Fax application like WinFax? - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Fax application like WinFax? - Mandrake ; Hi there! Can anyone recommend a simple solution to send / receive and manage sent / received faxes in Mandrake 10 or above? I'd like to move more and more tasks from windows to linux and so I'm looking for ...

  1. Fax application like WinFax?

    Hi there!

    Can anyone recommend a simple solution to send / receive and manage
    sent / received faxes in Mandrake 10 or above?

    I'd like to move more and more tasks from windows to linux and so I'm
    looking for some application similar to winfax to access a 56k modem.

    The machine is a standalone pc with network access, but there's no
    need for a client- server- fax- application, so I think that hylafax
    is oversized.

    Any recommendations?

    Thanks in advance,
    best regards,

    Markus

    --
    Please reply to group only.
    For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

  2. Re: Fax application like WinFax?

    On Wednesday 29 October 2008 15:51, someone identifying as *Markus R. KeÝ»┐
    ler* wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandrake:/

    > Hi there!
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a simple solution to send / receive and manage
    > sent / received faxes in Mandrake 10 or above?
    >
    > I'd like to move more and more tasks from windows to linux and so I'm
    > looking for some application similar to winfax to access a 56k modem.
    >
    > The machine is a standalone pc with network access, but there's no
    > need for a client- server- fax- application, so I think that hylafax
    > is oversized.
    >
    > Any recommendations?

    No real recommendations as I have little to no knowledge of fax solutions
    and an equal level of skill with regard to Windows and anything running on
    that (sorry excuse for an) operating system, but I would simply like to
    comment this one little thing to your statement that you don't need a
    client/server application...: GNU/Linux is a UNIX-style operating system
    and is therefore /designed/ as a client/server architecture. As such, if
    you want to take advantage of its full functionality, you'd be better off
    with something like /hylafax./

    This said, if you only need something that'll allow you to send faxes and
    receive them - like an e-mail client - I think KDE 4.x has a fax viewer
    called /KFax/ - there will probably be a KDE 3.x version of it too, but I
    haven't got any such application installed here as I don't have a
    telephone/fax line. I also suspect there will be a Gnome alternative if
    you don't like the KDE look & feel, by the way.

    Lastly, Mandrake 10.x is old - I'm still running it myself on this machine,
    though - and MandrakeSoft has switched names to Mandriva (after the merger
    with Conectiva) somewhere in 2005, and since then the distro is called
    Mandriva with the year as the main release number and a "dot something" for
    intermediary releases. And thus, the current distribution is Mandriva
    2009.0.

    As such, you should be aware that updates for Mandrake 10.x are no longer
    available and have not been available anymore for quite a number of years
    already. Installing some rather new software on your distro will therefore
    most likely break a lot of stuff. The newer code uses a later /glibc,/ was
    built using a later compiler version and was designed to work with a recent
    2.6 kernel, whereas in 10.0 and to a lesser extent in 10.1, the code -
    particularly /glibc/ - was still mainly built for use with the 2.4 kernel
    generation. Modern KDE client applications will also require the /qt4/
    libraries, which again may not work well with the version of /glibc/ as
    installed on your machine, etc. In other words, if you endeavor along that
    path, you'll find yourself in dependency hell pretty soon.

    So, my advice would be to install the newer Mandriva 2009.0 - from scratch,
    i.e. do not "upgrade" - if you want to stick with Mandriva, and then you
    can look for an application that does what you want - i.e. a fax client of
    some sorts - among the offered packages.

    Just my two cents worth... ;-) (Hey, they're Eurocents, so they're worth
    close to three Dollarcents by now... )

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: Fax application like WinFax?

    Aragorn wrote:

    >> Can anyone recommend a simple solution to send / receive and manage
    >> sent / received faxes in Mandrake 10 or above?
    >>
    >> I'd like to move more and more tasks from windows to linux and so I'm
    >> looking for some application similar to winfax to access a 56k modem.
    >>
    >> The machine is a standalone pc with network access, but there's no
    >> need for a client- server- fax- application, so I think that hylafax
    >> is oversized.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations?

    >No real recommendations as I have little to no knowledge of fax solutions
    >and an equal level of skill with regard to Windows and anything running on
    >that (sorry excuse for an) operating system, but I would simply like to
    >comment this one little thing to your statement that you don't need a
    >client/server application...: GNU/Linux is a UNIX-style operating system
    >and is therefore /designed/ as a client/server architecture. As such, if

    well, that's not really new to me ;-) But, I do not have to provide a
    "fax solution" for a company network (well, not yet), but instead it
    is just one office pc which I'd like to have fax for.
    Just like a windows box with winfax.

    >you want to take advantage of its full functionality, you'd be better off
    >with something like /hylafax./

    Anyone experiences with "HotWire fax" - they claim to provide features
    similar to these known from winfax?

    Best regards,

    Markus

    --
    Please reply to group only.
    For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

  4. Re: Fax application like WinFax?

    On 2008-10-29, Markus R Ke├čler wrote:
    > Hi there!
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a simple solution to send / receive and manage
    > sent / received faxes in Mandrake 10 or above?
    >
    > I'd like to move more and more tasks from windows to linux and so I'm
    > looking for some application similar to winfax to access a 56k modem.
    >
    > The machine is a standalone pc with network access, but there's no
    > need for a client- server- fax- application, so I think that hylafax
    > is oversized.
    >
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > best regards,
    >
    > Markus

    I've never tried to send or receive a fax using a PC, but efax might
    interest you .

    As Aragorn said, it is recommended that you replace your ancient Mdk 10
    system with the current Mandriva 2009, to avoid possible 'version clashes'
    with current packages (and get the security patches etc!).

    You'll find more people over in alt.os.linux.mandriva, too )

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  5. Re: Fax application like WinFax?

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:51:25 -0400, Markus R. Ke▀ler wrote:

    > The machine is a standalone pc with network access, but there's no
    > need for a client- server- fax- application, so I think that hylafax
    > is oversized.

    efax-gtk works well.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: Fax application like WinFax?

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    >On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:51:25 -0400, Markus R. Ke▀ler wrote:

    >> The machine is a standalone pc with network access, but there's no
    >> need for a client- server- fax- application, so I think that hylafax
    >> is oversized.

    >efax-gtk works well.

    mgetty-sendfax works fine for sending faxes at least. I have not used it
    for receiving.
    No idea why hylafax is "too much". all it does is send and receive faxes.

    >Regards, Dave Hodgins

    >--
    >Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    >(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    >use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  7. Re: Fax application like WinFax?

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 18:28:13 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    > No idea why hylafax is "too much". all it does is send and receive faxes.

    I've got a winmodem (Intel536ep). Hylafax won't work with it, efax will.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  8. Re: Fax application like WinFax?

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake, in article
    , David W. Hodgins wrote:

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> No idea why hylafax is "too much". all it does is send and receive
    >> faxes.

    >I've got a winmodem (Intel536ep). Hylafax won't work with it, efax
    >will.

    What happens when you try? I can think of three possible reasons
    for failure:

    1) The application is using what amounts to be an incorrect init
    string, and the "modem" is barfing

    2) The modem is responding in a manner that the application doesn't
    understand, and the application is barfing.

    3) One application never heard of modems being other than /dev/ttyS?
    and has no idea how to talk to where-ever the winmodem is hiding.

    In the same manner as data modems, there are various Fax modem speeds
    and standards. Looking at my USR manual (real modem), I can see it
    speaks ten data modem standards. and four Fax modem standards (v.17,
    v.21, v27ter and v.29) at six fax mode bit-rates (2400, 4800, 7200,
    9600, 12000, and 14400 bps), not to mention Class I and II.

    I was going to mention that the driver may not be fully compatible, but
    the fact that one application can work and the other doesn't more
    suggests either an init-string problem, or one application is expecting
    to use a mode that the other application doesn't use. In this regard,
    the winmodem is no different from a hardware modem. Use the wrong
    commands/modes with either, and they barf.

    Old guy

  9. Re: Fax application like WinFax?

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:52:27 -0400, Moe Trin wrote:

    > What happens when you try? I can think of three possible reasons
    > for failure:
    > 3) One application never heard of modems being other than /dev/ttyS?
    > and has no idea how to talk to where-ever the winmodem is hiding.

    I tried installing hylafax-server, and after editing the configuration
    scripts to allow /dev/modem to be used (remove calls to stty, and replace
    the output with hardcoded values), I got as far as getting it to talk to,
    and get output from the modem, but the actual sendfax still fails to talk
    to the modem.

    As efax, works fine with winmodems, I'm not going to bother looking at
    the source for the hylafax sendfax, to see why it's failing.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  10. Re: Fax application like WinFax?

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake, in article
    , David W. Hodgins wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:

    >> 3) One application never heard of modems being other than /dev/ttyS?
    >> and has no idea how to talk to where-ever the winmodem is hiding.

    >I tried installing hylafax-server, and after editing the configuration
    >scripts to allow /dev/modem to be used (remove calls to stty, and replace
    >the output with hardcoded values), I got as far as getting it to talk to,
    >and get output from the modem, but the actual sendfax still fails to talk
    >to the modem.

    That's the solution I had in mind. It seems strange, but a number of
    applications insist that modems can only be on /dev/ttyS[0-3]. This
    plays havoc on winmodem and USB device users.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread