On Thursday 23 October 2008 10:14, someone identifying as *EJ* wrote
in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

> Linux 2.6.8.1-12mdksmp #1 SMP Fri Oct 1 11:24:45 CEST
> 2004 i686 Intel(R) Xeon(TM) MP CPU 3.00GHz unknown GNU/Linux
>
> Hi all,
>
> Where is the first place I should be looking as a source of the problem,
> if the 'top' command is hanging? By this I mean, I type the command, hit
> enter, and nothing happens, the cursor goes to the next line, but nothing
> else. No top results, no new command prompt. CTRL-C, won't back out of it,
> I have to close my terminal emulator window.
>
> I can't just reboot as it's a business system server handling 300 users. I
> can schedule a reboot as a last resort, but I'd prefer to know the source
> of the problem, in case it's a symptom of a bigger impending issue.
>
> Thanks for any advice in advance.
>
> Best Regards,

Please do not multipost. If you want to post a message to multiple
newsgroups in order to increase your chances at a usable reply, use
crossposting instead, i.e. put multiple newsgroups - Netiquette generally
recommends keeping the number to a maximum of four - in the "Groups" field
of your newsreader's composer, as I have done now to consolidate this
thread.

I (and others) have already replied to your post in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/
and if you had used crossposting instead, the other people in this
newsgroup here would also have seen the replies you got over there, plus
that the newsreaders of those of us who reside in both groups will
recognize crossposted articles and will mark them as read when they have
already been picked up in the other group.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)