What can play/convert DRM encripted WMAs under Linux? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on What can play/convert DRM encripted WMAs under Linux? - Mandriva ; I recently downloaded a music file. Unfortunately, the song was only available in DRM encripted WMA format. I don't seem to have anything that can play it - even on Windoze! I haven't got Windoze Media Player version 9 or ...

  1. What can play/convert DRM encripted WMAs under Linux?

    I recently downloaded a music file. Unfortunately, the song was only
    available in DRM encripted WMA format. I don't seem to have anything
    that can play it - even on Windoze! I haven't got Windoze Media Player
    version 9 or above (which is what the instructions say it needs), and
    since I'm as yet only on a slow dial-up connection with download
    limits (Oh, I can't wait 'til I get broadband!), I'm not about to
    download its fat, bloated arse anytime soon!!! Screw Mickey$oft!
    I've tried playing the file with every sound player I've got on
    Linux, but none of them will play it.
    So, is there some tool that can convert an encripted WMA to WAV, MP3
    or other format? Or, failing that, is there something that can simply
    play the damned thing?

    http://alphalink.com.au/~phaywood/

  2. Re: What can play/convert DRM encripted WMAs under Linux?

    Quoth Peter Shaggy Haywood :

    > I recently downloaded a music file. Unfortunately, the song was only
    > available in DRM encripted WMA format. I don't seem to have anything
    > that can play it - even on Windoze! I haven't got Windoze Media Player
    > version 9 or above (which is what the instructions say it needs), and
    > since I'm as yet only on a slow dial-up connection with download
    > limits (Oh, I can't wait 'til I get broadband!), I'm not about to
    > download its fat, bloated arse anytime soon!!! Screw Mickey$oft!
    > I've tried playing the file with every sound player I've got on
    > Linux, but none of them will play it.
    > So, is there some tool that can convert an encripted WMA to WAV, MP3
    > or other format? Or, failing that, is there something that can simply
    > play the damned thing?

    Well, since... X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.11/32.235

    I would suggest... Windoze Media Player version 9

    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  3. Re: What can play/convert DRM encripted WMAs under Linux?

    On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:12:18 +0000, Big Yellow Hats wrote:

    > Quoth Peter Shaggy Haywood :
    >
    >> I recently downloaded a music file. Unfortunately, the song was only
    >> available in DRM encripted WMA format. I don't seem to have anything
    >> that can play it - even on Windoze! I haven't got Windoze Media Player
    >> version 9 or above (which is what the instructions say it needs), and
    >> since I'm as yet only on a slow dial-up connection with download
    >> limits (Oh, I can't wait 'til I get broadband!), I'm not about to
    >> download its fat, bloated arse anytime soon!!! Screw Mickey$oft!
    >> I've tried playing the file with every sound player I've got on
    >> Linux, but none of them will play it.
    >> So, is there some tool that can convert an encripted WMA to WAV, MP3
    >> or other format? Or, failing that, is there something that can simply
    >> play the damned thing?
    >>

    > Well, since... X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.11/32.235
    >
    > I would suggest... Windoze Media Player version 9

    Oh dear. The OP says that they do does not have WMP V9.

    Now offer a solution to the OP problem and another will join our ranks.

    Ms Penguin has always said keep the standards open and allow the freedom.
    The war of DRM is one of the end of the first decade of the twenty first
    century.

    I believe the masses will win over the "others".

  4. Re: What can play/convert DRM encripted WMAs under Linux?

    Quoth Blue :

    > On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:12:18 +0000, Big Yellow Hats wrote:
    >
    >> Quoth Peter Shaggy Haywood :
    >>
    >>> I recently downloaded a music file. Unfortunately, the song was only
    >>> available in DRM encripted WMA format. I don't seem to have anything
    >>> that can play it - even on Windoze! I haven't got Windoze Media Player
    >>> version 9 or above (which is what the instructions say it needs), and
    >>> since I'm as yet only on a slow dial-up connection with download
    >>> limits (Oh, I can't wait 'til I get broadband!), I'm not about to
    >>> download its fat, bloated arse anytime soon!!! Screw Mickey$oft!
    >>> I've tried playing the file with every sound player I've got on
    >>> Linux, but none of them will play it.
    >>> So, is there some tool that can convert an encripted WMA to WAV, MP3
    >>> or other format? Or, failing that, is there something that can simply
    >>> play the damned thing?
    >>>

    >> Well, since... X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.11/32.235
    >>
    >> I would suggest... Windoze Media Player version 9

    > Oh dear. The OP says that they do does not have WMP V9.
    >
    > Now offer a solution to the OP problem and another will join our ranks.
    >
    > Ms Penguin has always said keep the standards open and allow the freedom.

