New Kernel now mouse problems - Mandriva

This is a discussion on New Kernel now mouse problems - Mandriva ; I got brave a while back and installed a new kernel. Which,although Im not a teckie,did not go too bad. The one problem being the mouse wheel just doesnt work right. When I roll the wheel sometimes it moves and ...

  1. New Kernel now mouse problems

    I got brave a while back and installed a new kernel.
    Which,although Im not a teckie,did not go too bad.
    The one problem being the mouse wheel just doesnt work right.
    When I roll the wheel sometimes it moves and sometimes it doesnt.
    I went into mcc and tried to pick a different ps/2 mouse but
    that didnt help.
    How do I fix this up ?
    Tia,Dale

    mandriva 2006
    kde 3.4.2
    uname -r
    2.6.12-27mdk

  2. Re: New Kernel now mouse problems

    dale's news stuff wrote:
    > I got brave a while back and installed a new kernel.
    > The one problem being the mouse wheel just doesnt work right.
    > When I roll the wheel sometimes it moves and sometimes it doesnt.
    > I went into mcc and tried to pick a different ps/2 mouse but
    > that didnt help.
    > How do I fix this up ?

    > mandriva 2006
    > kde 3.4.2
    > uname -r
    > 2.6.12-27mdk

    First, check your connections and make sure that everything
    is solidly plugged in.

    Second, if possible, use a different mouse and see it it has
    the same problem. Erratic mouse is usually a hardware problem.

    But, if you believe the hardware is good, go to /etc/X11 and
    see if you don't have two or more versions of xorg.conf.
    In it, you will find a section for the mouse that will look
    something like the following.

    Section "InputDevice"$
    Identifier "Mouse1"$
    Driver "mouse"$
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"$
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"$
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"$
    EndSection$

    If you have a new xorg.conf file with this section different
    from the same section in an earlier xorg.conf file, copy your
    current xorg.conf to a backup version and modify the current
    mouse settings to match those that worked.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    Unix is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: New Kernel now mouse problems

    So then this guy called dale's news stuff said something like:

    > I got brave a while back and installed a new kernel.
    > Which,although Im not a teckie,did not go too bad.
    > The one problem being the mouse wheel just doesnt work right.
    > When I roll the wheel sometimes it moves and sometimes it doesnt.
    > I went into mcc and tried to pick a different ps/2 mouse but
    > that didnt help.
    > How do I fix this up ?
    > Tia,Dale
    >
    > mandriva 2006
    > kde 3.4.2
    > uname -r
    > 2.6.12-27mdk

    New kernel? That's not a new kernel. My mouse wheel works fine with
    2.6.20.4

    What happens if you use the 'old' kernel?

    --
    Tim Fairchild - Queensland Australia
    Mandriva Linux release 2007.0 (Official) for x86_64

  4. Re: New Kernel now mouse problems

    Tim Fairchild wrote:
    > So then this guy called dale's news stuff said something like:
    >
    >> I got brave a while back and installed a new kernel.
    >> mandriva 2006
    >> kde 3.4.2
    >> uname -r
    >> 2.6.12-27mdk

    > New kernel? That's not a new kernel. My mouse wheel works fine with
    > 2.6.20.4

    Be nice. It is _a_ new kernel, not _the_ new kernel.
    2.6.12-27mdk is much newer than the kernel originally installed
    for 2006. And if you stay with the 2006 Official updates, the
    newest is only 2.6.12-31mdk, unless Mandriva has posted one
    without my noticing.

    > What happens if you use the 'old' kernel?

    That is a good question!

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --