Another good thing about Linux - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Another good thing about Linux - Mandriva ; I was at work the other day using Windows and tried to open two different files with the same filename but in different folders. Of course I got the error message saying this is not possible. It got me thinking ...

  1. Another good thing about Linux

    I was at work the other day using Windows and tried to open two different
    files with the same filename but in different folders. Of course I got the
    error message saying this is not possible.

    It got me thinking so I've just tried it to see what Linux does. Two .txt
    files with the same name opened without problems in two KWrite windows.
    Also no problem with two .odt files in OpenOffice.org.

    Who says this Linux thing is difficult?

  2. Re: Another good thing about Linux

    On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 20:30:28 +0000, johnboy wrote:

    > I was at work the other day using Windows and tried to open two different
    > files with the same filename but in different folders. Of course I got the
    > error message saying this is not possible.
    >
    > It got me thinking so I've just tried it to see what Linux does. Two .txt
    > files with the same name opened without problems in two KWrite windows.
    > Also no problem with two .odt files in OpenOffice.org.
    >
    > Who says this Linux thing is difficult?

    I am still trying to learn how to add an attachment to an email, so this
    linux **** is way over my head

  3. Re: Another good thing about Linux

    Bacchus wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 20:30:28 +0000, johnboy wrote:
    >
    >> I was at work the other day using Windows and tried to open two different
    >> files with the same filename but in different folders. Of course I got the
    >> error message saying this is not possible.
    >>
    >> It got me thinking so I've just tried it to see what Linux does. Two .txt
    >> files with the same name opened without problems in two KWrite windows.
    >> Also no problem with two .odt files in OpenOffice.org.
    >>
    >> Who says this Linux thing is difficult?

    > I am still trying to learn how to add an attachment to an email, so this
    > linux **** is way over my head

    what email client r u using and we will help

  4. Re: Another good thing about Linux

    johnboy wrote:
    > I was at work the other day using Windows and tried to open two different
    > files with the same filename but in different folders. Of course I got the
    > error message saying this is not possible.
    >
    > It got me thinking so I've just tried it to see what Linux does. Two .txt
    > files with the same name opened without problems in two KWrite windows.
    > Also no problem with two .odt files in OpenOffice.org.
    >
    > Who says this Linux thing is difficult?

    Hmm, what version of Windows you running? I open documents of the same
    name but different paths all the time while working on PHP scripts.
    Never really seem to have an issue.

  5. Re: Another good thing about Linux

    On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:46:49 +0000, chris gareau wrote:

    > Bacchus wrote:
    >> On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 20:30:28 +0000, johnboy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was at work the other day using Windows and tried to open two different
    >>> files with the same filename but in different folders. Of course I got the
    >>> error message saying this is not possible.
    >>>
    >>> It got me thinking so I've just tried it to see what Linux does. Two .txt
    >>> files with the same name opened without problems in two KWrite windows.
    >>> Also no problem with two .odt files in OpenOffice.org.
    >>>
    >>> Who says this Linux thing is difficult?

    >> I am still trying to learn how to add an attachment to an email, so this
    >> linux **** is way over my head
    >>

    > what email client r u using and we will help

    huh, its a joke.....

  6. Re: Another good thing about Linux

    Bacchus wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:46:49 +0000, chris gareau wrote:
    >
    >> Bacchus wrote:

    >>> I am still trying to learn how to add an attachment to an email, so this
    >>> linux **** is way over my head
    >>>

    >> what email client r u using and we will help

    > huh, its a joke.....

    ok, confuse me, an lol at the end of that line would have told me that!!

  7. Re: Another good thing about Linux

    eric wrote:
    > johnboy wrote:
    >> I was at work the other day using Windows and tried to open two different
    >> files with the same filename but in different folders. Of course I got
    >> the
    >> error message saying this is not possible.
    >>
    >> It got me thinking so I've just tried it to see what Linux does. Two .txt
    >> files with the same name opened without problems in two KWrite windows.
    >> Also no problem with two .odt files in OpenOffice.org.
    >>
    >> Who says this Linux thing is difficult?