    The OP has been accused of being a "wintroll"; I've never witnessed any
    evidence to the contrary (i.e he's been around a long time and apparently
    never "seen the light") and this off-topic thread certainly doesn't
    dissuade me. You, however, are just accused of being silly. ;P

    > The war of DRM is one of the end of the first decade of the twenty first
    > century.
    >
    > I believe the masses will win over the "others".

    I'm a conscientious objector.

    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  5. Re: What can play/convert DRM encripted WMAs under Linux?

    Groovy hepcat Big Yellow Hats was jivin' on Thu, 05 Apr 2007 11:55:14
    GMT in alt.os.linux.mandriva.
    Re: What can play/convert DRM encripted WMAs under Linux?'s a cool
    scene! Dig it!

    >Quoth Blue :
    >
    >> On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:12:18 +0000, Big Yellow Hats wrote:
    >>
    >>> Quoth Peter Shaggy Haywood :

    >>> Well, since... X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.11/32.235
    >>>
    >>> I would suggest... Windoze Media Player version 9

    >> Oh dear. The OP says that they do does not have WMP V9.
    >>
    >> Now offer a solution to the OP problem and another will join our ranks.
    >>
    >> Ms Penguin has always said keep the standards open and allow the freedom.

    > The OP has been accused of being a "wintroll"; I've never witnessed any

    Perrish the thought! I'm only using Windoze to connect to the Net
    since I have been unable as yet to connect using Linux. I have never
    said or done anything in my life to uphold or laud Microstuffed
    products, and am very much a Linux convert, notwithstanding my
    problems connecting to the Net. I am looking for a Linux tool to
    convert a file so that I can use it on Linux. If you can't help me,
    then kindly resist the urge to post drivel!

    http://alphalink.com.au/~phaywood/

  6. Re: What can play/convert DRM encripted WMAs under Linux?

    On Friday 06 Apr 2007 09:00, Peter Shaggy Haywood wrote:

    > Perrish the thought! I'm only using Windoze to connect to the Net
    > since I have been unable as yet to connect using Linux.

    .... righto. Modem? ASDL? ISDN?

    > I am looking for a Linux tool to convert a file so that I can use it on
    > Linux.

    Did you look for yourself first?
    http://tinyurl.com/2b9bzy

    > If you can't help me, then kindly resist the urge to post drivel!

    Wise words, especially the last 7. Take heed.

  7. Re: What can play/convert DRM encripted WMAs under Linux?

    Quoth Dave :

    > On Friday 06 Apr 2007 09:00, Peter Shaggy Haywood wrote:
    >
    >> Perrish the thought! I'm only using Windoze to connect to the Net
    >> since I have been unable as yet to connect using Linux.

    > ... righto. Modem? ASDL? ISDN?

    Bait, meet Fish. Fish, meet Bait. Take heed yourself. We all know how
    easy it is to connect a Linux machine. I sense a run-around up coming
    (or, more likely, a non-response). Although, it'd be nice if he finally
    stopped the bull**** and actually posted to the Mandriva group from
    Mandriva.

    >> I am looking for a Linux tool to convert a file so that I can use it on
    >> Linux.

    > Did you look for yourself first?
    > http://tinyurl.com/2b9bzy

    Where's the help in, "Search google."? Did _you_ look at any of the
    results, yourself? If you had you would've seen that my original reply
    is, in fact, the most common... e.g. with the caveat "Run under Wine."

    Don't play holier than me, when your advice is no better, and in fact no
    different.

    (Furthermore, use google yourself to see just how long Mr. Shaggy has been
    posting from windows. Hint: 'tis a long time.)

