Lost root password Mandriva 2007 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Lost root password Mandriva 2007 - Mandriva ; Ugh. I forgot my root password. I've tried escaping from Lilo and entering linux /s, linux single and linux 1. Each of these simply brings up the GUI, it doesn't boot into single user mode. I next tried excaping from ...

  1. Lost root password Mandriva 2007

    Ugh. I forgot my root password. I've tried escaping from Lilo and entering
    linux /s, linux single and linux 1. Each of these simply brings up the GUI,
    it doesn't boot into single user mode.

    I next tried excaping from Lilo and booting linux init=/bin/bash, but when I
    ran passwd it told me "Authentication token lock busy".

    Help?

  2. Re: Lost root password Mandriva 2007

    On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 14:55:53 -0700, Spheric wrote:

    > Ugh. I forgot my root password. I've tried escaping from Lilo and entering
    > linux /s, linux single and linux 1. Each of these simply brings up the GUI,
    > it doesn't boot into single user mode.
    >
    > I next tried excaping from Lilo and booting linux init=/bin/bash, but when I
    > ran passwd it told me "Authentication token lock busy".
    >
    > Help?

    Assuming you set up 'sudo' which you should have done, then you can do
    'sudo passwd' to reset root password. Otherwise, boot a Live CD, chroot to
    the root partition and do passwd.

  3. Re: Lost root password Mandriva 2007

    On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 14:55:53 -0700, Spheric wrote:
    > Ugh. I forgot my root password. I've tried escaping from Lilo and entering
    > linux /s, linux single and linux 1. Each of these simply brings up the GUI,
    > it doesn't boot into single user mode.

    I would try booting cd 1 in the rescue mode, mounting your / partition
    chroot /where/you/mounted_root
    passwd root
    new_pw_here
    new_pw_here
    shutdown -r now
    exit

  4. Re: Lost root password Mandriva 2007

    Spheric wrote:

    > Ugh. I forgot my root password. I've tried escaping from Lilo and entering
    > linux /s, linux single and linux 1. Each of these simply brings up the
    > GUI, it doesn't boot into single user mode.

    Strange, "linux 1" works for me. When you hit do you see a
    bare text only screen with a list of names from lilo.conf? Does that
    list include "linux"? No strange capitalization, or extra spaces?

    > I next tried excaping from Lilo and booting linux init=/bin/bash, but when
    > I ran passwd it told me "Authentication token lock busy".
    >
    > Help?

    Try booting from a live CD like Knoppix or Move, then you can remove
    root's password. I *think* the standard procedure is to delete the
    second field in /etc/shadow. Others might have better ideas.

    Of course, if you have a high security installation then just give
    up, backup, and reinstall.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  5. Re: Lost root password Mandriva 2007

    Quoth Peter D. :

    > Spheric wrote:
    >
    >> Ugh. I forgot my root password.

    > Of course, if you have a high security installation then just give
    > up, backup, and reinstall.

    Good point. And it might even be the most time-efficient.

    For me, even though it's nice to know how to do admin chores properly, I
    tend to approach things like this (actually I haven't yet forgotten a
    password!) on a "least resistance" basis.

    I have my initial package install list saved. I have my admin journal (Bit
    Twister needn't tell _me_ the same thing twice!) and important
    configurations _already_ backed up. I have /home on it's own partition.
    Yada yada... Start to finish this job would take me no more than 30
    minutes.

    On a personal system, those extra "whatnots" (games and such) which need
    re-installing can be taken care of over time on an as needed basis, easing
    the trauma.

    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  6. Re: Lost root password Mandriva 2007

    Spheric wrote:

    > Ugh. I forgot my root password. I've tried escaping from Lilo and entering
    > linux /s, linux single and linux 1. Each of these simply brings up the
    > GUI, it doesn't boot into single user mode.
    >
    > I next tried excaping from Lilo and booting linux init=/bin/bash, but when
    > I ran passwd it told me "Authentication token lock busy".
    >
    > Help?

    BitTwister's procedure worked (as usual). the only thing that threw me was
    the root path. when i booted with disk 1 of the install set, went into
    rescue and used the rescue-gui option to mount everything, i was able to
    chroot to /mnt which was where rescue mounted everything. then using passwd
    worked fine.

+ Reply to Thread