tell the OS
    > that the keyboard has the keys in question but can't find the correct way
    > to tell it. It's got to be something simple, of course.


    For the multimedia keys, install and check the man page for lineakd.

    For the windows keys use xmodmap. Use xev to determin the key code.
    I have the windows "menu" key 117 set to be used as the Insert key.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  4. Re: 'Windows' keys not working

    On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 08:48:47 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 12:52:25 -0400, Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >> Keyboard is a Logitech. Can't remember the model name but it's the one

    >
    > Get out the magnafying glass, and check the bottom of the keyboard.
    >


    LOL did that yesterday before I posted the OP. Only some technical guff
    embossed on the underside, a small blue inspection sticker and that's it.

    >
    > For the multimedia keys, install and check the man page for lineakd.
    >


    Wasn't really bothered about the blue keys. Even in Windows I always
    forgot to use them, although if there's a way to use them in Mdv I'll give
    that a go. Just for the sake of self-education. :-)

    > For the windows keys use xmodmap. Use xev to determin the key code. I
    > have the windows "menu" key 117 set to be used as the Insert key.
    >


    I like the 'Windows' menu key to pop up the star't menu. I like my taskbar
    to disappear when I don't need it so that key followed by arrow keys are
    pretty handy for opening applications. Saves moving the mouse pointer to
    the bottom edge of the screen (sometimes if I move it too fast I disappear
    into one of my other desktops :-))

    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >




    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

  5. Re: 'Windows' keys not working

    On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 10:28:58 -0400, Aardvark wrote:

    > On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 08:48:47 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 12:52:25 -0400, Aardvark wrote:
    >>> Keyboard is a Logitech. Can't remember the model name but it's the one

    >> Get out the magnafying glass, and check the bottom of the keyboard.

    >
    > LOL did that yesterday before I posted the OP. Only some technical guff
    > embossed on the underside, a small blue inspection sticker and that's it.


    On mine, there's a useless sticker, with the name of the keyboard in
    raised text on the plastic itself. Hard to read black text, on a black
    background. This ones a Logitech "Internet Pro". The only thing I
    dislike about it, is the only insert key is the zero in the number pad.
    Like you, I never use the multimedia keys, just redefine the windows keys
    to more usefull ones.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  6. Re: 'Windows' keys not working

    On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 08:48:47 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    >
    > Get out the magnafying glass, and check the bottom of the keyboard.
    >


    Got the FCC ID number which led me to research which calls it a keyboard
    manufactured by Chipbon (kbd v1.0). To get this info I opened a text
    editor then hit the 'Print Screen' key while holding down the 'Fn' key.

    Nevertheless I recall now that it was bought as a 'Logitech iTouch' and I
    still have the original Win driver disc (it's a wired kbd). I've searched
    all over for a picture of this particular keyboard but so far I've been
    spectacularly unsuccessful. Unsurprising as it must be four or five years
    old by now and has probably been superceded.

    >
    > For the multimedia keys, install and check the man page for lineakd.
    >


    lineakd was already installed and I've been reading and trying to digest
    the man pages. I'm slowly getting the idea. I think

    > For the windows keys use xmodmap. Use xev to determin the key code. I
    > have the windows "menu" key 117 set to be used as the Insert key.
    >


    xmodmap doesn't give me much I can decipher:

    xmodmap: up to 3 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

    shift Shift_L (0x32), Shift_R (0x3e)
    lock Caps_Lock (0x42)
    control Control_L (0x25), Control_R (0x6d)
    mod1 Alt_L (0x40), Alt_L (0x7d), Meta_L (0x9c)
    mod2 Num_Lock (0x4d)
    mod3
    mod4 Super_L (0x7f), Hyper_L (0x80)
    mod5 Mode_switch (0x5d), ISO_Level3_Shift (0x71),
    ISO_Level3_Shift (0x7c)

    Used xev and got all the keycodes for the blue keys as follows:

    webback 234
    webfwd 233
    webstop 232
    refresh 231
    search 229
    My Docs?/Favourites? 230
    home 178
    mail 236
    mute 160
    sleep 223
    volumedown 174
    volumeup 176
    play|pause 162
    stop 164
    fastback?/previous track 144
    ffwd?/next track? 153
    media 237
    desktop/my computer 235
    calculator 161

    The 'Windows' keys (which are the ones in which I'm most interested) give
    keycodes 115 and 116.

    The list of keyboards I get from lineakd -l doesn't seem to give me an
    exact match although a couple come pretty close. The best match seems to
    be MIKproSE (some Microsoft thing in Swedish).

