Re: How to set up telnet - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Re: How to set up telnet - Mandriva ; On Apr 3, 9:59 am, Whiskers wrote: > On 2007-04-03, shed...@gmail.com wrote: > > > On Apr 2, 4:20 pm, Whiskers wrote: > >> On 2007-04-02, shed...@gmail.com wrote: > > Of course, what really needs sorting out, is the reason ...

  1. Re: How to set up telnet

    On Apr 3, 9:59 am, Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2007-04-03, shed...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > On Apr 2, 4:20 pm, Whiskers wrote:
    > >> On 2007-04-02, shed...@gmail.com wrote:

    < snip>
    > Of course, what really needs sorting out, is the reason for the original
    > problem, rather than ways of getting out of it once it has happened. When
    > you are logged in via ssh next time this happes, try running
    >
    > ps -e
    >
    > or
    >
    > top
    >
    > to see if you can spot which process is causing the problem, and kill it.
    > That at least saves re-booting and possibly losing stuff, and should help
    > to diagnose the actual problem.

    It's X, mostly. Or to be more precise, AIGLX. A lot of the eye candy
    is turned on. THen I had to push it by going to KDE's translucency,
    which I have been trying to switch off. That window won't show me the
    tab contents under translucency unless I maximize, then restore, the
    window--like a refresh. Konsole won't show me what I'm typing unless I
    do a similar refresh. It's a weird thing that could send the ATI folks
    back to their labs, if they had such folk. What I'm doing now is
    slowly unchecking those pieces until I am left with a workable cube.
    Well not really a cube--it spans two monitors =)

  2. Re: How to set up telnet

    On 2007-04-04, shedied@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Apr 3, 9:59 am, Whiskers wrote:

    > < snip>
    >> Of course, what really needs sorting out, is the reason for the original
    >> problem, rather than ways of getting out of it once it has happened. When
    >> you are logged in via ssh next time this happes, try running
    >>
    >> ps -e
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> top
    >>
    >> to see if you can spot which process is causing the problem, and kill it.
    >> That at least saves re-booting and possibly losing stuff, and should help
    >> to diagnose the actual problem.

    > It's X, mostly. Or to be more precise, AIGLX. A lot of the eye candy
    > is turned on. THen I had to push it by going to KDE's translucency,
    > which I have been trying to switch off. That window won't show me the
    > tab contents under translucency unless I maximize, then restore, the
    > window--like a refresh. Konsole won't show me what I'm typing unless I
    > do a similar refresh. It's a weird thing that could send the ATI folks
    > back to their labs, if they had such folk. What I'm doing now is
    > slowly unchecking those pieces until I am left with a workable cube.
    > Well not really a cube--it spans two monitors =)

    This sounds almost like an exercise in quantum physics

    --
    -- Whiskers

+ Reply to Thread