Repeated boot failure after re-installations - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Repeated boot failure after re-installations - Mandriva ; I am running Mdv2007, Discovery version, for the last three months. I do updates once a week from the official Mandriva site and did so two days ago. I updated all the packages offered. Don't really remember which these files ...

  1. Repeated boot failure after re-installations

    I am running Mdv2007, Discovery version, for the last three months. I do
    updates once a week from the official Mandriva site and did so two days
    ago. I updated all the packages offered. Don't really remember which these
    files were. All went well and the system continued to function properly.
    But when I booted up next time, it failed and I got the message that
    several file systems (partitions hda8, hda10, hda13, etc) are corrupted
    and unreadable. It asked me to give the root password to repair but that
    also failed. Ctrl-D started re-booting but the same problem recurred.

    I thought that somehow the system has got corrupted and re-installed
    M2007, using the same configuration and formatted only the "/" and "/usr"
    partitions. The system installed OK and at the end of installation
    re-booted normally. It worked fine until the next bootup when the same
    problem recurred. I re-installed the system this time formatting all but
    the "/home" directory. Again the system installed and worked until the
    next bootup. I suspected that some section of the disk might be damaged.
    So for next re-install I changed the partitioning manually of all the
    sections excepting "/home". But the problem persisted.

    I have tried rebooting immediately after the reboot following installation
    without changing anything, but the same problem occurs even then.

    I am at a loss what could be the cause and what should I do next. I am
    running the system without re-booting for the moment but I hate to leave
    the computer on perpetually, burning electricity when I actually use it
    for only 3-4 hours a day. Is it possible that several sections of the hard
    disk got damaged simultaneously ? But then how the system is working after
    a fresh install. Specifically, it works flawlessly after the first reboot
    following installation. The WinXP on the same drive works fine.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    --
    jabali

  2. Re: Repeated boot failure after re-installations

    Jabali Pragya a écrit :
    > I am running Mdv2007, Discovery version, for the last three months. I do
    > updates once a week from the official Mandriva site and did so two days
    > ago. I updated all the packages offered. Don't really remember which these
    > files were. All went well and the system continued to function properly.
    > But when I booted up next time, it failed and I got the message that
    > several file systems (partitions hda8, hda10, hda13, etc) are corrupted
    > and unreadable. It asked me to give the root password to repair but that
    > also failed. Ctrl-D started re-booting but the same problem recurred.
    >
    > I thought that somehow the system has got corrupted and re-installed
    > M2007, using the same configuration and formatted only the "/" and "/usr"
    > partitions. The system installed OK and at the end of installation
    > re-booted normally. It worked fine until the next bootup when the same
    > problem recurred. I re-installed the system this time formatting all but
    > the "/home" directory. Again the system installed and worked until the
    > next bootup. I suspected that some section of the disk might be damaged.
    > So for next re-install I changed the partitioning manually of all the
    > sections excepting "/home". But the problem persisted.
    >
    > I have tried rebooting immediately after the reboot following installation
    > without changing anything, but the same problem occurs even then.
    >
    > I am at a loss what could be the cause and what should I do next. I am
    > running the system without re-booting for the moment but I hate to leave
    > the computer on perpetually, burning electricity when I actually use it
    > for only 3-4 hours a day. Is it possible that several sections of the hard
    > disk got damaged simultaneously ? But then how the system is working after
    > a fresh install. Specifically, it works flawlessly after the first reboot
    > following installation. The WinXP on the same drive works fine.
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Hi

    1/ What's your machine and mobo ?
    They are problems with some ASUS mobo. On the Mandriva site, there is an
    erratum about it

    2/ Check your memory chips with memtest86 (Search Google for the .iso,
    burn a bootable CD, boot on it, test memory for one or two hours)

    3/ Install (or enable if it's already installed) smartmontools package
    and check SMART (It monitors the HD, looking for future failures)

    And (Who knows... I've seen it one time, it may cause problems in
    rc.sysinit)
    4/ Unplug USB devices like USB Hard disks and USB memory key before you boot

    hih

    DDx

  3. Re: Repeated boot failure after re-installations

    On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 15:03:20 +0100, DDx wrote:

    Thanks DnoyB & DDx. I shall follow the steps suggested and see what
    happens. For the time being I shall leave the computer running until I can
    get through the suggested things. My PC is quite old (7 years) though the
    hard disk is less than 2 years old. The PC has no badged name - I bought
    it from our local shop. Good thing about that shopowner is that he is happy
    to sale a PC without a new copy of Windows. Unfortunately, he is totally
    Linux-blind and can't help.

    Thanks again
    --
    jabali