    > Hmm, what version of Windows you running? I open documents of the same
    > name but different paths all the time while working on PHP scripts.
    > Never really seem to have an issue.

    And what was he opening them with? I cut and paste from different
    versions of the same file on both platforms, commonly.

    Donald

  8. Re: Another good thing about Linux

    Quoth chris gareau :

    > Bacchus wrote:

    >>> what email client r u using and we will help

    >> huh, its a joke.....

    > ok, confuse me, an lol at the end of that line would have told me that!!

    I can tell a joke without laughing out loud. Of course, I've never been an
    AOL idiot. (There's probably little debate about me being an a.o.l.m.
    idiot, however.)

    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  9. Re: Another good thing about Linux

    Bacchus wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 20:30:28 +0000, johnboy wrote:
    >
    >> I was at work the other day using Windows and tried to open two different
    >> files with the same filename but in different folders. Of course I got the
    >> error message saying this is not possible.
    >>
    >> It got me thinking so I've just tried it to see what Linux does. Two .txt
    >> files with the same name opened without problems in two KWrite windows.
    >> Also no problem with two .odt files in OpenOffice.org.
    >>
    >> Who says this Linux thing is difficult?

    > I am still trying to learn how to add an attachment to an email, so this
    > linux **** is way over my head

    How is this a Linux problem? It sound more like that the email program
    is more "way over your head" Perhaps you need to learn more about you
    email client and how it works.

  10. Re: Another good thing about Linux

    donald tees wrote:
    > eric wrote:
    >
    >> johnboy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was at work the other day using Windows and tried to open two
    >>> different
    >>> files with the same filename but in different folders. Of course I
    >>> got the
    >>> error message saying this is not possible.
    >>>
    >>> It got me thinking so I've just tried it to see what Linux does. Two
    >>> .txt
    >>> files with the same name opened without problems in two KWrite windows.
    >>> Also no problem with two .odt files in OpenOffice.org.
    >>>
    >>> Who says this Linux thing is difficult?

    >> Hmm, what version of Windows you running? I open documents of the
    >> same name but different paths all the time while working on PHP
    >> scripts. Never really seem to have an issue.

    > And what was he opening them with? I cut and paste from different
    > versions of the same file on both platforms, commonly.

    Excel probably. A single instance of Excel will not open two worksheets
    with the same name, even if they are in different directories. But it's
    a program limitation, not an OS one.

    Frank

  11. Re: Another good thing about Linux

    chris gareau wrote:

    > Bacchus wrote:

    >>> what email client r u using and we will help

    >> huh, its a joke.....

    > ok, confuse me, an lol at the end of that line would have told me that!!

    He should laugh at his own jokes? How wude.

  12. Re: Another good thing about Linux

    On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:25:01 -0700, David wrote:

    >> I am still trying to learn how to add an attachment to an email, so this
    >> linux **** is way over my head
    >>

    > How is this a Linux problem? It sound more like that the email program
    > is more "way over your head" Perhaps you need to learn more about you
    > email client and how it works.

    ROFL.

  13. Re: Another good thing about Linux

    > Excel probably. A single instance of Excel will not open two worksheets
    > with the same name, even if they are in different directories. But it's
    > a program limitation, not an OS one.

    Yes. It was Excel. Thanks for all the replies.

    I've just tried the same for two .xls files on OpenOffice.org and no
    problem at all. I imagine this would be the same on Windows.

  14. Re: Another good thing about Linux

    On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 14:32:05 GMT, "johnboy"
    wrote:

    >> Excel probably. A single instance of Excel will not open two worksheets
    >> with the same name, even if they are in different directories. But it's
    >> a program limitation, not an OS one.

    >Yes. It was Excel. Thanks for all the replies.
    >
    >I've just tried the same for two .xls files on OpenOffice.org and no
    >problem at all. I imagine this would be the same on Windows.

    I have had the same problem in Excel. If you minimize the first file
    the second one will open, it is a pain in the ass to cut and paste
    because you can't have both files maximized at the same time.

    Harvie