    Would it be possible for me to adapt this MIKproSE configuration and insert
    it into /root/.lineak/lineakd.conf and /etc/lineak/lineakd.conf? Give it a
    name like aardvarkkbd and add it to my xorg.conf file? Then run 'lineakd
    -c aardvarkkbd'?

    Also, how would I define the function I require when I hit either of the
    two 'Windows' keys (ie. hitting the key(s) results in the star't menu
    popping up)

    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >


    Cheers Dave

    Aardvark.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

  7. Re: 'Windows' keys not working

    On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 20:59:31 -0400, Aardvark wrote:

    > Also, how would I define the function I require when I hit either of the
    > two 'Windows' keys (ie. hitting the key(s) results in the star't menu
    > popping up)


    I'm getting close on this. I currently have my "scroll_lock" key popping
    up the menu. In kcontrol/Regional & Accessibilty/Input Actions, I
    created a new group called "My stuff" In that group, I created a
    new action called "Show menu" Using the dropdown box, I selected
    an Action Type of "Keyboard Shortcut -> DCOP Call (simple). In
    the Keyboard Shortcut, I selected ScrollLock. In the DCOP settings
    I entered "Remote application:" as kicker, "Remote Object" as kicker,
    "Called function:" as popupKMenu, and "Arguments: as 0.

    Pressing the Try button brings up the menu, at the mouse cursor
    location. After restarting kde, pressing the scrolllock key
    now works.

    Using xmodmap to redefine the right window key (116) as Scroll_Lock
    seems to work, in that pressing that key during keyboard shortcut
    selection recognizes it as a Scroll_Lock, but it doesn't work for
    bringing up the menu. I think it's the difference between
    a modifier key, and a regular key, but I'll keep digging.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  8. Re: 'Windows' keys not working

    On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 20:59:31 -0400, Aardvark wrote:

    > Would it be possible for me to adapt this MIKproSE configuration and insert
    > it into /root/.lineak/lineakd.conf and /etc/lineak/lineakd.conf? Give it a
    > name like aardvarkkbd and add it to my xorg.conf file? Then run 'lineakd
    > -c aardvarkkbd'?


    You'd need to modify /etc/lineakkb.def to give the keys names.
    in ~/.lineak/lineakd.conf you then define the actions for those
    keys.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  9. Re: 'Windows' keys not working

    Aardvark had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 06-04-07 18:52:
    > Not a major problem but somewhat irritating. A few weeks ago when I was
    > playing around with beryl, and during which time I was making multiple
    > edits to /etc/X11/xorg.conf i lost use of my 'Windows' keys.
    >
    > It wasn't until much later that I realised this (in fact only in the last
    > few days) and I can't work out which settings and where have been b0rked.
    >
    > Keyboard is a Logitech. Can't remember the model name but it's the one
    > with 19 blue keys along the top for email, multimedia and such. 105 keys,
    > UK English, a 'Windows' key each side of the 'space' bar (outside the
    > 'Alt'keys).
    >
    > The section of xorg.conf regarding the keyboard is as follows:
    >
    > Section "InputDevice"
    > Identifier "Keyboard1"
    > Driver "kbd"
    > Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    > Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
    > Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
    > EndSection
    >
    > I have a feeling that some extra identifier should be here to tell the OS
    > that the keyboard has the keys in question but can't find the correct way
    > to tell it. It's got to be something simple, of course.
    >
    > Any answers?
    >


    Dear Aardvark,

    what about the program "Keytouch"?

    http://keytouch.sourceforge.net/keyboards_logitech.php

    Erik.

  10. Re: 'Windows' keys not working

    On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 10:51:54 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 20:59:31 -0400, Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >> Would it be possible for me to adapt this MIKproSE configuration and insert
    >> it into /root/.lineak/lineakd.conf and /etc/lineak/lineakd.conf? Give it a
    >> name like aardvarkkbd and add it to my xorg.conf file? Then run 'lineakd
    >> -c aardvarkkbd'?

    >
    > You'd need to modify /etc/lineakkb.def to give the keys names.
    > in ~/.lineak/lineakd.conf you then define the actions for those
    > keys.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >


    Thanks for keeping me updated Dave. This particular problem of mine took a
    back seat over the weekend what with my Mandriva dying and all, but I'll
    probably get back to this one over this weekend.

    Do keep posting back as you try things.

    Cheers, Steve Doherty

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

  11. Re: 'Windows' keys not working

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 16:55:00 +0200, Erik wrote:

    >
    >
    > Dear Aardvark,
    >
    > what about the program "Keytouch"?
    >
    > http://keytouch.sourceforge.net/keyboards_logitech.php
    >
    > Erik.


    Thanks Erik but unfortunately my keyboard isn't included on that page. As
    I mentioned I couldn't find a picture of my particular keyboard even after
    lots of googling.

