kicker doesn't come back after crash - Mandriva

This is a discussion on kicker doesn't come back after crash - Mandriva ; when the kicker crashes signal 11 on my amd laptop it is not automaticly relaunched, when it crashes the same signal on my p4 desktop it is back up before the error dialog comes up. what can I do to ...

  1. kicker doesn't come back after crash

    when the kicker crashes signal 11 on my amd laptop it is not automaticly
    relaunched, when it crashes the same signal on my p4 desktop it is back
    up before the error dialog comes up.

    what can I do to make it come back,is there a prosess that is running on
    the desktop that is not running on the laptop??????

    any other ideas????

  2. Re: kicker doesn't come back after crash

    Quoth chris gareau :

    > when the kicker crashes signal 11 on my amd laptop it is not automaticly
    > relaunched, when it crashes the same signal on my p4 desktop it is back
    > up before the error dialog comes up.
    >
    > what can I do to make it come back,is there a prosess that is running on
    > the desktop that is not running on the laptop??????

    You'll have to tell us. Is there?

    > any other ideas????

    Just a thought... Are you trying to run any Gnome applets in the panel's
    system tray? I experienced some kicker instability when running Acme via
    a .desktop file plunked down into ~/.kde/Autostart/ (Acme's a multimedia
    keyboard config app which worked for my hardware "out of the box".)

    Kicker would crash on log out about 10% of the time and when it finally
    crashed on startup, I tracked down the cause and gave up on that
    particular method of running that particular app.
    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  3. Re: kicker doesn't come back after crash

    Big Yellow Hats wrote:
    > Quoth chris gareau :
    >
    >> when the kicker crashes signal 11 on my amd laptop it is not automaticly
    >> relaunched, when it crashes the same signal on my p4 desktop it is back
    >> up before the error dialog comes up.
    >>
    >> what can I do to make it come back,is there a prosess that is running on
    >> the desktop that is not running on the laptop??????

    > You'll have to tell us. Is there?
    >
    >> any other ideas????

    > Just a thought... Are you trying to run any Gnome applets in the panel's
    > system tray? I experienced some kicker instability when running Acme via
    > a .desktop file plunked down into ~/.kde/Autostart/ (Acme's a multimedia
    > keyboard config app which worked for my hardware "out of the box".)
    >
    > Kicker would crash on log out about 10% of the time and when it finally
    > crashed on startup, I tracked down the cause and gave up on that
    > particular method of running that particular app.

    unless mandriva's netapplet is designed for gnome then no

    I wil install a backtraser and look next time it crashes.

    is there a setting someware that will make sure ked reloads kicker when
    it dies??????????

  4. Re: kicker doesn't come back after crash

    chris gareau wrote:

    > Big Yellow Hats wrote:
    >> Quoth chris gareau :
    >>
    >>> when the kicker crashes signal 11 on my amd laptop it is not automaticly
    >>> relaunched, when it crashes the same signal on my p4 desktop it is back
    >>> up before the error dialog comes up.
    >>>
    >>> what can I do to make it come back,is there a prosess that is running on
    >>> the desktop that is not running on the laptop??????

    >> You'll have to tell us. Is there?
    >>
    >>> any other ideas????

    >> Just a thought... Are you trying to run any Gnome applets in the panel's
    >> system tray? I experienced some kicker instability when running Acme via
    >> a .desktop file plunked down into ~/.kde/Autostart/ (Acme's a multimedia
    >> keyboard config app which worked for my hardware "out of the box".)
    >>
    >> Kicker would crash on log out about 10% of the time and when it finally
    >> crashed on startup, I tracked down the cause and gave up on that
    >> particular method of running that particular app.

    > unless mandriva's netapplet is designed for gnome then no
    >
    > I wil install a backtraser and look next time it crashes.
    >
    > is there a setting someware that will make sure ked reloads kicker when
    > it dies??????????