    >> If you can't help me, then kindly resist the urge to post drivel!

    > Wise words, especially the last 7. Take heed.

    Where's the wisdom in "I know you are, but what am I?" ? The best advice I
    can give this particular clown is: Don't try to disguise off-topic
    threads. Especially important, don't allow such threads to smell like a
    troll. Stop the bull**** excuses, post from Linux, and when posting to
    this group make your questions specific to Mandriva.

    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  8. Re: What can play/convert DRM encripted WMAs under Linux?

    Groovy hepcat Dave was jivin' on Fri, 06 Apr 2007 09:13:37 +0100 in
    alt.os.linux.mandriva.
    Re: What can play/convert DRM encripted WMAs under Linux?'s a cool
    scene! Dig it!

    >On Friday 06 Apr 2007 09:00, Peter Shaggy Haywood wrote:
    >
    >> Perrish the thought! I'm only using Windoze to connect to the Net
    >> since I have been unable as yet to connect using Linux.

    >... righto. Modem? ASDL? ISDN?

    I'll post about that in another thread in a few days.

    >> I am looking for a Linux tool to convert a file so that I can use it on
    >> Linux.

    >Did you look for yourself first?
    >http://tinyurl.com/2b9bzy

    I've searched Google, and all I could find (with one exception) was
    large, overly bloated Windoze programs that are going to be a bitch to
    download with my dial up access, most of which require a newer version
    of Windoze and/or Media Player 9 or higher to be installed (defeating
    the whole purpose).
    The one exception was a portable program with several Linux versions
    as well as Win & Mac versions. But it's also a very large download. If
    I can't find anything smaller, though, I might try this.
    In the mean time I'll keep looking.

    http://alphalink.com.au/~phaywood/

  9. Re: What can play/convert DRM encripted WMAs under Linux?

    Groovy hepcat Peter "Shaggy" Haywood was jivin' on Tue, 10 Apr 2007
    09:31:23 GMT in alt.os.linux.mandriva.
    Re: What can play/convert DRM encripted WMAs under Linux?'s a cool
    scene! Dig it!

    >Groovy hepcat Dave was jivin' on Fri, 06 Apr 2007 09:13:37 +0100 in
    >
    >>On Friday 06 Apr 2007 09:00, Peter Shaggy Haywood wrote:
    >>
    >>> Perrish the thought! I'm only using Windoze to connect to the Net
    >>> since I have been unable as yet to connect using Linux.

    >>... righto. Modem? ASDL? ISDN?

    > I'll post about that in another thread in a few days.

    Actually, I don't need to post about that now. I wanted a few days
    to review and remember what I had tried in attempting to get online
    using Linux. While doing so, I found something I hadn't tried. I tried
    it and it worked. YAY! I'm now online using Linux, and I love it!
    I'm using FreeAgent (Losedows program) under wine to post this. But
    this will probably be the last time I use it. I'll be using knode from
    now on... assuming I've correctly set it up.

    http://alphalink.com.au/~phaywood/

  10. Re: What can play/convert DRM encripted WMAs under Linux?

    Quoth Peter Shaggy Haywood :

    > Groovy hepcat Peter "Shaggy" Haywood was jivin' on Tue, 10 Apr 2007
    > 09:31:23 GMT in alt.os.linux.mandriva.
    > Re: What can play/convert DRM encripted WMAs under Linux?'s a cool
    > scene! Dig it!
    >
    >>Groovy hepcat Dave was jivin' on Fri, 06 Apr 2007 09:13:37 +0100 in

    >>>... righto. Modem? ASDL? ISDN?

    >> I'll post about that in another thread in a few days.

    > Actually, I don't need to post about that now. I wanted a few days
    > to review and remember what I had tried in attempting to get online
    > using Linux. While doing so, I found something I hadn't tried. I tried
    > it and it worked. YAY! I'm now online using Linux, and I love it!
    > I'm using FreeAgent (Losedows program) under wine to post this. But
    > this will probably be the last time I use it. I'll be using knode from
    > now on... assuming I've correctly set it up.

    See? Pretty funny.

    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.