'top' command hanging - Mandrake

This is a discussion on 'top' command hanging - Mandrake ; Hi all, Where is the first place I should be looking as a source of the problem, if the 'top' command is hanging? By this I mean, I type the command, hit enter, and nothing happens, the cursor goes to ...

  1. 'top' command hanging

    Hi all,

    Where is the first place I should be looking as a source of the problem, if
    the 'top' command is hanging? By this I mean, I type the command, hit enter,
    and nothing happens, the cursor goes to the next line, but nothing else. No
    top results, no new command prompt. CTRL-C, won't back out of it, I have to
    close my terminal emulator window.

    I can't just reboot as it's a business system server handling 300 users. I
    can schedule a reboot as a last resort, but I'd prefer to know the source of
    the problem, in case it's a symptom of a bigger impending issue.

    Thanks for any advice in advance.

    Best Regards,

    EJ

  2. Re: 'top' command hanging

    On 2008-10-23, EJ wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Where is the first place I should be looking as a source of the problem, if
    > the 'top' command is hanging? By this I mean, I type the command, hit enter,
    > and nothing happens, the cursor goes to the next line, but nothing else. No
    > top results, no new command prompt. CTRL-C, won't back out of it, I have to
    > close my terminal emulator window.
    >
    > I can't just reboot as it's a business system server handling 300 users. I
    > can schedule a reboot as a last resort, but I'd prefer to know the source of
    > the problem, in case it's a symptom of a bigger impending issue.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice in advance.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    >
    > EJ

    Is the top executable present and un-corrupted? (Probably /usr/bin/top).

    I'd be preparing myself to find either a failing hard disc or a rootkit
    (

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  3. Re: 'top' command hanging

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:10:14 +0100, EJ wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Where is the first place I should be looking as a source of the problem,
    > if the 'top' command is hanging? By this I mean, I type the command, hit
    > enter, and nothing happens, the cursor goes to the next line, but
    > nothing else. No top results, no new command prompt. CTRL-C, won't back
    > out of it, I have to close my terminal emulator window.
    >
    > I can't just reboot as it's a business system server handling 300 users.
    > I can schedule a reboot as a last resort, but I'd prefer to know the
    > source of the problem, in case it's a symptom of a bigger impending
    > issue.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice in advance.

    Check aliases that redirect output of top. Like top >null or top >some
    file. Might also try bypassing the path and give it the direct file name.
    Here it's /usr/bin/top.

  4. Re: 'top' command hanging

    On Thursday 23 October 2008 10:10, someone identifying as *EJ* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandrake:/

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Where is the first place I should be looking as a source of the problem,
    > if the 'top' command is hanging?

    In addition to what the others have already said, you can get a similar
    functionality - i.e. an overview of running processes - by using the /ps/
    command or by downloading and installing /ntop./

    If the version of /top/ as called by your shell with the set /$PATH/ is
    genuine and uncorrupted, then you could try running it through /strace/ to
    see where it hangs. See the /man/ page for details, but a short example
    would be...

    strace top

    > By this I mean, I type the command, hit enter, and nothing happens, the
    > cursor goes to the next line, but nothing else. No top results, no new
    > command prompt. CTRL-C, won't back out of it, I have to close my terminal
    > emulator window.

    Sounds like it's hanging allright. Check with /strace/ where it hangs. It
    might be that you're running a kernel compiled with a different version
    of /gcc/ than your /glibc/ and /top/ were, or that your /glibc/ was
    compiled with a different compiler than /top./

    It's hard to say, really. There are so many things that can go wrong, and
    some of those may be - alas! - foul play, as the other posters noted.

    > I can't just reboot as it's a business system server handling 300 users. I
    > can schedule a reboot as a last resort, but I'd prefer to know the source
    > of the problem, in case it's a symptom of a bigger impending issue.

    I don't suspect that it's the result of a bigger problem - except for a
    hardware problem, which could (and will) of course lead to all kinds of
    mayhem - but it would of course never hurt to check and - if within your
    financial capabilities - run a full diagnostic on the hardware using a
    hardware-based diagnostic card.

    This said, it may also be a good idea to periodically check what /dmesg/ and
    */var/log/messages* have to say.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)