    ok I ran a backtrace on the crash

    (no debugging symbols found)
    Using host libthread_db library "/lib/i686/libthread_db.so.1".
    (no debugging symbols found)
    `shared object read from target memory' has disappeared; keeping its
    symbols.
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    [New Thread -1233328432 (LWP 4534)]
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    (no debugging symbols found)
    [KCrash handler]
    #19 0xb73b48f4 in QString::insertHelper () from
    /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
    #20 0xb5f4e2b1 in ACPIThermalSrc::getValue () from
    /usr/lib/kde3/libcpuinfo.so
    #21 0xb5f49fe1 in CPUInfo::updateValues () from /usr/lib/kde3/libcpuinfo.so
    #22 0xb5f52e5c in CPUInfo::qt_invoke () from /usr/lib/kde3/libcpuinfo.so
    #23 0xb70e604d in QObject::activate_signal ()
    from /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
    #24 0xb70e6c5d in QObject::activate_signal ()
    from /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
    #25 0xb73fa8f9 in QTimer::timeout () from /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
    #26 0xb71093cf in QTimer::event () from /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
    #27 0xb7089037 in QApplication::internalNotify ()
    from /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
    #28 0xb7089ea9 in QApplication::notify () from
    /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
    #29 0xb77b026a in KApplication::notify () from /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4
    #30 0xb707e22b in QEventLoop::activateTimers ()
    from /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
    #31 0xb703a960 in QEventLoop:rocessEvents ()
    from /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
    #32 0xb709ea60 in QEventLoop::enterLoop () from
    /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
    #33 0xb709e916 in QEventLoop::exec () from /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
    #34 0xb70889ef in QApplication::exec () from /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
    #35 0xb659e7d2 in kdemain () from /usr/lib/libkdeinit_kicker.so
    #36 0xb7f727c3 in kdeinitmain () from /usr/lib/kde3/kicker.so
    #37 0x0804ee05 in ?? ()
    #38 0x0804f732 in ?? ()
    #39 0x0804faed in ?? ()
    #40 0x080504d3 in ?? ()
    #41 0xb67e775c in __libc_start_main () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
    #42 0x0804baa1 in ?? ()

    I am not sure what I am looking at here?????????

    what is happening to my panel

  5. Re: kicker doesn't come back after crash

    On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 01:34:19 -0400, chris gareau wrote:

    > I am not sure what I am looking at here?????????
    > what is happening to my panel

    I'm not aware of a process to auto restart kicker, but when it dies
    you should be able to press alt+f2 and enter kicker as the program
    to run, to restart it.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: kicker doesn't come back after crash

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 01:34:19 -0400, chris gareau wrote:
    >
    >> I am not sure what I am looking at here?????????
    >> what is happening to my panel

    > I'm not aware of a process to auto restart kicker, but when it dies
    > you should be able to press alt+f2 and enter kicker as the program
    > to run, to restart it.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    when kicker crashes on my p4 desktop it is re run right away, just not
    on the laptop, anyway I put an icon on the desktop so I can run it easly

  7. Re: kicker doesn't come back after crash

    On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 18:54:18 -0400, chris gareau wrote:

    > when kicker crashes on my p4 desktop it is re run right away, just not
    > on the laptop, anyway I put an icon on the desktop so I can run it easly

    Compare the settings in kcontrol/KDE Components/Service Manager.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  8. Re: kicker doesn't come back after crash

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 18:54:18 -0400, chris gareau wrote:
    >
    >> when kicker crashes on my p4 desktop it is re run right away, just not
    >> on the laptop, anyway I put an icon on the desktop so I can run it easly

    > Compare the settings in kcontrol/KDE Components/Service Manager.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    comparing the desktop to the laptop kcontrol service manager settings
    showed that the desktop has KDED KMRML daemon watcher installed in the
    on demand services and the laptop doesn't have it.

    searching in rpmdrak revealed nothing, what package is this component in.

  9. Re: kicker doesn't come back after crash

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 18:54:18 -0400, chris gareau wrote:
    >
    >> when kicker crashes on my p4 desktop it is re run right away, just not
    >> on the laptop, anyway I put an icon on the desktop so I can run it easly

    > Compare the settings in kcontrol/KDE Components/Service Manager.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    I had a problem with auto-hiding the panel, that it wouldn't come back.
    Kicker was still running. I edited .kde/config/kickerrc, and
    changed "Auto-hide=true" to "false". Since then it has disappeared only
    once, and running kicker brought it back.

    Doug.
    --
    I am a man; I consider nothing pertaining to mankind as foreign to my
    nature.

  10. Re: kicker doesn't come back after crash

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 18:54:18 -0400, chris gareau wrote:
    >>
    >>> when kicker crashes on my p4 desktop it is re run right away, just not
    >>> on the laptop, anyway I put an icon on the desktop so I can run it easly

    >> Compare the settings in kcontrol/KDE Components/Service Manager.
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>

    > I had a problem with auto-hiding the panel, that it wouldn't come back.
    > Kicker was still running. I edited .kde/config/kickerrc, and
    > changed "Auto-hide=true" to "false". Since then it has disappeared only
    > once, and running kicker brought it back.

    You had tried the convenient RightClick(on Kicker) / Properties / Hide
    only when a hide button is pushed route and it didn't work? (That last
    command is a paraphrase. )

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  11. Re: kicker doesn't come back after crash

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 22:19:30 -0400, chris gareau wrote:

    > comparing the desktop to the laptop kcontrol service manager settings
    > showed that the desktop has KDED KMRML daemon watcher installed in the
    > on demand services and the laptop doesn't have it.
    > searching in rpmdrak revealed nothing, what package is this component in.

    $ rpm -q -f /usr/lib/kde3/kded_daemonwatcher.so
    kdegraphics-mrmlsearch-3.5.4-7.2mdv2007.0

    Strange place for it, but give it a try.
    urpmi kdegraphics-mrmlsearch

    Regards, Dave Hodgins