    Funny thing is, I know I've seen pics of it it the past, say two or three
    years ago. Strange.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

  12. Re: 'Windows' keys not working

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 10:28:58 -0400, Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >
    >>On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 08:48:47 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 12:52:25 -0400, Aardvark wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Keyboard is a Logitech. Can't remember the model name but it's the one
    >>>
    >>>Get out the magnafying glass, and check the bottom of the keyboard.

    >>
    >>LOL did that yesterday before I posted the OP. Only some technical guff
    >>embossed on the underside, a small blue inspection sticker and that's it.

    >
    >
    > On mine, there's a useless sticker, with the name of the keyboard in
    > raised text on the plastic itself. Hard to read black text, on a black
    > background.


    And when you look behind you, there's an armchair with two headrests?

    You are Arthur Dent AICM5P

  13. Re: 'Windows' keys not working

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:08:31 +0100, Frank Peelo wrote:

    >>
    >> On mine, there's a useless sticker, with the name of the keyboard in
    >> raised text on the plastic itself. Hard to read black text, on a black
    >> background.

    >
    > And when you look behind you, there's an armchair with two headrests?
    >
    > You are Arthur Dent AICM5P


    No, that would be Zaphod Beeblebrox :-)

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

  14. Re: 'Windows' keys not working

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:43:52 -0400, Aardvark wrote:

    > Do keep posting back as you try things.


    Ok, here's a version that works.

    Before X is started, run
    sudo setkeycodes e05c 70

    This causes the right "windows" key, to be treated the same as
    the scroll lock key, at the kernel level. Trying at the X,
    or KDE level doesn't work.

    In kcontrol/Regional & Accessibility/Input Actions,
    Create a new group, for example, "My stuff".
    In the new group, create a new action, for example "Show Menu".
    Set the Action type to "Keyboard Shortcut -> DCOP Call (simple)"
    Select the Keyboard Shortcut tab, click on the "None" key.
    Press the right win key. It should now show ScrollLock, as the
    shortcut.
    Click on the DCOP Call Settings tab.
    Set the Remote application and object both to "kicker".
    Set the Called function to "popupKMenu".
    Set the Arguments to 0, to have the menu popup whereever
    the mouse cursor is, or any value other then zero, to
    have it at the top of the screen.
    Click apply.
    I think you have to logout/in, for it to take affect.

    You should now be able to display the kmenu by pressing
    either the scrolllock key, or the right win key.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  15. Re: 'Windows' keys not working

    Aardvark wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:08:31 +0100, Frank Peelo wrote:
    >
    >
    >>>On mine, there's a useless sticker, with the name of the keyboard in
    >>>raised text on the plastic itself. Hard to read black text, on a black
    >>>background.

    >>
    >>And when you look behind you, there's an armchair with two headrests?
    >>
    >>You are Arthur Dent AICM5P

    >
    >
    > No, that would be Zaphod Beeblebrox :-)


    Oh.

    Googles for: labelled in black on a black background
    http://www.waplib.ru/lib.ru/ADAMS/hi...=0&k=500&p=109

    And they've got rid of the hyperevolving armchair with the 2 headrests
    which then eats Zaphod, which was on the radio version.

    You're right. Durn. /me does not collect 5P. I'll get me coat.

  16. Re: 'Windows' keys not working

    On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:57:19 +0100, Frank Peelo wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:08:31 +0100, Frank Peelo wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>>On mine, there's a useless sticker, with the name of the keyboard in
    >>>>raised text on the plastic itself. Hard to read black text, on a black
    >>>>background.
    >>>
    >>>And when you look behind you, there's an armchair with two headrests?
    >>>
    >>>You are Arthur Dent AICM5P

    >>
    >>
    >> No, that would be Zaphod Beeblebrox :-)

    >
    > Oh.
    >
    > Googles for: labelled in black on a black background
    > http://www.waplib.ru/lib.ru/ADAMS/hi...=0&k=500&p=109
    >
    > And they've got rid of the hyperevolving armchair with the 2 headrests
    > which then eats Zaphod, which was on the radio version.
    >
    > You're right. Durn. /me does not collect 5P. I'll get me coat.


    Mate of mine in the late seventies had the radio show on tape cassettes.
    We used to go back to his flat on Friday nights after the pub, get stoned
    and roll around laughing at them. The word pictures were great.

    Made sure to watch the BBC TV series in the eighties. Loved it. Also read
    the book at some stage.

    Not really sure I want to see the movie version, I think it might **** up
    the feel of the whole thing for me.

    My favourite name from the book is Slartibartfast. Loved designing Norway
    coz he liked the fiddly bits.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

+ Reply to Thread