network name resolution not reliable - Mandriva

This is a discussion on network name resolution not reliable - Mandriva ; I am haveing trouble with my laptop and desktop accessing other computers on the network. they can see all the other computers. my p4 desktop sam's amd windows desktop my laptop my computers run mandriva 2007 the p4 most of ...

  1. network name resolution not reliable

    I am haveing trouble with my laptop and desktop accessing other
    computers on the network.

    they can see all the other computers.
    my p4 desktop
    sam's amd windows desktop
    my laptop

    my computers run mandriva 2007

    the p4 most of the time can c and access the windows machine and itself
    fine, but not always the laptop.

    the laptop can't access anything but itself and the router (dlink)
    unless I use the ip address, but of a headake to have to type inthe ip
    all the time.

    what can i put on the linux boxes to helpwith this proble, or is there a
    way to configur the lisa demon to fix this.

    I am using konquere to brows the network (lan://localhost/somthing)

    I have reconfigured lisa on the 2 computers 16 ways from sunday, the p4
    seems to be fine at the moment but the laptop can't access anything.

    cups on the laptop can c the printers on the p4 no problems. incase this
    is relivent,(network connectivity)

  2. Re: network name resolution not reliable

    On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:19:13 GMT, chris gareau wrote:
    > I am haveing trouble with my laptop and desktop accessing other
    > computers on the network.
    >
    > they can see all the other computers.
    > my p4 desktop
    > sam's amd windows desktop
    > my laptop
    >
    > my computers run mandriva 2007

    if all the systems have all the other systems in their hosts file you
    should be able to access by name. I have the same hosts file on all my
    system.

    $ hostname
    wb.home.invalid

    $ cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.2.1 fw.home.invalid fw
    192.168.2.12 wb1.home.invalid wb1
    192.168.2.30 wb.home.invalid wb
    192.168.2.60 scsi.home.invalid scsi
    192.168.2.215 m2007.home.invalid m2007
    192.168.2.206 2006oe.home.invalid 2006oe
    192.168.2.210 kubuntu.home.invalid kubuntu
    192.168.2.211 ubuntu.home.invalid ubuntu
    192.168.2.212 ulteo.home.invalid ulteo
    192.168.2.213 fedora.home.invalid fedora
    192.168.2.212 ubuntu.home.invalid ubuntu
    192.168.2.214 suse.home.invalid suse
    192.168.2.22 wb4.home.invalid wb4
    192.168.100.1 cable.modem.invalid cable

  3. Re: network name resolution not reliable

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:19:13 GMT, chris gareau wrote:
    >> I am haveing trouble with my laptop and desktop accessing other
    >> computers on the network.
    >>
    >> they can see all the other computers.
    >> my p4 desktop
    >> sam's amd windows desktop
    >> my laptop
    >>
    >> my computers run mandriva 2007

    > if all the systems have all the other systems in their hosts file you
    > should be able to access by name. I have the same hosts file on all my
    > system.
    >

    > $ hostname
    > wb.home.invalid
    >
    > $ cat /etc/hosts
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost
    > 192.168.2.1 fw.home.invalid fw
    > 192.168.2.12 wb1.home.invalid wb1
    > 192.168.2.30 wb.home.invalid wb
    > 192.168.2.60 scsi.home.invalid scsi
    > 192.168.2.215 m2007.home.invalid m2007
    > 192.168.2.206 2006oe.home.invalid 2006oe
    > 192.168.2.210 kubuntu.home.invalid kubuntu
    > 192.168.2.211 ubuntu.home.invalid ubuntu
    > 192.168.2.212 ulteo.home.invalid ulteo
    > 192.168.2.213 fedora.home.invalid fedora
    > 192.168.2.212 ubuntu.home.invalid ubuntu
    > 192.168.2.214 suse.home.invalid suse
    > 192.168.2.22 wb4.home.invalid wb4
    > 192.168.100.1 cable.modem.invalid cable

    if I do that and take the laptop to another network with the same ips
    wil I gt computers there showing up and computers frommy network????

  4. Re: network name resolution not reliable

    On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 01:25:57 GMT, chris gareau wrote:

    >> $ cat /etc/hosts
    >> 127.0.0.1 localhost
    >> 192.168.2.1 fw.home.invalid fw
    >> 192.168.2.12 wb1.home.invalid wb1

    > if I do that and take the laptop to another network with the same ips
    > wil I gt computers there showing up and computers frommy network????

    The hosts file maps a name to an IP address. Change to another
    network, and the names remain the same for the IP address.

  5. Re: network name resolution not reliable

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 01:25:57 GMT, chris gareau wrote:
    >>> $ cat /etc/hosts
    >>> 127.0.0.1 localhost
    >>> 192.168.2.1 fw.home.invalid fw
    >>> 192.168.2.12 wb1.home.invalid wb1

    >> if I do that and take the laptop to another network with the same ips
    >> wil I gt computers there showing up and computers frommy network????

    > The hosts file maps a name to an IP address. Change to another
    > network, and the names remain the same for the IP address.

    ok so I may have to change how my router assigns ips then to avoide
    confusion.

    is there a way to get the builtin name resolutin to keep this info accurate.

    I tried the hosts thing and it worked fine, I am just woried about when
    I take the laptop elseware and the confusion that could resalt from the
    hosts file stuff

  6. Re: network name resolution not reliable

    chris gareau wrote:

    > Bit Twister wrote:

    >>> if I do that and take the laptop to another network with the same ips
    >>> wil I gt computers there showing up and computers frommy network????

    >> The hosts file maps a name to an IP address. Change to another
    >> network, and the names remain the same for the IP address.
    >>

    > ok so I may have to change how my router assigns ips then to avoide
    > confusion.
    >
    > is there a way to get the builtin name resolutin to keep this info
    > accurate.
    >
    > I tried the hosts thing and it worked fine, I am just woried about when
    > I take the laptop elseware and the confusion that could resalt from the
    > hosts file stuff

    One way to do it is to set up a static DHCP server based on MAC
    addresses. My router has that facility. Once built, and set up, it can
    be dumped to a disk drive, and used to set up other routers, or
    re-install the existing setup after catastrophic failure at the router
    level.

    You could probably do the same thing on a Linux virtual machine. Maybe
    someone has.

    Donald

  7. Re: network name resolution not reliable

    donald tees wrote:
    > chris gareau wrote:
    >>

    >> Bit Twister wrote:

    >>> The hosts file maps a name to an IP address. Change to another
    >>> network, and the names remain the same for the IP address.
    >>>

    >> ok so I may have to change how my router assigns ips then to avoide
    >> confusion.
    >>
    >> is there a way to get the builtin name resolutin to keep this info
    >> accurate.
    >>
    >> I tried the hosts thing and it worked fine, I am just woried about
    >> when I take the laptop elseware and the confusion that could resalt
    >> from the hosts file stuff

    > One way to do it is to set up a static DHCP server based on MAC
    > addresses. My router has that facility. Once built, and set up, it can
    > be dumped to a disk drive, and used to set up other routers, or
    > re-install the existing setup after catastrophic failure at the router
    > level.
    >
    > You could probably do the same thing on a Linux virtual machine. Maybe
    > someone has.
    >
    > Donald

    my router is configured for static dhcp, I did that so when I had to use
    the ip address to get at a computer I knew where it was.

+ Reply to Thread