    from another terminal (logged on as someone else) I have to give him
    the rights all over again. How can I make mandriva stop this behavior?

  2. Re: Pet peeve: /dev/dsp not available to everyone

    On 2007-04-04, shedied@gmail.com wrote:
    > It seems that whoever was the last person to use sound becomes the
    > sole exclusive owner of the device, and if I try to play some music
    > from another terminal (logged on as someone else) I have to give him
    > the rights all over again. How can I make mandriva stop this behavior?

    Are all users in the 'audio' group? If not, put them there
    before going any further.

    Assuming you're running 2007, the files in directory
    /etc/security/console.perms.d control those permissions. It
    looks to me like sound is set up to allow group permission,
    but maybe the device nodes are in a different group than
    audio when someone's logged in to a console. I'm not fluent
    in the language those files are written in, so you'll
    probably end up understanding them better than I do.
    There's a man page for console.perms.

    I never liked the whole console.perms idea, because it
    assumed the one-user-per-system notion made popular by the
    big company from Redmond, WA.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  3. Re: Pet peeve: /dev/dsp not available to everyone

    On 3 Apr 2007 17:24:27 -0700, shedied@gmail.com wrote:
    > It seems that whoever was the last person to use sound becomes the
    > sole exclusive owner of the device, and if I try to play some music
    > from another terminal (logged on as someone else) I have to give him
    > the rights all over again. How can I make mandriva stop this behavior?

    My solution is to have everone in the audio group. No dinking with
    config files required.
    Use the Mandriva Control Center, click System, Add, remove or change
    users of the system, double click a user, click the Groups tab in the
    new popup, click the Audio group check box, and your done,

    Next time that user logs in they should be able to share the audio
    devices.

  4. Re: Pet peeve: /dev/dsp not available to everyone

    shedied@gmail.com writes:

    >It seems that whoever was the last person to use sound becomes the
    >sole exclusive owner of the device, and if I try to play some music
    >from another terminal (logged on as someone else) I have to give him
    >the rights all over again. How can I make mandriva stop this behavior?

    /etc/udev/*
    look in there for the dsp file and alter the permissions.

+ Reply to Thread